Why do you think people who own N.I's usually have more than one ? Discussions

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by inkliveeva, Sep 8, 2010.

1. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine

Why do you think people who own N.I's usually have more than one ?

I was thinking about this when I went up for my lunch with the dogs, there he was big stinky pinky happy to see me, lovely gentle big boy, with his little sis Toro ( bull terror ) as you know Toro was brought up with the boys since 8 weeks old, she is a nightmare trying to introduce new dogs into the home but Inka just seems to take every thing in his stride, it would be so easy to add to just Inka with other N.Is :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kalasin

Kalasin New Member

Name:
    Kalasin
    I think that's one reason. They get on so well with other dogs, regardless of breed but they can definitely tell when the other dog is an NI and their play together in a pack is completely different to how they play with other breeds. Kiba doesn't pine when my boarding dogs leave, but when we've had NIs in as boarders or the couple of fosters we have taken on he is completely lost when they go and I get a very very clingy and whiney puppy for a good few days. Hence I will be getting him a permanent NI companion next year.

The reason I'll be getting another NI and not a different breed is because I've had a fantastic experience with Kiba, he is so laid back, takes everything in his stride, accepts any dog into our family and adjusts his play and attitude depending on the dogs we get in. He is very very loving and stubbornly loyal. Yes he has awful separation anxiety which is entirely my own fault to the point where I can't go to the toilet without him whining. Yes at the same time I would love another Setter, my Cally was a one in a million dog. But Kiba is just something special and I know all NI owners seem to say that, but I think people just don't realise what we mean until they have an NI for themselves :)
  4. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    i still think blanket statments like 'they get on with all dogs,make great family pets' are not realistic..they are crosses...the ones that get on really well in packs imo have more of their sibe heritage.... and most sibe die hards do not only have one dog ;-)

eta kalasin.... its because Kiba is a cross that makes him 'one in a million'.. cant be repeated again one offs..like my beloved flea :)
  5. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    how long does a dog have to be a dog not to be a cross ?
    :roll:

we are speaking from personal experience here, I know I could bring any breed into Inka and he would accept it, he wouldn't want to fight it, he would lay down and submit till he knew there was no threat, imo Inka doesn't have a lot of sibe heritage to him at all, yet thrives running with a pack of dogs, any breed...
    here he is in a first time meeting...
    [​IMG]
    another first time meeting 2 spaniels we met at the glasgow green
    [​IMG]
    and with his own crowd, 5 of which he hadn't met before
    [​IMG]
    and all sharing what is said to be getting on with all dogs and make great family pets, I know as far as I'm concerned, the N.I's that don't match Inkas criteria are few and far between :grin:
  6. murph

murph New Member

Name:
    James
    Agreed- they are affectively crosses and have not been around enough to develop consistence in type
  7. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    my 2 most definitely don`t get on with other dogs.. and i could never have another dog in my home without bloodshed.

My bitch wasn`t dog aggressive until we added the 2nd NI.. which was for her benefit as she was trying to rough house with our little dog. They thankfully both leave my little dog alone and concentrate on each other.
  8. Kari10

Kari10 New Member

Name:
    Karine
    yeah because all dogs stick to blanket statements made about their breed!!! I don't think!!

My NI DOES get on with ALL other dogs AND she DOES make a GREAT family pet!!! As has every other NI I have had the great pleasure of meeting!!!

Funny how 90% of NI owners say the same things, of course we could all be lying :grin:
  9. boredinstroud

boredinstroud New Member

Name:
    Emily
    'Why do you think people who own N.I's usually have more than one ?'

I'd say that it is quite a compliment to the breed if this is the case...presumably if someone had a bad/difficult experience with their first dog of a certain breed it might put them off getting another?

And certainly my girl loves being around other dogs, although she is a GSD x NI so I guess even more of a 'one-off'
  10. melsgems

melsgems New Member

Name:
    Mel
    beacuse they are gorgeous dogs :) xxx thats why ;)
  11. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    Thanks Melsgems, thats so nice:grin:
  12. Kicks

Kicks New Member

Name:
    Hazel
    I would presume the same reasons why anyone else has multiple dogs of the same breed - because the dog is right for them :)
  13. murph

murph New Member

Name:
    James
    err dont think she was saying anything negative about the 'breed' Just saying the NI was not a breed as such and there is a a lot of variation
  14. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    hello nice friendly first post :roll:

...... have u seen my profile? i have an n.i and an n.i cross :roll:
  15. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    yip :)
    and yip again :) ...spot on murph :)
  16. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Agree with this, sometimes you click with a breed and there is no going back. This is the same across the board with all breeds. I rarely see just the one collie out and people get bitten by the Lurcher/greyhound bug a lot. Its the soft ears and kissable head :mrgreen:
  17. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    What she said!!:lol: It depends what does it for you and how the dogs fit in with your lifestyle... bit like me with my "setter bug";-) :lol: :lol:
  18. Kari10

Kari10 New Member

Name:
    Karine
    There was nothing unfriendly about my post at all, I merely pointed out that blanket statements cannot be applied to any breed of dog!! Every dog is an individual and NIs more so, I feel anyway. The NIs I have met are extemely submissive and get along with most dogs yet I know that isnt the case with all of them. The same with other breeds, not all stick to the usual behaviours.
  19. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    explanation marks and capitol letters on a forum..a friendly post does not make :)
  20. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    The only people I have met with Multiple NIs (apart form Layla) have had a dog and a bitch in order to have pups.

Other than that they have been only dogs as the owners have not felt they could deal with 2.

People on here who have mulitple ones obviously feel they have found a type of dog that fits their lifestyle. I Will always have a BC or 2 as I love them for all the good and bad points they have, but I LOVE the looks of certain lines. ...but I find with these types there are various different personality types (some more Sibe like, others more GSD like), so I am not sure temperament can come into it as much as looks (which I personally have no issues with).
  21. Kari10

Kari10 New Member

Name:
    Karine
    Ah of course!!! Do excuse me for not understand the rules around posting! Emphasis is seen as unfriendly, of course!! How could I have not known that?!?!? As for punctuation, well thats just plain rude!! :lol: