Why so many saluki lurcher crosses . Discussions

Discussion in 'Saluki' started by Murf, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf

Why so many saluki lurcher crosses .

Why do i see so many Saluki lurcher Crosses yet never see a saluki :shock:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Point being a pure Saluki doesnt make the best worker due to their temperament, which can be aloof and should be. Cross it with a Greyhound and you get a far more biddable animal with a huge amount of stamina from the Saluki.
  4. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    I always wonder where are all the salukis though that father these litters or are in the lines - you never see any!
  5. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    I don't know. Lurcher link have a few salukis up for rehoming.
  6. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I see a lot of saluki crosses in rescue ...
  7. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Some people will run a pure Saluki, not too many though. They are not the most obedient, but have incredible stamina. Its not unusual for people to keep one that a proven coursing dog to use on Greys or Lurchers. There are some really good ones about. Many Greys lack stamina, the Saluki helps that.
  8. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Maybe they are easier to spot than other lurcher types too..lol
    ear head and tails wise...
  9. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Maybe. The smooth Salukis are amazing!!

http://www.saluki.ru/images/stand.jpg
  10. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Another litter of crosses seen today ...
  11. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    The farm that bred Pharaoh had a saluki and a pharaoh hound 'in the back' just for breeding with the retired greyhounds they used to 'make' the lurchers they work and sell...

The farmer kept a pack of lurchers for rabbiting on other farms and to keep the rabbits down on his own farm as well as to try and protect the sand cliff on the edge of his farm from the erosion being caused by the rabbits... (seemed to be having some effect as the cliff bounded by his fences did jut out a bit further than the surrounding cliff edges)....

He made no secret of the fact he was trying to breed 'the perfect sand lurcher' although Pharaoh and his litter were all handed to the dog warden after the mother refused to nurse them and he couldn't hand rear them all. He is still breeding and running the lurchers as far as I am aware.

I asked him where he got the Saluki and Pharaoh hound from, he said 'same farm I got my sheep from in Wales asked him to get me a dog when he delivered the next lot and he brought the puppy'.

So my guess would be puppy farms.
  12. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    The thing is for many litters of Saluki crosses now neither parent has to be pure Saluki, just Lurcher to Lurcher, Lurcher to Longdog, or Longdog to Longdog, some crosses are first crosses, some have a pedigree a generation or two ago, and some have them further back then that, I mean talking generally you should see some of the percentages of whats in certain dogs to the breeders guestimation, I've seen people discussing this on other forums, and it does make me giggle when theres so many breeds in a litter that even the breeder needs help working out what the guestimation percentages are.