Wisdom Panel DNA test results are in! General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Bulldogs4Life, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee

Wisdom Panel DNA test results are in!

While I await Embark's rerun on Kratos I decided to do a Wisdom Panel test. Took about two weeks to get results. Here are the results and also pics which I recently posted elsewhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I have never done any DNA testing, though Merry's breeders do DNA test for health conditions, and she is clear for NCCD, MLS and Factor VII deficiency. I wouldn't expect her to be anything other than 100% Beagle. I am therefore asking why have you tested for Kratos' breed, and would this result have any effect on his AKC registration?
    I'm not being picky, just trying to understand why you bother testing for breed.
  4. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Embark includes the health testing and it's affordable on that front.

But to answer your questions the reason why I wanted to test for breed is because I was curious to see if it would pick up on the Staffordshire Bull Terrier in his ancestry. Which it did, so that's pretty good. I will patiently await Embark updated results. By using dogs with known lineage you can test the test per sae.

He's not AKC registered, unlike Embark, Wisdom Panel does not seperate APBT from AST. So either will give AST result. Im hoping one day they will because there has developed genetic differences giving the ability to create seperate reference panel if they'd like and maybe be more helpful to those with mixes. Kind of thought it was silly for them to develop it as AST also, because AKC ASTs are so uncommon.
    However, I have heard that AKC doesn't give a hoot about results of DNA test. Though with something like a cross you could report the breeder I'd guess, as you can contact registries to investigate fraudulent registration. I know in an Embark result the dog was AKC supposed to be Frenchie and result was Frenchton. So you can imagine that can of worms.

As far as Kratos registration though in his pedigree the SBT is indicated by ** before the dogs name. AST have * before the dogs names if they appear in a dogs pedigree, he doesn't have any AST, but I've had past dogs with AmStaff lines.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thank you. Officially no APBT's over here, so no such complications.
    In our registration system, ** after the dog's name would signify a first gen KC approved outcross, which would reduce to a single * the next gen. In the late '50's I had a FT bred Golden who had some Labrador blood - supposedly to increase speed in the field. Her sire had a single *, but her reg card showed her as being pure-bred.
    This same system seems to also apply to some KC Border Collies which are carrying ISDS lines.
  6. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I really enjoyed reading about this and learning how similar things take place in other breeds. He's registered with ADBA, APDR and OFRNR as pure bred APBT. Some of the dogs in his ped are UKC registered but he isn't, might single him though as I like having options to compete in different events.
    Was that the Golden you posted a photo on when we were discussing somatic mutations? Nice looking dog as I remember.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    No. I have very few photos of her. Black and white hard copies will be in a large cardboard box in the attic. One day I might get round to scanning in some of my old dog photos - if I live long enough!
  8. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Oh ok. I think it was a male Golden you posted a pic of.