Wish my wee Mij luck..... General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Phil, May 10, 2016.

1. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Azz likes this.

Wish my wee Mij luck.....

Mij (3 year old ESS) is booked in tomorrow to get castrated. Always a worry.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    He'll be fine. Ed was about 15 months but hardly noticed his surprisingly small wound - no cone or special treatment was needed.
    Best wishes Mij.
  4. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Cheers.

In 30 odd years of dogs - they have all been left entire.

Only ever got bitches done early.

With an IWH I'm keen to let Willow (10 months) have her first season so poor Mij (3 years) pays the price.

Lots of differing opinions but that's what I'm going with.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes, Ed was the first male I had had castrated too. My bitches have all been spayed eventually, but the health reasons are more proven for them. One plus point - he may wreck fewer cages in due course!
  6. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Aye - Mij is turbo charged in every department.

He can have an attitude too when it suits him.

We'll see how things pan out. I love him how he is even if he's very full on. Hopefully he will come back the same Mij and won't loose more than his wedding vegetables.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Phil likes this.
    Good luck Mij [I cannot believe he is three already]. Never having had a dog, only bitches, I have no experience of dogs being castrated. Bitches following spaying seem to get over it with no problem and Pereg was the only one who needed a cone.

I do not know if there are health reasons for castrating a dog but I do regarding bitches being spayed, and I am all for both dogs and bitches being "done" unless they are used for breeding.
  8. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Phil likes this.
    Please remember male dogs can still get a bitch pregnant up to 3 months after being neutered.
    Oh it don't stop them from having "fun" either :rolleyes: My K9 as been neutered & still have "fun" with his toy dog :D
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Why ?
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    Little One, Pereg, little Baby Ziva who was thrown away 11 days after I had her by the person from whom she came and who had agreed to look after her for a few dayd because I had an emergency hospital admission. She was never found.

Bitches allowed to roam free. Good idea to spay them or not?

Tikva was another one. Seen at supposedly 3 weeks old on the Tuesday and told to go collect her on the Friday. Yet another accident.

What happened to her 7 litter mates?

Yes, I do believe in spaying bitches and castrating dogs. I have seen too many results of tiny puppies being dumped/or chucked into the nearest agricultural field.

And that is why I believe in spaying bitches and castrating/neutering dogs that are not going to be used for breeding except to add to the standard of that breed.

And that is why.
  11. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I'm okay with it when its done at the appropriate age. Nigredo had his done way too early. Causes lots of problems. I have decided I don't want anymore dogs after these pass, but before I decided that, I said I'd not neuter my next male.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    mjfromga likes this.
    @mjfromga - Nigredo was definitely far too young but you had no say in the matter. I am sure that had it been your decision you would not have agreed with it.
  13. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Not sure if all vets do this or not but my vets won't neuter any male dog under 12 months old, they do like medium dog to be over 18 months & over 2 years old for large & giant breeds.
    Bitches they like to let them have their first season before spaying them & large giant breeds after they have had their 2nd season
  14. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Malka, Azz and CaroleC like this.
    Vet called to say all went well - Karen away to get him..
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @Phil - very gentle hugs for the lad when he feels up to it.
  16. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    I'm sure he'll be fine, Phil. I'm pretty sure that you'll feel a lot worse about it than he does - men always do :)
  17. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    He seems pretty oblivious to his ordeal.
  18. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Azz likes this.
    I’m not against it if there is a valid reason, but the idea that every intact animal is a breeding animal is a gross overstatement; many people choose to keep their dogs/bitches intact for reasons far from breeding intentions.

Unplanned pregnancies and allowing animals to roam doesn’t warrant that every non breeding dog/bitch should be neutered.
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Vee - you do not live where I do, where mongrel dogs and bitches are allowed to roam free - to say nothing of the dumped dogs from town.

Unplanned pregnancies here end up with puppies thrown away, as Baby Ziva was while I was in hospital.

Is that not a valid reason to spay/castrate dogs and bitches that are allowed to roam free? None of them having had any vaccinations, including rabies, and none having been treated for worms, flees and ticks.

"Why should we" is the answer of the owners.

Sure there are breeders of pedigree dogs, somewhere in the Country, and there are a few dogs I only see once a week when taken out for a walk on the Sabbath. At the moment the "in" thing is to have a Dobe with cropped ears, still strapped up, and I only ever see them for a few weeks dragging a 20+ year old guy along the road.

Then a few months later they vanish.

Yes, I am 100% convinced that non-breeding dogs and bitches should be castrated/spayed.