Wolf Dog article General Chat

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by Tupacs2legs, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla

Wolf Dog article

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I think they have got the wrong people as the spokespeople for the breed (from what I have seen elsewhere :()
  4. tabsmagic

tabsmagic New Member

Name:
    tabs
    i have no clue about the breeding side....
    but the article says there are concerns about having hybrid wolves in houses....
    Surely if they have been bred in domestic circumstances and properly trained this should not be an issue?
  5. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    This is a big concern for me and should be for any owner of even a slightly wolfie looking dog. Its been shown in the US that these F3 and F4 crosses do not do well in a domestic environment unless owned by very experienced people. There also do not seem to do well in crowed areas and need space to be happy. This is going to be near to impossible in the hugly over crowded UK and people will be happy to jump on the band wagon to sell these crosses because of the high price tag.

All its going to take is a few incidents and we will be looking at another pitbull mess to deal with. A lot of the public already view large dogs as a menace so it really wont take much. If this happens it wont just be these crosses that are targeted but any wolfy 'type' dogs which could cover anything from NI, Utes Sibes ect to Elkhounds and akitas . . .
  6. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Sibes, Elkhounds and akitas aren't wolfy type dogs tho!
  7. littlewolf

littlewolf New Member

Name:
    Elle
    I'd say that a lot of people think sibes look wolfy though. And a lot of people just go with appearance, tarring all of that "look" with the same stupid brush.
  8. tabsmagic

tabsmagic New Member

Name:
    tabs
    ok i understand the concern now......

yep - the public and media just love a bandwagon to jump on-
  9. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Have you ever saw a real live Sibe??? they look nothing like wolves..possibly the colouring..thats about it..
  10. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    As we have said before, it is the individuals perception.
  11. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    No but jo public would still look at them with doubt though and thats the problem.

Who many staffies and staffie crosses have run afoul of the pitbull 'type' thing and suffered because of it? Yet have looked nothing like a pit . . . .
  12. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    i do remember when the kelham court case was going on this was said then too,dont think anyone fell foul of it then?
    hmm, if your dogs (sibes, mals ,elkies,akitas) have their papers then theres no prob :?

im thinking that the saarloos and csv wont stand a chance tho :-(
  13. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I just think its a bit mess waiting to happne and see no reason for the laws to have been relaxed to such a degree. Why does anyone need to own an F3 wolf cross?
  14. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    imo they dont ;-)
    i dont want csv's and saarloos being caught up in the confusion,i for one are glad that defra came to their senses regarding these breeds.
  15. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I would agree that they don't - but the dogs become a status symbol.....(as we have seen with the SBTs and 'type')

But with people so publicly talking about breeding from their F3 dog...if it is F3....I'm sure there will be no shortage of homes :(
  16. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    The problem is, the dda, doesn't take into account parentage when deciding if a dog is section 1 type. The dog could be a kc reg staff that doesn't quite fit the staffy standard, from parents who are both kc reg, I'm afraid it doesn't matter.

In the extremely unlikely event that wolfdogs are added to the dda's section 1, don't think kc paperwork alone will save you and your dog.

Under the dda's rules, you are guilty, until you can prove your innocense, not the other way round.

I agree, that I doubt the csv, saarloos or any of their crosses would stand a chance. Though, I honistly think it is more likely to be staffy's being added to section 1 if any breed is going to be. Incidentally, breeds or types can be added to section 1 at any time.

I don't think f3 and f4 wolfdogs should have been removed from the dwa, and I'll go as far as to say, that they should be relisted. Not because I think they're dangerous, but because I think most people, myself included, do not have the experience, understanding or lifestyle, to best care for these levels of wolfdogs.

I'd like to know whose charging up to £5000 for a wolfdog, seems a bit expensive.
  17. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    I thought it was a poorly written article, with little understanding or interest in the subject. Then there were the inaccuracies as well; some like the Saarloos breeding were obvious.

There is a basic problem with wolfdogs and that is they will never become respectable while the people who promote them continue to lie and deceive. I don't mean to include everyone but there are enough people who do and who make a lot of noise about it.

My personal belief is that The Czech is fine animal but can be a difficult adult dog for some people to handle. The Saarloos can be a very difficult dog to understand and live with; more so than the Czech. Given that they are both 'available' dog breeds that many people are finding difficult to cope with then imagine the problems that selling F3 wolfdogs (and there are those prepared to sell F1 as F3) to inexperienced or even first time pet owners.

It is probably inevitable that one of these dogs will bite someone (and the dogs always pay with their lives) and we will see the implementation of breed specific legislation as is happening in the USA.
  18. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Absolutely agree.
  19. alady??

alady?? New Member

Name:
    Lanie
    Absolutely agree, and I also really disagree with the people who are crossing the Saarloos and the Czech wolf with Utes and Inuits? :cry:

They are all different temperament, they all need a different kind of owner and as this is a new mix how can they know the temperament that will come through..this is a concern with any new breed or mix in the early stages but taking into account the jobs the wolfdogs where bred for and mixing them both together or mixing with Wolfalikes to me is a bit of a russian roulette with how they will be as teenagers....

Im afraid that these mixed breeds and hybrids are causing confusion with what is a wolfalike dog and what is a wolfdog, infact I myself have had to ask certain sites to remove some advertisements as things like 3/4 Saarloos are advertised under the bracket of Utonagan a wolf look alike??? Not exactly the same kind of new owner or prospective family In my opinion.

Already some insurance companies wont cover wol look a likes due to the confusion of what has and has not wolf content in them..

And I must also say that I cant understand why such new breeds who are only gaining recognition in their own right are being used to mix when they should be concentrating on establishing the breeds teaching people about the breeds and promoting them in the right manner to the right owners....before we all end up in a big mess.
  20. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    But Mals etc aren't a wolf "type"..they are breeds in their own right..with papers and dna to back them up
  21. alady??

alady?? New Member

Name:
    Lanie
    I agree also.....but all Utes have the same even tho not KC registered they have a traceable pedigree and also DNA to back them up.... it is seriously imortant right now for ALL wolfalikes and wolfdogs to ensure they have all relevant paperwork and also every litter is DNA logged at the KC because of all this...as yo know the dogs get lifted and then we have to prove otherwise!! :shock:

Most times DEFRA know straight off what they are dealing with but the more these dogs are mixed up and the more people for whatever reason I cant fathom want to bring in more wolf the more confusing for all authorities and the more risk they put our breeds under...and the more unhappy "pets" there are in the world

Keep the wolf out of the Dog:evil: