Wolf & her hybrid puppies Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by 6JRT's, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u

Wolf & her hybrid puppies

Arrived at rescue home today to hear we been asked to take in a wolf & her hybrid puppies plus other dogs.
    Not sure if rescue home owner is going to take them in or not, the request was asked by a court up north.

Personally I don't think its right to have a wild/tame wolf as a pet, they are an wild animal & should be left in the wild & not domesticated(not sure if spelt right)

No one from the courts knows which breed of dog as been mated with the wolf, all we know is the owner has been sent to prison for stealing Eagle eggs, we also know there are 5 adult dogs plus wolf & 4 newborn pups.

As anyone on here every owned a wolf or wolf hybrid, is there a law against owning a wolf or wolf hybrids, if not do you need a licence or are they just classed as dogs ?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    6JRT's likes this.
    As far as I was aware they are classed as wild animals and you'd need a license - did your rescue contact Defra at all?

I think these dogs may end up being put down - wolves are unpredictable and are not domesticated pets, having one in the home could be a recipe for disaster.

Having said that, I'd love to see some pics :lol:
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    The owner of rescue home is going up north to see them tomorrow, he's meeting an keeper from animal park (safari) up there, we not even sure where wolf, pups & other dogs are staying, all we were told is the RSPCA are aware of them & will be monitoring them for next 24 hours, no other details given.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    6JRT's likes this.
    Hybrids can be kept without a licence in this country if they are three generations removed from the wild animal. Owning a first generation wolf-dog hybrid or an outright wolf itself is illegal in the UK without a special licence, under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 wild animals and hybrids do require a license. Which your average pet owner is unlikely to be granted.
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Thanks Vee we not know until rescue home owner & keeper from Safari park goes look at them tomorrow, its not something we have come across before, so will need experts advice on whether mother wolf is pure or hybrid, I do know the rescue home owner is bit reluctant to having the wolf & pups, (if mum is wolf) but is willing to go have look at them & to see what the Safari expert says, but he has said he take the other adult dogs as long as they are not wolf hybrids.
  7. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    6JRT's likes this.
    Surely if the dam is a wolf there is no point is your rescue even looking at them how are you going to safely look after a wolf and what are you going to do with it when pups are weaned..

I would think you are putting staff at risk if you take a wolf on.
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  9. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Owner of rescue home is more likely just to take the other dogs as long as they not wolf hybrids, we are thinking he will only take the mum & pups if they are not wolves, there are dogs that look like wolves but are in fact are dogs they are the Tamaskan, Northern Inuit Dog, Utonagan & Finnish Lapphund, the safari park wolf keeper will be able to tell whether they are wolves or one of the wolf look alike dogs.

I have never heard of Tamaskan, Northern Inuit Dog, Utonagan & the Finnish Lapphund dogs until I arrived at work today & was told by the safari park wolf keeper, that people are selling these dogs as wolf hybrids ? so until we hear at 3pm today we won't know for sure.
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    6JRT's likes this.
    [QUOTE="6JRT's,
    I have never heard of Tamaskan, Northern Inuit Dog, Utonagan & the Finnish Lapphund dogs until I arrived at work today & was told by the safari park wolf keeper, that people are selling these dogs as wolf hybrids ? so until we hear at 3pm today we won't know for sure.[/QUOTE]

These breeds have been around for years ,all man made to ‘look’ like wolves’ no wolf breeding involved.
    as far as im aware TheSaarloos ,Czech wolf dog.and the Lupo Italiano are the only three genuine breeds that were crossed with GSD & Wolf.
  11. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    My guess would be that it's not actually a genuine Wolf, but a mix of wolfy looking breeds. It's quite common practice with some questionable breeders mixing the Saarloos and the Czech wolf dog which results in very wolfy looking dogs.
  12. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    These breeds have been around for years ,all man made to ‘look’ like wolves’ no wolf breeding involved.
    as far as im aware TheSaarloos ,Czech wolf dog.and the Lupo Italiano are the only three genuine breeds that were crossed with GSD & Wolf.[/QUOTE]

thats my understanding too, I cant understand how you could mistake the Finnish Lapphund as a wolfy type dog either .
  13. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    ..................UPDATE..........
    Wolf is 100% pure wolf & still very much wild, rescue home owner said the wolf & her pups were living in pen in field behide farmhouse in filthy conditions & no one could get near her or her pups, she was unfortunately shot dead.
    The other dogs were also very wild, they too were unfortunately shot dead, the rescue home owner said the living conditions of all the animals were disgusting each pen was full of poo & bones & skunk to high heaven, he also said if the RSPCA had told the court in the first place that all dogs were wild, he wouldn't have gone up there to look at the dogs (wolf).
    He also said there were broken bird aviaries everywhere, Which was smashed up by the RSPCA & the RSVB (whatever the bird organision is called) when they raided property looking for wild bird eggs & wild birds some weeks previously.
    Not sure what as happened to pups, but have funny feeling they were put to sleep (rescue home owner not said anything about the pups) he is however fuming that the RSPCA had left the dogs to continue living in the disgusting conditions, after they had already raided the property weeks earlier & only told the court that there were dogs, wolf & hybrids pups still living at the property, after the owner was sent to prison, rescue home owner reported back to court that all dogs & wolf was shot dead because they were far to wild, to bring back to rescue home or to any other rescue home.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    If that was a pure wolf, could you please post a link to the story as I cannot find it anywhere in the UK media.
  15. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    All sounds very odd to me ???
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Unless I have missed it, which is highly unlikely because there is no mention at all in any of the UK media, this is, indeed, a very "odd" story.

I have even made an international telephone call to a contact of mine in the UK who has strong connections to do with licensing wild animals, and he can not find any details of a wolf anywhere.
  17. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Man was jailed for stealing bird eggs, not for having wolf, so you need to look up about who's been sent to jail for having wild bird eggs.
  18. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Wouldn't it make the news though that he owned a Wolf too? I mean, it's illegal and not something you hear about everyday. Would it make next weeks news maybe if it was only discovered today?
  19. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Why would the RSPCA ,and RSVB smash up aviaries ? That does not make sense, they don't do things like that.

Why would the RSPCA need a courts permission to remove animals that have been abused....I thought courts only came into play when the prosecution was active.

None of it adds up
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Last one reported on that subject was in December 2011 in East London.

Nothing about a wolf though.

Sorry Tina but your story does not make sense and there is nothing about it that my connection in the UK could find.

I will, however, stand corrected and apologise to you if I see a legitimate link to a current story about a wolf, as in your OP.
  21. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Please can I have your contact's name as the owner of the rescue home wants to see if he's on the courts wildlife list & if not he would like to inquire why not.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.