Worth joining a Breed Club if not showing/competing? General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Pep_Sounds, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Pep_Sounds

Pep_Sounds New Member

Name:
    Ash

Worth joining a Breed Club if not showing/competing?

Hi, sorry if this has already been discussed but haven't found any recent/related posts regarding breed club membership for those not interested in showing.

I have had a look on the website and facebook page of the Scottish Breed Club for my dog's breed, however I am unsure whether it is really for us as we have no intention of either breeding or showing our girl, though I may consider starting Agility purely for fun and exercise and stimulation when she is old enough.

Do any of you who do not show/compete belong to your breed's Breed Club? If so, what has been your experience of the club? Other than being a good resource of breed-knowledgable people, do you have regular meet ups and "just for fun" events, or is there more focus on showing and KC activities?

I do intend to contact our breed's Breed Club directly for more details, however it would be nice to hear other people's views also.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. JulieSS

JulieSS New Member

Name:
    JulieSS
    When I was a member of my previous breed's breed club in Norway they had some groups in different areas of the country that would meet up and go for walks etc.

I'm not currently a member of my breeds club, and I doubt I will be until he needs to be appraised and if we have to.
    If you just want to meet other individuals, go for sociable walks and meet up etc. there are better and more free options like FaceB groups, Dogsey thread and so on :) . Our breeder have got a FaceB group and we've met some people through that and gone for walks.
  4. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    I was a member of the Breed Club of the breed I have now before I had one:lol:

I joined because they did working tests and had fun days as well as running shows.

I did compete in obedience and agility at the time with the breed I had but their was very little interest in that side of things with the breed club.

I'd say join and see how it goes:grin:
  5. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    i'd join a breed club if they included other activities besides showing. i wouldn't bother for my breed if i didn't show.