Would like another dog Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by NewRoc84, Jun 16, 2011.

1. NewRoc84

NewRoc84 New Member

Name:
    Natasha

Would like another dog

Hi there I have posted on the introductions board

I have a question... As an owner of a beagle pup we are already thinking of adding to our lively household (4 young children 2 cats and of course our beagle pup) were looking to take in another dog preferably into next year or so i do ask that the new dog but is clearly not so shall I say lively... I'm up for suggestions... But here is my wants for a better word... Preferably short haired and small (jackrussel small) obviously good with children and other animals not hat I would call a "pretty" dog a lasha apso or something like this

Any suggestions (or questions) please feel free

Thanks Natasha
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Hi Natasha - please edit your post with more info as described in the sticky thread - people will have a better idea of your circumstances then :)
  4. NewRoc84

NewRoc84 New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    hi there ill requestion this thread...

I would eventually like to get another dog to add to our very busy lifestyle...

we have got a dog he is a 16 week old beagle so were thinking into the new year before we get a new dog... my husband has been brought up around dog but i havent but having our beagle has been so nice we would like another...
    as for lifestyle i work part time 8-3 but my husband is home most of the day exceot when he does the school run and occasional going to the shop or town...
    excersise well as i said previous my husband is at home all day so as much as is needed...
    we have a very busy lively house with 4 young children (ages 9,7,4 and 2) a 16 week old beagle pup and 2 cats there is never a dull moment here...
    as my husband has been brought up around busy working dogs and we got a beagle (who we are currently in the process of traning) i would prefer a more relaxed dog who like a bit of a run but not too much (if you know what i mean) one that clearly gets on with other animals and most importantly children... we dont want a big dog as we have had to many near misses with friends big dogs (running around and many a times knocking over my children) would prefer a small (or that of a size of a beagle or smaller not toy though) relaxed dog if possible...
    previously thought about a jack russel but foundout that this breed was also a working dog so would be quite an "excitable" dog for what i would prefer

any suggestions???
    please help

also just as an added extra... and yes i know im being fussy... my husband dont want something like a "pretty" dog like a Lhasa Apso or something like this as he said he would be the one walking it all the time... now if it were my choice it would some something like this... but cant have it all can we now???
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2011
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I would suggest waiting until your current dog is at LEAST 18 months old before getting another..............
  6. NewRoc84

NewRoc84 New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    fair enough but again my lifestyle isnt possibly going to change much between now and then so any ideas again so at least i can research on that specific breed...
  7. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Have you considered a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel?
  8. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Perhaps your husband has the 'show dog' view of "pretty" breeds in his mind? most pet Shih-Tzu's, Lhasa Apso's, Min Poodles, Maltese, Bichon, Yorkies, etc., really look nothing like the ones on TV when sporting a less fancy hairdo. ;) It is shame he has that view, because a lot of the "pretty" breeds sound like they would meet your requirements very well!

Apart from the above, you might want to look at Pugs, Westies and Border Terriers.
  9. NewRoc84

NewRoc84 New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    ok ill make you a fair deal :grin: if you can find me a picture of any of the above without looking "Pretty" (as my husband would put it lightly) then game on... if not then ill have to consider a westie (a dog which i would and have always since i was a little nipper wanted)

is it true that westies are yappers???

would you recomend a jack russel??? (considering my requirements)
  10. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Maltese:

[​IMG]

Min Poodle:

[​IMG]

Bichon:

[​IMG]

Shih Tzu:

[​IMG]

Yorkie (mine :mrgreen:):

[​IMG]

Just some random images off Google and one of my own. I don't think any of these dogs are too "pretty", but I could be wrong! :mrgreen:
  11. NewRoc84

NewRoc84 New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    very nice but i will agree im with you on your yorkie... :lol:

but i would love a westie...

so ok i have a top two now lol
    but do you think theywould get on with a beagle and my hetic household???
  12. eyescrye

eyescrye New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    Omg how cute.....is your yorkie he only looks about 5 inches tall in that pic,and hes adorable.....
    I would agree i dont think you could go wrong with a king charles cavalier,we used to have one and he was great,a pleasure to walk,be with the kids and never did he get nasty...my kids still talk about him with real love.xx
  13. NewRoc84

NewRoc84 New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    I don't know why we chose to not go with a cavlier king Charles I know I'm being awkward and I'm sorry

Any further suggestions...
  14. Cadi

Cadi New Member

Name:
    Cadi
    I'm not exactly as well versed as some people here but maybe I can help?

Ever thought of a French Bulldog or a Boston Terrier? French Bulldogs are known as couch potatoes so hopefully he'll bring in some quiet energy. Boston Terriers are supposedly trainable and have more of the 'terrier' spirit than the FB but still more laidback than a full blown terrier.

They're both small and not too 'pretty'.

If they are too laidback for you, how about a whippet or an Italian greyhound? They're called the 40mph Couch Potatoes for a reason. ;)
  15. NewRoc84

NewRoc84 New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    Ok looked at pictures (and I know I'm being awkward but I don't want to get a dog that I don't like if this makes sense) my hubby knows that both these types of dogs (because of there noses has major breathing difficultys) so hate me if you will but any other couch potato type of dogs???
  16. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Pity, I think Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are utterly fantastic family dogs.

How about a mini schnauzer? Dachshund? Mini poodle (they don't have to have the silly pom pom hair cut!)? Staffies are great with kids. I've met a few Tibetan terriers who have all been brilliant with children.
  17. NewRoc84

NewRoc84 New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    can you get small staffies (about the sizes of beagles???

wouldnt mind a staffie (just dont want the associated chav stamp)

am i being to pickey??? a relaxing and small(ish) dog???
  18. NewRoc84

NewRoc84 New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    well regardless of what i have asked for and what i have said my husband has decided that after christmas when beagle is well trained that we ARE getting a jack russel (his words not mine) i said that a JR would be hyper like a beagle but he dont care and that hopefully the beagle would help "calm" the JR down... my questions were for nothing... (hes going to be the one who gets annoyed when he realised how "active" a JR is

ARGGGGGG
  19. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    totally agree with this, maybe even longer!
    oh yes it will lol your dog wont be 16 weeks, it will be a little teen for a start :lol:
    no wonder your screaming ARGGGGG I would too!
  20. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    I have a rescue staffie called Coco. She's the sweetest, most loving and gentle thing you could ever wish to meet...and she's small!! Well at least I think she is....my other dogs are greys and lurchers so everything looks small compared to them!!:mrgreen:
    Also if you're looking for a couch potato....greyhounds are just that. We have an ex-racer called Guinness and he's such a lazy boy!! So was our previous grey Holly. You can get smaller ones too. But they should be cat tested first as a lot of greys are not cat friendly, but a lot are too!
  21. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    You can get small Staffies, it depends on their breeding. Badly bred "chavvy" staffs tend to be bigger. Staffs from proper breeders (especially females) are actually a lot smaller than your BYB staff. I actually offended a breeder at Discover Dogs by commenting on how small her staffs were :blush: She told me I'd obviously seen badly bred ones and hers were the correct size!