Would you get a breed that you couldn't insure? Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Alphatest, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz

Would you get a breed that you couldn't insure?

Either through the breed being on the insurers exclusion list, or just because it was prohibitively expensive?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Yes. Theres other ways, to make sure moneys there if ever you needed it for accidents and such!
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    No, I do not have the level of disposable income available should a condition which required either a) a large lump sum say of several thousand pounds to be paid out for an acute condition or b) a chronic condition which could several tens of thousands ove the years.

Of course if I won the lottery I may think again (as long as my household insurance covered me for third party liability).
  5. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

I doubt it, didnt know there were breeds like that but if that was the case I would need to know why, and if it was the breed had such horrendous health problems or aggression issues then most likely no, I would not support someone breeding a breed like that

but also Border Collies and mutts are the breeds I like best, if they were uninsurable suddenly then yes I would still get them
  6. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Not now, not after the epilepsy costs we've had with Loki.:grin:
  7. Jpepper

Jpepper New Member

Name:
    Jeffrey
    I've never got dog insurance.... Just put a little back each paycheck for my dogs it's called "insurance" lol.
  8. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass
    If you join Dogs Trust one of the benefits is third party liability insurance. It's only about £29 per year.
  9. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    Depends...On whether or not I have the finances to deal with injury, sickness etc
  10. Jpepper

Jpepper New Member

Name:
    Jeffrey
    Just curious, have you had to use your insurance? I'm asking because I haven't run into any problems where I need insurance but I do now how to staple and stitch up cuts etc and my dogs are more prone to get hurt because of the type of game they hunt. But anyways, the way I see it is I'd pay a complete year month to month for insurance and not need it once that entire year. Well why not just use that money you paid insurance to set back in a specific account and when something does happen the money is already there?
  11. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    I wouldn't insurance is the safety net for us to know we can give the dogs the best they need if needed and we have needed it three times now. Although we haven't yet made a claim for Dillon knowing he has insurance for x-rays and op if needed is very reassuring. When Gorden had a job and a good wage we still had insurance we did not have the amount of money needed to give Ollie the tests he needed. Now Gorden is self employed money can be tight so we rest assured knowing we can give Dillon the best for an amount we can afford. We have always found these things catch you out without warning.
  12. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear

I know but many household insurance policies include it, so I would not see any reason to pay for it twice (which could also prove problematic if you had to make a claim) and also I am afraid I do not support the policies of Dogs Trust so I could not ethically or morally purchase any products from them.
  13. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Rocky was insured up until the last two years - when M&S added his breed to their exclusion list :( and it's not just them, I think all the major insurers have.

Smokey & Tass - I'm fairly sure I read that none of the insurers will cover a dog that is PP trained... you might want to look into that to be on the safe side.
  14. youngstevie

youngstevie

Not sure about 'a breed' as I can not think of any, but they wouldn't insure Reah for what I needed her insured for, ie legs
    so I opened a bank account and saved money each week in there, surprising how quickly it mounts up.
  15. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    No even though I don't insure.

If a breed cannot be insured then it is usually because of the health risks within the breed and I want a healthy dog that has the best possible chance of reaching a good age
  16. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    ....or idiot owners - in the case of Presa's anyway (I think they're usually quite a sturdy breed).
  17. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    what breeds are exluded and why?
    just interest really.

Personally know, complete lifeline when sweep got chased onto a busy road and got hit by a bus
  18. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Here's M&S's exclusion list:

• Any dogs used for trade or business such as security guard dogs
    • American Bull Dogs
      [*]American Pit Bull Terriers
      [*]American Staffordshire Bull Terriers
      [*]Argentine Dogos
    • Canary Dogs
    • Cane Corsos
    • Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs
      [*]Dogo Argentinos
      [*]Dogue Brasileros
      [*]Fila BraSilieros
    • Irish Staffordshire Bull Terriers
      [*]Japanese Tosas
    • Northern Inuit Dogs
    • Perro De Pressa Canarios
      [*]Pit Bull Terriers
    • Presa Canarios
    • Racing greyhounds
    • Saarlooswolfhonden
      [*]Tosa Inus
    • Utonagans
      [*]Wolf Hybrids

The ones on grey are banned breeds. A lot don't cover Shar Pei's either. I guess some for health reasons and some because so many idiot owners are attracted to them :?
  19. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    I've never insured a dog in my life despite never owning a breed tricky to insure. I've taken a hit with Breagh due to her bloat issues but even set against all the others who have been problem free it's probably worked out in my favour from a financial point of view over the premiums I would have paid.

Would I consider a breed that I 'couldn't' insure.......of course. As with any other dog that I chose not to insure I'd just factor the potential costs and risk against the insurance savings.

Liability cover is obviously a different thing though but again something that so far wouldn't have been needed.

It's calculated risk at the end of the day.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2012
  20. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Schutzhund/Working Trials dogs are not PP trained. ;)
  21. Fivedogpam

Fivedogpam New Member

Name:
    Pam
    I wouldn't get one of the above simply because they are not the sort of breeds that appeal to me. I always automatically insure my pups as soon as I get them so, no, on that score as well.