Yellow ribbon Showing

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by 6JRT's, Jul 11, 2014.

1. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.

Yellow ribbon

Went to an Terrier dog show today, to cheer on couple of Parson Russell Terriers/JRT's & 4 Fox Terrier. None KC certification dogshow.
    Everything was going smoothly for first 5 rounds, then on the 6th round there was an awful racket coming from 2 dogs they were snarling growling barking, then a high pitch squealing came from a young female Fox Terrier puppy, at first I thought the dog had been badly attacked by the other dog, then the owner was yelling, I heard in between all the "F"words can't you see Astria is wearing a yellow ribbon.

Who in their right mind brings a dog that's Vicious/nervous with other dogs to a dog show wearing nothing but a yellow ribbon, specially as there are harnesses, collars & leads with clear writing on them saying Nervous - No Dogs - Cautious - Deaf Dog - Blind Dog - Friendly.

I didn't see the yellow ribbon until I was taking the young female Fox Terrier off her owner, then I spotted it right up near the top of the lead, an little yellow ribbon tied just below the handle of the lead.

I managed to unleash the dog & took her away from the ring to quiet area to calm her down, turns out Astria was 6 months old & has never been allowed to socialize with other dogs, it was Astria that started the fight between the 2 dogs.

If you have a nervous dog or a dog that don't get along with other dogs, then you either join a puppy socializing class or a dog training group, but what you don't do is enter into a dog show tying a little yellow ribbon to the handle of your lead.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    6JRT's likes this.
    People never fail to amaze me! I know I'd think twice before taking Georgina anywhere where there were lots of unknown dogs. Since her eyesight has improved she no longer panics but she can become anxious. As a responsible owner I have to regard her as unpredictable and as such I wouldn't expose her to a situation that I felt she couldn't cope with. Maybe I worry too much because she mixes with other dogs at training with no problem at all and ignores my neighbour's dog when he comes into our garden. But I'd rather be safe than sorry!
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I have to be careful when out & about with Dottie, as she can turn just like that, I have a harness, collar & lead with NO DOGS clearly written on them, which she wears when on park along with a muzzle (never off lead unless in the tennis courts) other owners see her & call their dogs back & put them back on their leads until we have passed them, its a lot better being over cautious then not being cautious at all.
  5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    6JRT's likes this.
    I liked those harnesses and collars you posted that have words printed on them - much more visible.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's likes this.
    One Beagle at the Welfare day had a yellow collar and lead, and a yellow vest which said something like, 'I am nervous Please give me space'. It was easily visible, and I think the request was respected. Many rescue dogs have difficulty adjusting to their new circumstances, and I thought this was an excellent way of avoiding conflict - much better than a yellow ribbon, a sign which the majority of people don't understand.
  7. pugluva

pugluva Member

Name:
    carol
    6JRT's likes this.
    I've never heard of this before it sounds a great idea.
  8. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    [QUOTE"pugluva, post: 182994, member: 38176"]I've never heard of this before it sounds a great idea.[/QUOTE]
    Here is few photos of the vest harness - Y harness - collars - leads & Do not feed harness/lead
    SmallHarness103-50smallerCopy6-Copy-Copy_zps7062b42d.jpeg $_3-9.jpeg

$_3-6.jpeg
    $_3-7.jpeg $_3-2.jpeg
    I have the NO DOGS vest harness for Dottie & WORKING Y harness for K9 & vest harness for Ziva, as sometimes its to hot for them to wear their System alert coats.
    These harness - collars - leads are becoming more & more popular specially with Staffies / Mastiff owners their dogs are wearing the FRIENDLY harnesses - collars, other dog owners would run in opposite direction if they saw a Staffy or Mastiff, but are now allowing their dogs to play with the friendly Staffies & Mastiffs.
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    [QUOTE="6JRT's, post: I heard in between all the "F"words can't you see Astria is wearing a yellow ribbon..[/QUOTE]
    The majority of general public and dog owners have never heard or know the meaning of yellow ribbon and why should they, By using a yellow ribbon or something similar/jacket you are indicating that the dog needs space, for whatever reason,
    Therefore in effect putting the responsibility on “someone else” to figure out if your dog has a problem! As dog owner’s it’s our responsibility to have control of our dogs, not other peoples.,
    as such we are Responsible for what situations we put our dogs into.
    One really has to be really close to see ribbon, read writing on jackets ect: Dogs cant read and its not going to stop them approaching one wearing a yellow ribbon/jacket, or children rushing up .
    With the law as it stands I wonder what the legalities would be if a dog wearing yellow ribbon/jacket should bite someone ,as your admitting your dog has problems
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes, pretty sure that is the same company.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oops Vee, they are quite visible, but the legal aspect is a point I hadn't considered. Is anyone going to a Trevor Cooper Dog Law talk in the near future? If so, could they ask about this and report back.
    I am careful not to have 'Caution, Loose Dogs. No Cold Callers' on the gate, rather than 'Beware of the Dog' for this very reason.
  12. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    226785220944.png Here are a few other warning ideas, you can choose any colour & any message.
    I love the medical one saying the dog is diabetic, they also do dog is epileptic ones too.
    785602848564.png
    217216580939.png
    554930_558143920877019_1003397203_n.jpeg
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    One of Pereg's three collar tags is "I Have Epilepsy, with all her and my details on the back. Both of the other two also are marked that she is epileptic and needs medication urgently.

[​IMG]
  14. pugluva

pugluva Member

Name:
    carol
    6JRT's likes this.
    What brilliant idea I've never seen this before and we walk in a lot of different places.
  15. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Yes if you see a dog wearing one of the above harnesses, you will know straight away whether it's friendly or needs space from your dog, as they have clear visible writing on them, unlike the yellow ribbon you will not see it until you are next to the dog.
  16. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    [QUOTE="CaroleC, post: Is anyone going to a Trevor Cooper Dog Law talk in the near future? If so, could they ask about this and report back.
    I am careful not to have 'Caution, Loose Dogs. No Cold Callers' on the gate, rather than 'Beware of the Dog' for this very reason.[/QUOTE]

I did read on another forum that Trevor Cooper has specifically advised attendees on his dog law courses NOT to promote yellow ribbons, as it is similar to putting a "Beware of the Dog" sign on your door/gate.
    Hopefully someone will clarify
  17. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    My signed on door says "Beware of the vicious owner" :)
  18. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    6JRT's likes this.
    6JRT's ... Those harnesses are super, but not much use to me as the writing is in English which very few people over here understand!
  19. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Not sure if they have any other language or if they are just in English.
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Same here Barbara!