feeding Weimanare Questions

Discussion in 'Weimaraner' started by Thor the Weimaraner, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Thor the Weimaraner

Thor the Weimaraner New Member

Name:
    Ed

feeding Weimanare

I have a 4 month old Weimanare and had a question about feeding. I have heard that they should only be fed twice a day. I also understand that puppies need to be fed more often. I am currently feeding Thor three times a day. I am following the sizing portions plus about 1 cup more then on the chart, from the Diamond Natural large dog puppy food package (32 lbs pup eating 6 cups of food daily plus treats during training). He is eating all of his food and does not seem to be getting fat. I do not want a fat Weimanare or one that has digestive issues. He does spend a lot of time indoors but since I live in the country he gets to go on a long walks (more than a mile) or play Frisbee for exercise once a day when the weather is good. I play indoor fetch and tug of war when weather is bad outside.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I normally feed puppies 3 small meals a day [spilt the amount into 3 equal amounts] but if I notice they are turning up their noses on the 3rd meal I would cut their meals down to only 2 [this depends on the dog as some dogs will eat anything in sight] my 10 dogs [6 JRT's 2 GSD's 1 Springer & 1 Cocker Spaniel] don't have set meal times as their dry food is down all day because they will just eat it if or when they are hungry.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome to the forum Ed. Three meals a day is fine. If you think that Thor is looking too slim, just slightly increase the amount you give for each meal. On the lead walking exercise is usually recommended as being 5 minutes for each month of the puppy's life, once or twice a day, but playtime and running free would not count towards this. I would be careful with the Frisbee though - not too much jumping and twisting until he has stopped growing.