Car problems Discussions

Discussion in 'Collie (Rough)' started by Puzzle2000, May 24, 2017.

1. Puzzle2000

Puzzle2000 New Member

Name:
    Sharon

Car problems

Hiya, I have a 6 month rough collie, she is in fact my 4th collie, so I'm not new to the breed. However she is the first one who is terrified of the car. As soon as we go to get into the car she backs off and Its a tussel between us to get her in. As soon as she is in the car she starts, even before I turn on the engine, drooling so bad that the towel and blanket and all down her front and her legs is soaking wet. I've tried tablets to calm her, no good, travel sickness tabs, no good, taking her on short journeys, sitting with her in car while not moving. In the front seat, rear seat in the back with another dog for company. So I'm now tearing my hair out, vet says she'll grow out of it ummm? So has anyone else had this problem and can you tell me if she will grow out of it ha or any advice to combat is. I don't want to leave her at home, I want her with me, And if I do show her or do agility with her she needs to travel. Help please.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Eddie, my older Beagle, had a chaotic start in life. Puppy farmed, a sea and van journey to a dealer, then his first home, and a spell in rescue, - all by 4.5 months. He would drool so much that he was soaked even on the shortest journey. I was showing my other dog in obedience, so leaving him home alone was not an option.
    We were eventually advised, by a show person, to use a tablet called Stugeron 15, and to use it as a training aid, giving it well in advance of regular short journeys which always ended with a fun event. At first Ed travelled in a covered crate, and on towels which could keep him comfortable by soaking up any drool. If we were travelling to a show, and had an early start, I gave him half a tablet the night before, and a further half tablet an hour before we set out, (he is a Beagle and was probably about 10k by this time). There is no recommended dose as Stugeron is not licensed for dogs.
    Admittedly he had a seasoned traveller in the car with him, (which could have given him more confidence), but though I think I did buy a second pack, (of 15), I certainly never finished it. Stugeron are supposed to be non drowsy. If you decide to try, do remember not to tell the pharmacy that they are for a dog, or they will not sell them to you.
  4. Puzzle2000

Puzzle2000 New Member

Name:
    Sharon
    Hi Carole
    Thanks for the reply, I have in fact used stugeron 15 but it didn't seem to work. Unfortunately I have to travel 30mins 3 times a week then back at night and I live in North Wales near Snowdon and the roads are quite winding, its a long journey for her. My other dog is an ex show dog and I have her in the car with us as I thought it would help Bonnie get some confidence. But alas poor Maddison gets covered in drool lol. I did try her in a crate and covered it for a few days, but thought it wasn't working. However I think I will put her back in it again and cover it, Also go back to the stugeron and give her tablets at night as you suggest and then in morning. She was 12,85 kg when last weighed a couple of weeks ago so not sure if one tablet will be enough. But I guess its just a matter of waiting to see how see goes over time,
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    If Stugeron doesn't work, have you tried Kwells, which are a different type of drug. The downside is that they can cause drowsiness - so not advisable if you are showing. Could you try letting her sit in different areas of the car - or next to a passenger? I was a car sick child, and know that I felt better in the front. Maybe not ideal for a dog, (even with a seat belt, there is an air bag risk), but I think I would try anything to get her started enjoying outings. Do you find using the radio is any help? Keep trying, I am sure you will crack it eventually.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    True anxiety is a beggar to resolve. Have you asked your vet about any suitable meds that will help the training to kick in?

Word of advice, if you are going to cover the crate, in this weather make sure it is a very lightweight cover and ensure plenty of ventilation in the car