Weird and wonderful foods Food

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by katygeorge, Feb 24, 2014.

1. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy

Weird and wonderful foods

Posts split into this thread, let's talk about weird and wonderful foods!

---------

WARNING TOTALLY OFF TOPIC, LOL

i dont recognise those. but as im the most fussy eater ever ive not sampled much. My grandad was polish so she cooked mostly polish i think. I love barszcz czerwonyve (beetroot soup) and have made it myself a few times, had pierogi (little filled dumplins/pasties) and enjoyed, makowiec (poppyseed cake) is amazing, bigos (stew) was ok but not impressed with the cabbage, rosół z kurczaka (chicken noodle soup) is really nice, szarlotka (apple cake) is one i make a lot i prefer it to apple pie.

But i have also been served some stuff that is to so disgusting. Flaki wołowe (tripe soup) bought that home for phoebe she was very happy. Ozór wołowy (tongue) ewwwww, Ive also seen jellied pigs feet in her fridge she makes them special for my dad, thats the last thing you want to see in your fridge the morning after the night before
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Just looked up kvass - no never had that but have been given some homemade hooch thats about 90% and you add a drop of raspberry syrup to it. only managed one shot then slept alot. And a definate no to the kefir
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    //Sorry still off-topic//

Omg that sounds :078:

(I reckon we should start a thread about weird and wonderful foods lol)
  5. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    I have tried some really weird stuff over the years. with a thai step mum, polish grandad and russian nan.
  6. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    My thai step mum eats chicken feet!! she sits crunching away like their crisp. i havnt tried, i never will
  7. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    once in a restaurant when she first came over we had a whole fish and she stabbed the eye with her fork and shouted mine!! like we were even planning on beating her to it
  8. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Has she got good bones and fat composition? Feet are meant to be excellent sources of glucosamine, chondroitin, collagen and trace minerals! I'm supposed to be adding them to my stock, but I'm not that brave yet :lol:

LMAO :043:
  9. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Azz likes this.
    shes looks a lot younger than her age, very slim and toned yet never works out. i wouldnt mind touching them or boiling them in a stock then removing them. but i wouldnt eat them. its horrid there just sat on kitchen work top in a big jar i have to look at them every time i make a brew when at work (my office is at dads)
  10. Bonni

Bonni Member

Name:
    Bonni
    Marmite? :078:
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    [​IMG] Nothing wrong with chicken feet - they are great for chicken soup and used to be given away by most of the poulterers in the shuk, but since the chicken slaughter house had to be moved outside of town the feet are no longer available. Pity, as they were not only good for soup but I wanted to get some for snacks for Da Booga.
  12. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Bonni likes this.
    agree with you there. its all kinds of disgusting
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Right - you are both hereby refused entry to the Marmite and Sprouts Appreciation Society.
  14. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    good, hehehe

if you set up a chocolate and cheese appreciation society i will happily join as they my favs
  15. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I keep a stock of chicken feet in my freezer for my girls mid morning snack, also tripe and pig's tongues for their dinner.

Hungarian food is very similar to Polish and Russian. Lots of recipes with sauerkraut which is called "kaposta". My favourite is a pickled kaposta salad which you can buy in tubs from the supermarket .... lovely with cold ham!. In autumn you can buy large plastic sacks of fresh shredded cabbage from the farm shops to make your own sauerkraut at home, not that I've ever done it as I live on my own.

The locals in my village make their own "palinka" from plums .... the Hungarian equivalent of vodka. Boy is it lethal! Every October my neighbours slaughter a pig in their front yard and spend the weekend cutting it up for smoking and making ""kolbasz" (sausages) of various kinds. I like the Debreceni kolbasz which are very spicey and the "maj hurka", which is made out of liver. Mind you a few weeks ago I did have a craving for a good old British banger and blood pudding and in a mad moment had some delivered by courier from a British food shop in Budapest ..... darned expensive ..... but I deserve it!
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    You may keep all your other wotsits if only I could get hold of fresh chicken feet again...