Maia (Utonagan) may have CDRM Health

Discussion in 'Utonagan' started by littlelab, May 22, 2009.

1. littlelab

littlelab New Member

Name:
    Natalie

Maia (Utonagan) may have CDRM

Maia has always had bad Hips, HD is one of the things that Utes unfortunately suffer from, so we have always supplemented her diet with Glucosamine, Cod Liver Oil etc.

The last 6 months she has got worse, her back legs give way when she is tired, she is soiling the house overnight most nights and seems to be in a lot of discomfort.

The problem we have had in the past is her fear of vets and the stress she suffers is unbearable, so we have always only taken her when things have got bad, and then the vets do a cursory exam as they are so damn frightened of her.

Anyway, today, the vet who has been seeing Tara saw Maia, and he was brilliant, he managed to do a good exam of her hind quarters and confirmed through manipulation and tests (paws being turned over on tip toe) that there are problems going on with the nerves in her back end and probably spine.

HE recommended referral for extensive and invasive tests which would confirm if its CDRM, however we have decided that to put her through that much pain and stress would not be fair, and that if it is CDRM which is likely, there is no cure anyway.

So we are going to manage her degenerative condition through pain relief and anti inflammatories, and when it gets all too much for her we will make the ultimate decision.

I just needed to get that off my chest, my poor old girl at 8years old though she has done well, and she still enjoys charging around with Tara Banana and Jack.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd
    Awwww how sad, Maia's condition is very concerning, and I am sure you will be making Maia comfortable and as pain free as you can poor thing.

Mo,
  4. skilaki

skilaki

Name:
    -
    I'm really sorry to hear this - hopefully with pain and inflammation management you and your girl will have many more happy times together. I hope you can keep her comfortable for a while yet. Give her a cuddle for me.
  5. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    So sorry to read that, they are such a worry...Give Maia a cuddle from us please x
  6. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Natalie:-( :-( I am so sorry to hear this, have you rung Lyn B to tell her I know she is very concerned about all her babies, did the homeopathic vet she put you on to last time you spoke to her give you anything to help. Poor girl, give her a hug from myself and her nieces:-( :-( :-(
  7. littlelab

littlelab New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    Hi TW

I was trying to find Lynn's no, can you Pm me it pls?

Sam our homeopath has been brillant over the years, she actually suggested we go due to the acute pain Maia was now in.

I have to update her today.
  8. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Just spoken to her now and she is very upset and I have pm'd you her number
  9. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Sorry to hear about Maia :-(
    Now i dont know much about breeding or the breeder so excuse my ignorance but if the dog came from health tested low hip scoring parents then is it the case that there is the possiblity that some pups just have HD / CRDM anyway even if the parents are fine?
  10. littlelab

littlelab New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    I have just spoken with Lyn and updated her, we are camping at the mo enjoying the weather
  11. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Glad you have spoken to her, she wasn't really expecting hear from you till tomorrow. Hope Maia is well in herself.
    Hope the weather is better where you are, it is tippling down up here!!!
  12. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Hi, does anyone know the answer to my question?
  13. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    Sorry to hear this :-( Hopefully you can get her comfortable, gentle (((hugs)))
  14. Sansorrella

Sansorrella

Name:
    Sandra
    There are many contributing factors to HD and it is wrong to assume that every case is genetic.

With CRDM the cause is not known. However, it does mainly affect GSDs. It does not normally cause incontinence though.

I am sorry to hear about Maia and hope she can be kept as comfortable as possible.
  15. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Thanks Sandra :001:
  16. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd
    I have known a few GSD's that had CRDM and they were incontinent?

Mo
  17. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Maia.
    x

I've read that vitamins E and B might be used and also Epsilon Amino Caproic Acid.
  18. alady??

alady?? New Member

Name:
    Lanie
    So Sorry to hear about Maia. Would you mind letting me know who her parents are.

Give her a big hug from me
  19. Sansorrella

Sansorrella

Name:
    Sandra
    Its very rare to be - but there are always exceptions.

I was going by what I have read up about it as one of my bitches has a similar problem, but there are differences which point my bitch in the direction of Cushings syndrome.
  20. littlelab

littlelab New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    Maia has had a lovely time this weekend, caravanning and bimbling on the beach are 2 of her favourite past times.

Maia was a rehomed Ute, via Ute rescue and we have had her 4/5 years. We knew she had HD when we rehomed her and have successfully treated the symptoms with Homeopathy and supplements.

Thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread to show their concern and to convey their kind wishes, its lovely to know you are not alone x
  21. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Sorry to hear this hon.... xx