Utonagan issues - society and the association? Questions

Discussion in 'Utonagan' started by banshee, Aug 3, 2009.

1. banshee

banshee New Member

Name:
    Terri

Utonagan issues - society and the association?

Ok I am new here and dont want to start a war or anything, I am so confused, I did a classic novicey thing and brought a utonagan puppy recently without check things out as well as I should of given the no of years of owning dogs I should have so please dont chew my head off here as it appears that utonagan/NI discussions seem to set folks off a bit

I am terribly confused about the society and the association, and about breed standerds and who is who in the world of ute,s my puppy isnt registered with either, no pedigree have been told she is from the sulin lines, as I dont intend to breed etc I am happy with that, she is a sweetheart and I love her to bits, however I suspect that in the future, I will be getting a second Ute and would like to get it right, and would like to actaully, my puppy is beautiful and healthy etc, but think that next time would like to get a puppy from a breeder that is working towards breed improvement etc, but as a newbie to the breed I am so confused about who's who and whats what!! So any FRIENDLY enlightenment woudl be greatly appreciated.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. alady??

alady?? New Member

Name:
    Lanie
    Hi Banshee, the British Utonagan Association and the Utonagan Society are just 2 different Breed Clubs, both work independantly of each other, both Health test and share the info, and hold registrations of the dogs produced.

Neither will register a dog unless it has a proven pedigree, so depending on the info you have and who your breeder is will depend on your qualification to either registry.

[mod edit/directing members to another forum]
    As you stated you really should have checked the background of your pup ESPECIALLY in a new unrecognised breed. But all at BUA are freindly and helpful so come and meet up and we can help you out. :grin:

Lanie
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2009
  4. banshee

banshee New Member

Name:
    Terri
    Hi Laine thanks for the reply will google in a mo, I dont mind if she doesnt qualify to be registered, I just did the classic fell in love with a puppy brought her and then worked backwards, i realise that its not the best way forward for the breed and having kept gsds and great danes for a long time should have known better. would never in a million years buy one of those without knowing its breeding, etc etc I swear I get dafter as I get older not wiser.

Still deed is now done, and I wouldnt change her for all the tea in china, I really like the people i got her from they seemed nice folks.

Now all I want to is learn more about the breed because even in the short time I have had her, I have fallen in love with her she is as bright as a button, sharp as a knife but as loving and as sweet natured as you could ask for in a pup!
  5. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Hi :grin:

I'm so glad you are happy with your puppy. Who did you get your puppy from? Was it a breeder?

In my experience, the history of this breed is full of secrecy and politics. The different breed clubs have had different opinions on how things should be done - which dogs should and should not be bred from or used together with regard to inherited health issues, bringing in other breeds, etc. If some are now sharing health and pedigree information that is great because then some of the uncertainties might be put right although you should bear in mind that people have moved on over time and because of this, there is inevitably past information that will never be discovered.

Best advice is talk to as many people as you can but be cautious. Any decent breeder should be doing health tests on breeding dogs and puppies and nobody should breed from dogs with inherited conditions in their lines because it is not possible to know which are carriers.

Good luck.:mrgreen:
  6. banshee

banshee New Member

Name:
    Terri
    The lady I got my dog from didnt give me any pedigrees, all she said was they were from the sulin line, I know that I cant register Esk, but I would probably like to get another in the future so I would like to find out about the breed as much as possible, but was confused about what society was aiming for what results, and why there were two and there seems so many politics involved. I think its important to support the breeders that are making health and welfare a priority, when I brought Esk I didnt even know there was a society let alone two. and when I did start reading I was so confused and found there was so much animosity on things I didnt know what to think.

The place I got her from, the people seemed lovely, the dogs were clearly well looked after, the kennel was clean, I really like the lady I got her from and I loved Esk parents they were both lovely dogs really sweet natured and friendly, because I never intend to breed from her, I didnt think about no papers at the time, and didnt even think about hipscores etc. my ignorance showing here. Because I didnt realise that there was a database or a society/association that was trying to regulate and standerdise the breed.

The breeder was called jilly reynolds, and they seemed like lovely people, so I dont want to cause any trouble for them at all, and hope that posting this doesnt, I have no arguement with them, I more than happy with the puppy I have, as I say just trying to find out much more about the breed in general, I have been reading loads of stuff on the BUA site most of the afternoon and its been totally fascinating.
  7. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    my advise(from someone with an ni not a ute )for whats its worth and meant in a nice way............ just enjoy her! she is part of your family now:grin: :grin:
  8. banshee

banshee New Member

Name:
    Terri
    oh absolutely agree, like I say she isn't really the reason I was asking, its cos I wanna enjoy more of them:lol: I am seriously considering another one in the future (that might change between now then depending on how much of a handful she turns out to be:) )

its purely curiosity and wanting to know more about the breed than anything else.
  9. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    oh dear your 'bitten',thats where it all starts 1-then 2 then ......oh no a PACK lol.;-)
  10. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    :lol: :lol: :lol: one is never enough:lol: :lol: :lol:
    Some of my new puppy owners are already planning their next one, always supposing they survive the first few weeks of their first:lol: :lol: :lol: they are very addictive!! They love to be with other dogs and do much better when they are in a multi dog household.
  11. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Actually I think I just realised who your puppy is and who her parents are by the name you have given. There is a very good reason why you weren't given a pedigree, if you care to email me at donehogawa.utonagans@yahoo.co.uk I will be able to help you
  12. alady??

alady?? New Member

Name:
    Lanie
    Yep Miki and Osman, Mikes not got the pedigrees off Lyn has he :grin:
  13. banshee

banshee New Member

Name:
    Terri
    lol I can easily see how you end up with a whole pack of them!
  14. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    He has got the parent's pedigrees, but the pups are sold without pedigrees to prevent people breeding from them
  15. alady??

alady?? New Member

Name:
    Lanie
    Oh I see, I would have thought most folks would like to know the history of there dogs wether they wanted to breed or not and all Utes are sold non breeding?

Anyway Terri you will find that a lot of Utes are related to your wee one, my Raven is and Karens lot too, so you better hide your undies because its a hereditory gene "knicker pinching" in these lines :grin: :grin:
  16. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    hi tawney,bet those pups of yours are full of norty!!!;-)
    how does that prevent them from breeding them? (i know im far to nosy,sorry;-) )
  17. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Well without a signed pedigree from the breeder, I would have thought it would have been difficult to register any progeny as a quick phone call would establish that they were sold as pet only and not to be bred from. Although I think most of us would be aware of the parentage.
    As you say they will have the 'undie' gene. Your pup's mother is my girls' litter sister Banshee:grin:
  18. banshee

banshee New Member

Name:
    Terri
    mmm she seems to have a sock and undie fetish! I am forever taking them off her, I worry that she might end up blocked up, haha well at least I know where that comes from:mrgreen:
  19. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    yep she has the undie gene:shock: :shock:
  20. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
  21. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name: