Standard Poodle Coats - Why are they clipped? Grooming

Discussion in 'Poodle (Standard)' started by Wyrd, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha

Standard Poodle Coats - Why are they clipped?

I looked through at an old thread posted on the forum and saw a poodle that had a long coat as was not clipped.

I don't know a lot about standard poodles but noticed that a lot of poodles are clipped, is there a reason why the coats cannot be left long and are clipped?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    If a poodle(of any size)isn't groomed & clipped it's coat will form mats &"dreadlocks"called cords like other breeds-the Hungarian Puli for example. These coats are very difficult for keep clean & groomed. For example a fully corded Puli takes hours to bath & dry & of course you cannot simple leave the coat to grown, you have to train it into cords & also keep the ends trimmed when the reach the floor.

Most show dogs are only kept in the show trims whilst they are being shown & when retired are put into a puppy or a pet trim. My favourite is called Town & Country
  4. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    But if the coat was groomed regularly could they be left with a full coat?
  5. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    That's the great thing about poodles, you can have them in any trim you like. There is no reason whatsoever to have to have a poodle clipped in a traditional poodle trim and as long as the dog is properly groomed and it's coat maintained you can keep it in whatever style you wish. However, poodle coats do not stop growing so it would be advisable to have them trimmed and tidied up occasionally so it isn't too long.
    Here is one of my minis Terra in a non standard trim.

[​IMG]

Some poodle coats can be corded but this takes a lot of time to do it correctly but they are stunning in cords and they used to be separated out into corded and curly coats for showing in the early part of the 1900's.
    Becky
  6. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    What a cutie:grin:

Thank you for the info. :)
  7. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Thank you. I actually clipped her off into a poodle trim but don't like it so she's growing her 'beard' back now!
    Becky