I have fallen in love with a breed and I want one General Chat

Discussion in 'Komondor' started by jackiew, Feb 18, 2010.

1. jackiew

jackiew New Member

Name:
    jackie

I have fallen in love with a breed and I want one

i have fallen in love with the komondor breed
    does anyone own one or know of anyone that owns one??

i would love to get one to show :grin: :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    are they the big ones that look like giant mops? :grin:
  4. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Try contacting UK club, you should get details on KC website or even google it. Not fussed on corded coats myself tho heard theyre ok to maintain.!

Helen
  5. jackiew

jackiew New Member

Name:
    jackie
    Yes lol, i have been looking at them for a while and then saw something on AOL about one today and it has raised my interest again :grin:

Thank you Helen will do :grin: :grin:
  6. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    they are huge lol :grin: we saw them and were talking to some owners at discover dogs at crufts last year, and the woman said after a bath it can take them a week to dry :grin: :grin:
  7. jackiew

jackiew New Member

Name:
    jackie

wow a week :shock: :shock:
    yes i know they are huge, but we are used to big dogs what with having a rottie and i used to own a briard many years ago

just got to convince hubby it is a great idea to get one :lol: :lol:
  8. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    yeah its because their coats absorb all the water lol :grin: yeh start convincing, i would love to see pictures on here :grin:
  9. bellaluna

bellaluna New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    We have the smaller size of them, the Puli, running around here. Its a whitish colour, looks very dirty, I donno if it IS dirty or the coat's supposed to look like that. The owner is not a person, I'd like to talk to, so wont ask.
  10. Bagwoman

Bagwoman New Member

Name:
    Diana
    Komondors are a very large pastoral breed and need very special owners. You have to do a lot of reading up before contemplating getting one. Do not confuse them with Briards or Rotties completely different temperament.
  11. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    They stink, BIG time!
  12. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    That was my first thought too Dawn :blush: :lol:
  13. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    we where in pets at home last night and a puli was in getting a bath and i must say it stunk real bad ...a stand out of the crowd dog thou.
  14. Westie_N

Westie_N New Member

Name:
    Nicola
    I was just about to say the same until I seen this. :shock:

I remember standing in a queue at Discover Dogs a couple of years ago waiting for something and I could smell this disgusting dog smell. Really, really strong it was. Couldn't work out exactly where is was coming from but it was very strong and off-putting. Then I realised it was a Komondor under a table! It stank to the heavens! :shock:
  15. LoweherzLeos

LoweherzLeos New Member

Name:
    Tanya
    i dont know how true it is, but ive heard they can be really nasty and incredibly possessive and guarding towards everything. cannot comment first hand as ive never met one :?
  16. Westie_N

Westie_N New Member

Name:
    Nicola
    I don't know much about them either, but the one I met didn't bat an eyelid at anything, it just lay there......actually, maybe it was some sort of corded rug and not a dog afterall. :lol:
  17. LoweherzLeos

LoweherzLeos New Member

Name:
    Tanya
    tee hee lol.... im sure someone will correct me. maybe the person that was talking to me about them just doesnt like them.
  18. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Flokati? Is that a breed? :D
  19. Westie_N

Westie_N New Member

Name:
    Nicola
    Had to Google that, sshhh.....:blush:

Yes, it's a breed of, erm, carpet. :lol:
  20. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Can't wait to meet them at DD at Crufts! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    well as it is DFS Crufts now, I guess they will have a few other living-room accoutrements as well ...?
  21. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
    Just had a quick scout and found this

"The Komondor is certainly not a dog to buy on a whim; coming from Hungary, like the Puli, he guarded the herds and flocks on the farms from the usual range of predators and rustlers. As a result he is highly territorial and would be impossible in town; even in a country setting he needs to have a defined area which is his to control.

The Komondor has been known in Hungary for a thousand years and is descended from the Owtcharka dogs of Asia who were brought into Europe by the Magyars.
    He is a massive dog averaging 31½" for the males and weighing 61kg with an extremely challenging coat. As the dog matures the coat develops into cords which have to be cared for to prevent them matting together; the heavily coated dogs of the show ring have the cords kept tied up to protect them when they are not being exhibited. Felt-like in texture, a wet Komondor must be a nightmare.
    The Komondor is extremely loyal and is devoted to his owners, but a great deal of consideration should be given to the pitfalls before acquiring such a dog."

Just realised that this seems a very negative post. I'm not looking to put you off at all. Just so you can make an informed decision. Hope it helps
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2010