Is my boy a Springer or a Field Spaniel?

Discussion in 'Field Spaniel' started by firefox, Feb 21, 2010.

1. wallaroo

wallaroo New Member

Name:
    Gill
    Still similar but i can tell the difference now!

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Josilou

Josilou New Member

Name:
    Josilou
    He's lovely.

I quite like the names like sprocker - I think it's nicer than saying crossbreed or mongrel, especially if both parents are known as then the name only refers to two breeds. I don't mind the 'doodle' names either.
  4. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    Posting and dashing as I have lots of work on, but he doesn't look like a field spaniel to me, not that I'm an expert, have seen a few, and by comparison I'd have to agree either a working cocker or springer, or a mix of the two.

Sprockers have been bred for many years, they do make good little working dogs, but unfortunately, the name has been used by those who breed fashionable cross breeds as a marketing ploy. Labradors and springers are also a fairly common cross for working folk.

Can't remember the date, but springers and cockers used to be decided by weight at a certain age, so you could have both in a litter. True officionados of either breed, won't touch certain lines that they believe have one or the other in that they don't want in their breeding. It also means that you get a bit of confusion occasionally about colours, I've seen almost solid springers, although that's more unusual than seeing liver or black and white cockers, that don't 'roan' up as they grow.

I've got a little liver cocker pup at the moment my OH is running on for someone, I'll try and post a pic of him a bit later.
  5. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    Here's the little cocker pup I'm looking after for the OH to run on, you can see he's got different features, so I'm guessing your boy's either a sprocker, or a full springer with unusual full body colour? If the OH has time later I'll ask his opinion, he's much more likely to be able to tell from a photo than me.

[​IMG]
  6. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I know I'm a bit late in this but I thought he was a springer x lab, like mine, just has the springer ears
  7. Rolosmum

Rolosmum New Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Well he is gorgeous whatever he is! We have a liver and white english springer spaniel pup and so has a friend of ours (theirs is 9 days younger) and black and white, but they have very different shaped faces and yet both are pedigree.

I wonder if you will know more by his full grown size!
  8. Spacecat

Spacecat New Member

Name:
    Spacecat
    He's definately a spocker I'd say! Seen sprockers that look exactly the same ~ all gorgeous!
  9. lwatson

lwatson New Member

Name:
    Lynn
    I would definately say not a springer as he is a block colour but as for cocker, field or cross, I think only time will tell but I would go more towards field spaniel.

Either way you have a wonderful pup there, so gorgeous, I love the complete liver colour.
  10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    I saw a 15-wk old Field Spaniel puppy only 2 weeks ago, out on a walk, a genuine FS..... and it was different from the OP's dog. Even at that young age the ears were definitely longer and lower-set.

I did make the mistake of thinking it was a WC myself - only to be corrected - but hey, you don't expect to run into a pure-bred FS, do you! They are such a rare and endangered breed nowadays... the owner of the pup was telling me that her pup came from a litter of only 2 (most were stillborn) and like wise his mother also came from a pitifully small litter.
  11. wallaroo

wallaroo New Member

Name:
    Gill
    we were always being asked if Toby was a field spaniel (or labrador!) when he was a pup. Woman who walks in the park has several and now he's full grown you can see the difference
  12. lwatson

lwatson New Member

Name:
    Lynn
    True, I made the mistake with a working cocker once.
  13. magix

magix New Member

Name:
    lyn
    being the owner of 2 working cockers i would put my money on your dog being a working cocker spaniel....he looks very much like my eldest dogs brother who is a solid liver.....lovely little dog but they are high energy fun bundles
  14. melleyb

melleyb New Member

Name:
    melanie
    haha this thread is hilarious.... i have a patterdale mix lurchur, possibly with some field dog in there, predominatly patterdale tho - huh maybe thats what a patterdale is, personally i think she is a prime example of a large patterdale :) any how im now new to this forum and i was looking for information on spaniels and slipped upon this thread :) so hi ev1
  15. melleyb

melleyb New Member

Name:
    melanie
    cocker or sprocker ? .... how energetic are these dogs in the house ? all my patterdale mix does is sleep all day but then when shes out walking comes alive.... shes as quite as a mouse otherwise only barks at night really - whats the spaniels vocals like ? any advice app thanks :)
  16. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    what is the difference between a springer, cocker and field spaniel? Whats the difference in their purpose/jobs?
  17. lwatson

lwatson New Member

Name:
    Lynn
    No real difference in their purpose or job as their purpose to some is a companion and some a work buddy. The only real difference is the size in them.

Some say one breed is nuttier than the other etc but I can't agree as I have owned 3 ESS and they have all been completely different characters and had different energy levels.
  18. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    why so many types then?
  19. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Springers and Cockers were originally the same breed, the larger dogs were called Springers and used to Spring all types of game, the smaller ones were called Cockers and used mainly for Woodcock (hence the name). Not sure about Field Spaniels though. :D
  20. Love spaniels

Love spaniels New Member

Name:
    Heather
    Working cocker, but a bit leggy, maybe some working Springer.