OMG I have seen it all now a 'Piebald German Shepherd' General Chat

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by liverbird, May 3, 2010.

1. liverbird

liverbird New Member

Name:
    KAREN

OMG I have seen it all now a 'Piebald German Shepherd'

saw this on another forum
    not a 'Panda Shepherd'
    but a 'Piebald German Shepherd' :shock:
    I have put this in the crossbreed section :roll:

Whatever next :?:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2010
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

hmmm
    The first ones I dont see GSD in at all!! - interesting to see how they grow up. I would guess a border collie got in with the mum :D
    I just hope they dont start breeding for them, or offering silly prices!
    I do find colour genetics interesting
  4. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    I can't see GSD in them at all :blush:.. All i was drawn to was there backs :(
    The pups are cute, but then all pups are.
    I find genetics very intresting to :)
  5. Heather and Zak

Heather and Zak New Member

Name:
    heather
    Their heads just don't look like GSD's to me. I would say there is something else mixed in there.
  6. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Oh yuck, I have looked at the rest of her website
    She is a puppy farm for coloured GSD's Her goal is to have pedigrees of 3 generations of each colour with no other colour in the pedigree
    So only breeding for colour
    and by the looks of things she rehomes the dogs by about 4 years of age
    YUCK
  7. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    I'm thinking a stock dog of some kind tied with the mum when no one was looking. Those are not GSD's....
  8. rune

rune

She says they will do dna testing?

They look like collies to me----but who knows?

rune
  9. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Funny that I thought they looked like collie pups too.
  10. Fudgeley

Fudgeley New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    They are identical to Fudge when she was a pup. recessive white colouring with a sable merle coming through!
  11. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    when u are breding for colour, who knows what will crop up i you go too far? Also if breedingfor colour then they arent likely to look to "breed type"
  12. AllyLambell

AllyLambell

Name:
    closed acct by Ally
    I can't see the GSD either, they just look like Collies to me!
  13. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    No i dont see much collie really, only in colour, the redder pupdosent look collie at all, the darker pup dosent have such a gsd head
  14. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    Theres no merle on these pups??????
    Theres ticking, heavy ticking -but def no merleing/.

Does fudge have merlie Bits?
  15. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Interesting. But then, I find most things to do with genetics interesting.

Does anyone know what colours all of the original dogs that made up the gsd were. As it would be interesting to no if there were any of this colour in there, or if any have appeared since then, but before now.

As has already been stated, if your primary breeding aim is colour, then you may get unexpected results, as well as the possibility that conformation may slip, if it isn't the main objective for breeding.

But, they could also be crossbreeds, who knows.
  16. liverbird

liverbird New Member

Name:
    KAREN
    I wonder if they are working on producing

Skewbald, Palomino, Chestnut or Appaloosa even
  17. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Many people in many breeds that have bred for colour have got just what they wanted colour wise, but it seems to bring up a number of health issues! Many of them dont care as like pointed out, there breeding just for colour..:evil:

I also believe alot of cat breeders, breed for colour, although i dont know of any problems ect..as cat breeding isnt 'my thing' :lol:
  18. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    Oh just LOL
  19. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Yes that is true and no, there are not many issues associated with colour in cats.

But cats are not working animals as dogs are, so lack of pigment on ears/nose etc. can lead to issues with sunburn, as English Bull Terriers are prone to - and coincidentally that is one problem with colour that White cats have, for the same reason. White cats can also be deaf for the same reasons as Dalmatians and Merles.

The patterning on the Pied Shepherds doesn't look like merle to me, it is flecking/roaning as seen on Springers, Cockers etc.

It is entirely possible it could be a mutation not a cross-breeding, as GSDs are among the most populous breeds on the planet and it is in very common breeds that gene copies can sometimes alter slightly leading to colour mutation.

When you think how many GSDs have been bred in the last 100 years, compare that to the experiments that Belyaev did with the russian Silver Foxes, he noticed piebald and spotted coats turned up of their own accord fairly early on in his experiments, due to random mutation.

Compared to cat breeders, dog breeders tend to be a bit conservative about odd colours that turn up, and usually for good reason as all established breeds have their own set of accepted colours. But odd colours do turn up, I have seen pics of blue, lemon and tricolour Dalmatians on the web for instance - and there are recorded instances of black & tan Labradors.

Sometimes they are long-hidden recessives coming to light after centuries; sometimes they are natural mutations. Of course some are the result of cross-breeding, but that links back to the hidden recessives, the cross may have taken place many generations/decades before.

Who knows what colours were originally in the GSD? Certainly the all-white ones turned up in the early years - I don't know when the blue and liver ones started appearing.
  20. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Would never have recognised these pups as GSDs. Liked the name of one though-"Cherry Pie" that is what I affectionately call our Cherry!
  21. Fudgeley

Fudgeley New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I was told she had merle bits by a friend on FB who seemed to know what he was talking about.....but he was only looking at my photos.....