Any info on utonagan breeders/supporters? General Chat

Discussion in 'Utonagan' started by roberthawely1, May 13, 2010.

1. roberthawely1

roberthawely1 New Member

Name:
    rob

Any info on utonagan breeders/supporters?

Basically ive researched the utonagan breed having found them after looking into wolf hybrids, an animal with no wolf content is obviously a much safer bet for a companion, if anyone could give me some practical advice on how to get in touch re breeders etc it would be much appreciated.
    best wishes
    rob
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. alady??

alady?? New Member

Name:
    Lanie
    :grin: Yes but none of us have been on for a while, and you have found your way to "the other " forum... :shock:

They are the most wonderful breed I hve ever owned and if you want to ask anything please do

Regards

Lanie x
  4. murph

murph New Member

Name:
    James
    What the difference in personality/character between the utonagan and the NIS? are they not essentailly the same?- a mix of wolfy looking dogs?
    Why is no wolf content a better companion???
  5. BarbaraM

BarbaraM New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    A friend of mine has two of these wonderful dogs - I had never heard of them before, but I must say they are the most enchanting and gentle animals. I'll try and get her to join Dogsey
  6. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Because a wolf is a wild animal and should remain so. Its been proven in the US that wolf hybids and high content crosses are unpredictiable and very hard to train by your joe blogs dog owner. Put an animal like this into the very over populated UK and its a nightmare waiting to happen.

NIs and Utes started the same but from what i have seen utes seem to allow the darker colours and longer coats in the breed then the NI. From meeting them at shows they do seem to have a very similar character though.
  7. murph

murph New Member

Name:
    James
    when i say wolf content I do not refer to wolf hybrids I refer to sarrloos/CWD type crosses
  8. alady??

alady?? New Member

Name:
    Lanie
    The Utes and NI founders came from Eddie Harrisons kennel, she had as far as I can see at least 20 dogs, the founders of the Inuit and Ute being mainly different lines, therefore different mixes and different types, the breeders then where aiming for the same end product but with 2 completely different ideas of how to get there, the Utes used more GSD and mixes than the NI as you can see in coat type an colours, Utes dont allow blue eyes, NI does, Utes no back Dews,NI do, Utes are also still bringing in founding stock to correct the breed type in order to have a more wolf like conformation. There are many variations of wolves and many breeders have a different look in their mind. Its probably fiar to make the same difference with say Cocker Spaniel/Field Spaniel, Belgian Shepherd/German Shepherd, Poodle/Bichon, Lhasa/Shih-tzu I could go on...... as with a lot of pedigree breeds there are a lot of similarities and a lot of slight differences.... Mainly the same temperament but through my own experience I would say the NI is more biddable, the Ute slightly more of a handful in the younger years. Both Wolf lookalikes, both slightly different.

The Utes have a lot more variation in colour, Black, White and different Shades of Timber (sable/Agouti to yous lot) and also allow a longer coat, but not a soft fluffy coat.

The difference being that not all families suit the Wolfdog, the thing is there are with every breed of dog characteristics that suit the home that wishes to share it with, some folks suit Wolfdogs, some dont, some suit Mals, some poodles.....why does anyone choose a breed??. I would love a wolfdog but they just wouldnt suit my homelife whereas the Utes fit me completely and I love my breed, after working with animals all my life and getting to know a variation of breeds the Ute ticked all my boxes....you seeit is NOT all about the looks it is about the temperament and the maintanance and what you would like your dog to do....I would love to get into rigging but a husky wouldnt suit me as I also want to go walking through the woods with my dogs off lead and know they will return, the Mal I love also but they are pretty much same sex aggresive so I would have a lot more work to have them all living together (as I like a lot of doglets in my life) Had GSDs and found them too clingy and obedient lols..... basically in order for you to choose your dog, you need to really question yourself at what you expect from your pet then you will find the breed that suits you.
  9. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Hi Rachel
    IMO yes there are less NIDs with longer coats, perhaps as it is against the BS but there are quite a few out there and I think their numbers are growing, (I love them):grin:

Ref the dark colours, I am not sure what you mean:?: