Chatty Gordons! Training

Discussion in 'Gordon Setter' started by Jessi Clark, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Jessi Clark

Jessi Clark New Member

Name:
    Jess

Chatty Gordons!

Griffin has properly found his voice and will happily grumble away but when he starts barking how do I shut him up?! I don't want him not to bark at all but does anyone have any way to teach him a 'quiet' command for when he's working himself up into a proper state, I've been trying but seem to have hit a brick wall! It's a trait that I knew would appear so will he grow into it as he 'matures', and Im using sarcastic quote marks there!, or do I just warn the neighbours!! Any help would be fab!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    oh yes the Gordons are GOBBY!

Sorry I don't have much help to offer - they don't go on and on but blimey they do make a noise! Max can be the worst culprit ! Connor is the chattiest and Bentley has a tantrum when things arenot going his way!

I'll be following this as would love to be able to keep them quiet!

Although gave myself a slap on Friday realising was rewarding Bentley for whining !!! silly me!
  4. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    The Gordons I used to have weren't gobby - the problem with them was sodding off whenever thet felt like it and giving me heart failure until I learned not to trust them off lead without a serious fence around them!
    I did have a problem with a very loud lab at one time.He drove me up the wall!He'd shut up when instructed to but start again 5 minutes later.
    The advice I received for him I thought completely loopy but I tried it (I would have tried pink sequin pajamas by then) but it worked.
    I was told to train him to 'Speak' on command.It made sense when I thought about it.His voice became something that was under my control and that he was rewarded for using.He would ASK to be allowed to 'speak' in the end by offering a paw with his head to one side.If I was in the mood I'd give the magic word and when I'd had enough I'd say 'that's enough' and he'd stop.
    In the meantime all I can reccomend is earplugs and aspirin...
  5. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
    Ivan would bark constantly at cats sitting on out back wall. I swear they would do it on purpose to taunt him!!
    I would stand behind him with a treat (ham for him) and make a really sharp shrill squeek that would get his attention, or you could clap your hands or a loud "oi", something to distract them, as soon as he would turn his head to me I would say "quiet" and reward.
    It did take a while and at first he would just turn around and start barking straight away but I kept up the noise to distract and then reward.
    Eventually I didn't have to make the noise and could just give the "quiet" command and he would stop and only get rewarded every other time and eventually the rewards were phased out.
    This is just what worked for me. Hope it is of some help xx
  6. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Ha ha, I have gobby English and a songstress for an Irish, so I fully sympathise!!:lol: I taught Jamie to "speak"... :roll: wish I hadn't, he never shuts up!!:shock: :lol: He has yet to master the "quiet" command. Deacon is lovely as he isn't such a forceful barker and Honey literally sings, but is no Alicia Keys sadly!;-)

Looking forward to any advise too!!:mrgreen:
  7. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I am so amazed at your gobby English - that's what I love about Charlie never hear a peep from him despite the Gordons gobbing off.
  8. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    :lol: :lol: Thats why I love my Pointer.... so quiet, unless she sees a cat!!;-) :lol:
  9. Jessi Clark

Jessi Clark New Member

Name:
    Jess
    Well Chester will talk and speak on command, that is he'll bark and grumble at different instructions, and thinking this might control Griffin's voice I started doing this with him too but he has issues with the stopping not the initial command, think we'll work harder at that and then hopefully the quiet will come after, hopefully!!

Will definitely try this if he starts to talk for no reason or at something in particular, atm it's more if he wants attention or when I've asked him to do something and he's getting excited:roll: .

Thanks hun, I knew he'd be more mouthy than Chester, though he doesn't throw tantrums like Chester...yet, another piece of wisdom his brother will impart in time I'm sure:roll: ! I'm finding that keeping treats with me almost all the time and randomly rewarding silence is working quite well, though am frequently presented with a very puzzled puppy coz he thinks he should be actually doing something for the reward bless him. Have a wonderful mental picture of poor Charlie in the middle of all the gobby gordons looking bemused!!:mrgreen:
  10. Jessi Clark

Jessi Clark New Member

Name:
    Jess
    Well I mucked up the multi quote button properly didn't I:blush: :roll: ! And there I thought your english were all quiet and dignified;-) ! Chester has been taught to "speak" and "talk" but he doesn't sing thank goodness, he always looks quite shocked by Griffins outbursts:grin: ! Poor Codee stuck in the middle;-) .