Rough Collies - past and present Discussions

Discussion in 'Collie (Rough)' started by Moobli, Mar 14, 2011.

1. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Collies have a longer face - the smooth coat at Crufts looked more Collie like than the rough coat IMO

I do have to agree with Mish, the ears seem a little folded for what I believe a Collie is. The picture of a collie is Lassie - thats how a Collie should look like - it's the picture I grew up with and prefer.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. SallyG

SallyG New Member

Name:
    Sally
    My parents used to have Roughs, I dont have any digital photos to share, they didnt look like the Canadian dogs and they shouldnt have a flat stop, their eye placement and ears look all wrong to me.
  4. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Ahhh but judging by the pics of old collies, that's the way they used to be. that's the way they've always been here. Lassie had a flat stop, too
  5. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    1930s
    [​IMG]

Now THOSE are Rough Collies! :049:

It's so sad how the breed has changed, I used to love watching Lassie. :(

I'd love to have one to work if it looked like the above picture!
  6. SallyG

SallyG New Member

Name:
    Sally
    That wouldnt conform to the KC breed standard now, as it calls for a slight but perceptible stop or break
  7. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    Not those ears though, shrunk to peices
  8. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I love the one at the front with the white blaze. If I could find one like that, with some inherent working ability, I would snap it up. Sadly, the days of the working rough collie and long and truly dead (again, ruined by breeding purely for the show ring for so many years imo).
  9. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    It's such a shame, I wonder why nobody continued to work them? They're such a stunning dog, if you win the lottery you should attempt to revive the working side! ;)
  10. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
  11. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    as far as i know 1 does till work;-)
  12. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Hi rough, thank you for your reply. I see you have owned RC before what are your experinces with them like and do you know any good breeders?
  13. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    hi yes to both questions, i've had my first one 36 years ago:grin: lassie film was to blame:p
  14. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Hi, thank you for your reply:grin: can you please tell me your story with RC (if you don't mind) and can you recommend the breeders please.
  15. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    would be happy too. i can recommend breeders but i'll need to know what colour and type you are interested in.;-)
  16. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Thank you :) I am looking for sable and white RC.
  17. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    no probs, i'll need to know what type you prefer and when you were looking for one and what area you can travel to:)
  18. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    May I ask what you mean by "type?" and I live near skipton/burnley so the futherest I can travel is blackpool Manchester or Liverpool etc :)
  19. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    by type i mean like the dog in the older lassie films? or the more modern type?:)
  20. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    I like the RC that are the lassie type as they seem to have less coat...
  21. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    In one of your earlier posts, it sounded as though you know some Rough Collies that still actually work? I would love to know who owns/breeds them like that. I would also like to know whether there are any breeders of the old fashioned "Lassie" type of collie that has beauty AND brains, and is a larger type of dog with a less profuse coat. I know there are at least a couple of us on the list who would love to get our hands on a collie like that, if one were to still exist in the UK :grin: