Shih-tzu or Lhasa apso - Does anyone have experience of both breeds? Questions

Discussion in 'Lhasa Apso' started by Murf, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf

Shih-tzu or Lhasa apso - Does anyone have experience of both breeds?

Anyone have personal experience of both breeds ??
    What would the major differences besides physical be?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. scottyvdub

scottyvdub New Member

Name:
    SCOTTY
    only experienced Lhasa apso, my mums friend had one, great little well trained dog done tricks like stand on back legs and do 360 turn around for a treat, i had one of her pups a boy jay jay (rip 16yrs) Lhasa apso cross bearded collie, yeah i know, and it wasnt some designer breed thing just the birds and the bees thing, great little dog, easy to train like to get up on back legs and stay as a trick.
  4. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Lhaso anyday.
  5. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I find Lhasa's easier to groom!
  6. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Talking about grooming what is the shortest neatest trim they get ?how often do they need it ?
  7. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I have 1 Lhasa and 2 Shihs at the moment - The lhasa is done short, teddy bear using clippers, looks cute, do him every 8 weeks (ish) although I have to do his face in between times (he was a rescue and had to have all but one of his teeth removed, and he cannot have very much facial hair as it gets a bit gross!)

The Shih gets done every 2-3 months, she is kept a bit longer, owner brushes her well and I scissor her to about 2/3 inches all over.

As to how often, it really depends on what you want and how much you put in between times.
  8. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I've not met many Shih Tzus but all the Lhasas I have met have been very stubborn and wilful. Trouble is because they are so small and cute looking people laugh at them and they get away with it!

At training class there was one and she would never recall to her owner. Everyone would laugh but personally I would find this very annoying and it wouldn't be funny if the dog's lead snapped and it ran near the road and it wouldn't come back!

Are they normally like this or did these ones just have owners who spoilt them and let them get away with it?

I also don't like the way so many people shave their Lhasas so they look like a short-haired breed and their eyes bulge. We had someone in class with a Lhasa who left the coat long and it looked beautiful as it was a very showy gold colour too. I guess it's all the grooming that you would need to do that puts people off keeping them like this though.
  9. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Even short, Lhasas should not really have bulgy eyes....thats the 'other' ones! :lol:
  10. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Another question Tass:lol:
    Have you ever groomed a Lowchen ??
  11. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Nope, sorry.
    A friend has one, he grooms it himself and keeps it in a lion cut.
  12. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Only experience I have had with a shih tzu was an older rescue/foster - he was quite a character when he wanted to be, but he could be quite snappy at times (not breed related I doubt, more of his past!) In fact the first dog I was bit by was this very dog, left a right scare he did :rolleyes: He was stubborn, and didnt like to do anything he didnt want..He loved his walks and could go for a couple of hours a time, one thing that puts me off was his snoring!!!!! - when he first come he was shaved due to matts, but we grew his coat - I brushed him daily, and didnt find it to be to much work - never groomed a Lhasa though, so couldnt compare.
  13. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Try having the 2 boxers and Tia snoring at you ..lol
    She has a unique sound though ..
  14. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    I am always at a loss to understand why people have long coated breeds like Lhasa Apsos & then cut their coat off

Shih Tzus originated in China from a cross between Pekingese of the Royal court & Lhasa Apsos taken from the Tibetan Monasteries.

The coat on a Lhasa should never be cut short as it is the dog's natural protection against the cold & heat, the same applies to the Shih Tzu
  15. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    :roll: I like them short so there ..:p
  16. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I actually think they look quite cute when done short, but actually the ones I groom are all unintentional rescues! I do not think the owners would have gone out and chosen these particular dogs at all!
  17. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay

:? :? :? :? :? :? :?
  18. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    My wife has owned a shih cross for nigh on 17 years and shes kept short for her own comfort ,she not a show dog she runs in leaves and mud and god knows what..

You can :? all you like i asked what the difference between breeds and you had a go because i wanted to know what a short cut was like ,
    It didnt answer the original question so was there really a need for you to share your opinion ..
  19. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    I lost my Lhasa Apso Cassie, aged 15 last September. She was a lovely family dog and a real character. Yes she was a little stubborn at times but that was her only fault. I kept her coat long until she was about 9 and then gave her a 'puppy cut' of about 1" all over and she looked so cute. Lhasas have slightly longer muzzles that ****zus and lhasas certainly do not have bulgy eyes:roll: !! In the winter she wore a fleece jumper when out to stop her getting cold/wet.
  20. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Sorry for your loss..
    We ended up rescuing a shih tzu cross puppy just last week..
  21. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    There are TONS of shih tsu's here, and shih tsu's crossed with everything under the sun. Lhasa's are less popular. I have a Lhasa x Bichon, but she's not a good example to use as her abuse and/or puppy mill background leads her to severe fear and paranoia.

I like both breeds, though there are differences. Shih tsu's are prone to shallow eye sockets, where as Lhasa's are not. Lhasa's are little guard dogs, Shih tsu's as a breeed are less barky, both have beautiful coats.