Northern inuits and training... General Chat

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by x-clo-x, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Sundance

Sundance New Member

Name:
    Trish
    Much would depend on your uncle e.g. is he looking to compete in agility, obedience? Also, how much training is he willing to put into any type of dog he gets - or is the dog going to be a family dog and go on walks and hols? similar to most dogs I guess?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    I notice there's a 10mth old NI at the Mayhew Home at the moment.
  4. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    There is a video of her on their site ..
  5. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Aww - she is cute :)

And very didi by the looks of things :)
  6. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Thought that too....
  7. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    If anyone is interested in offering Phoenix a new home, he is on the same advertising circuit as Chief.
  8. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    If he is looking into competing in agility or obedience then a northern inuit is most definately NOT the best choice of dog :shock:
  9. Sundance

Sundance New Member

Name:
    Trish
  10. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    I would think that anyone researching any breed would be interested in seeing the negatives aswell as the positives, so do not think it is a good starting point for somebody not familiar with the type of dog.
  11. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha
    One plus of a rescue being more idea of temprement? (and possibly health(?)) Not convinced on the health front - someone more knowledgeable could prob comment. Getting a fair few of Not huskys around here. Got one in our training class - still very much a puppy all teeth and energy.
  12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim New Member

Name:
    Liesl

Yep sadly some people just like the idea of a 'wolfy' dog and some breeders like the idea of the money put the 2 together and it is a receipe for disaster hence why there are so many in rescues:cry:

As others have since I will never have another one. My boy was only 5 when he died:-( He had HD and arthritis which was diagnosed when he was only 2! Whilst he didn't die from an inherited health problem I still would never have another one as I couldn't go through the heartache again.

On the plus side my boy was the easiest dog to have around. He had brilliant recall, very obedient, was a complete softy with children and could happily be left on his own, his only fault was the never ending moulting:lol::lol:
  13. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    must be daddys genes then my Kia is the same :)
  14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim New Member

Name:
    Liesl
    Must be as they looked pretty identical too:grin::-( Does Kia open doors? Morse always used to let himself in:lol:
  15. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Thread has gone off topic a bit but just wanted to say to the o.p that Alba (7 months old) has just passed her bronze and Silver kennel club good citizen award, her Dam Ava does very well in agility despite not starting it until she was two years old, so yes i'd say they do well in training if the owner is prepared to put in the work. Good luck whatever you decide.
  16. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    i would say that about ANY dog ;-) :)
  17. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Many dogs passed the same day, many failed, all started at the same time, wide variety of breeds.

My point being NI are not difficult to train which is what the op was asking.
  18. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I cannot agree with you there. . These dogs are so varied, yes there will be those who are much easier than others (this is the case in my household). I am sure Jill, who incidentally has an Olderhill bred dog can tell you it isn't always about time and effort spent training.
    Just my opinion but it is not always about time and effort, . Having said that it is my belief that not enough people make the effort with these dogs when it comes to training etc
  19. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Just to add. I think it is quite misleading and potentially dangerous to say these dogs are 'not difficult to train' . The last thing lovers of these dogs will want is for people to buy them thinking they are easy dogs. People need to go in with their eyes open. I think part of the reason there are so many in rescue and up for rehoming/ sale etc is because some breeders do not tell new owners the negatives as well as the positive. That and of course irresponsible breeding.
  20. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    I agree with Werewolf totally. From my experience these dogs are all so different. I do not like the blanket statements that they are easy to train, excel in agility and have perfect recall. This certainly does not relate to them all.

I do not find my northern inuits easy to train at all. Not in a way that they are incapable of learning. They most certainly are, but they also can very easily become bored or not interested, which means that it can be very difficult to get them to competition level only doing a small amount of training in order to keep them interested and enjoying themselves. I find my BSD and BC that we had in the past so much easier, willing and trainable.

Out of interest what grade is Ava. I haven't heard of any other northern inuits competing in agility before. Well done to her :grin:
  21. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    It does not matter what the breed is, some people cannot train an elderly, overweight labrador so I do not think anyone is going to be more attracted to a NI or any other breed by people saying they are easy to train.

The same could be said for children, many people do not have the parenting skills for these!

It is not the breed that is the issue (this is often what the Vicky Pollar school of dog training pupils use to excuse their lack of control "but it is a [insert relevant breed] and EVERYONE knows they are difficult/impossible to traiin".

It is not the breed per se but the lack of skills and tools of the owner/trainer.

Of course very few NI are going to be working Championship C in Obedience or TD stake in Working Trials etc, unless the person is a particular breed enthusiast AND has the required skills, ability, training, knowledge and experience to apply to their dog.

I can't see NI becoming terribly popular. ;)