Could Poodles ever go back to their original purpose? Discussions

Discussion in 'Poodle (Standard)' started by SLB, May 26, 2011.

1. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee

Could Poodles ever go back to their original purpose?

The other day whilst pondering the many breeds I could own - I thought of Poodles - they used to be gundogs. So my question as the title suggests - is can a Poodle go back to it's original roots - are there poodles out there that still portray their hunting instinct.

Now as it was pointed out to me I couldn't train a poodle to be a gun dog as it wouldn't be allowed on trials due to not being in that category anymore - but why were they took out of the category anyway - surely they weren't terrible at their original job?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I do not know who pointed out to you that you could not train a poodle to be a gundog, of course you can, and as I have said, some people do.

That has NOTHING to do with competing in Field Trials or Gundog Working Tests.

The poodle was, AFAIK, never in the gundog group in the UK?

So poodles do work as gundogs, but they are unlikely to be popular choices as there are no "working lines" of poodles from which to select so choosing one would be pot luck, and why bother when there are LOADS of gundogs which have been bred for generations to be "tools for the job"?
  4. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    The answer is Yes link in red
  5. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Absolutely stunning dogs! I love the way most of them have 'natural' looking, practical coat clips too. I guess the fancy show clips put a lot of people off poodles, but there's no law to say you have to keep them looking that way. I've always admired their intelligence, above their looks!
  6. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Well it wasn't that I couldn't train them - just they aren't recognised in trials or so we thought... :)

And as for the why bother - I was just thinking - it would be unusual - and if I failed at training a poodle - I could do agility and obedience - they are a versatile breed aren't they - anyway, like pointers- just exploring options.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2011
  7. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Indeed, I did not say that you couldnt train a poodle for gundog work - there have been many dogs of differing breeds working on shoots (I know of one man who trained a border collie) but Aimee mentioned gundog trials with them and I pointed out that she couldnt compete with one in GWT's or FT's.

Of course, WT is a different thing so to answer your question on here then yes, of course they could.
  8. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Ahh - so it's me getting the trials mixed up then - apologies people, not with it these days :):blush:
  9. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    The show clip (although preened to perfection) is actually a working practical clip, its gives buoyancy in the water and protection for vital organs.
  10. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    thank you!! i was just going to say that! it gets to me when people say "show clip" and presume we do it just to make the dog look pretty, not the fact it had a purpose and to protect the dog while doing its job.

in my opnion the standard poodles have never lost thier ability to work. a man that comes in the pub has got a gorgeous girl, and her drive is amazing. she is a great retriever and extremely consistent. she doesnt give up until she gets whatever shes been sent to find.
  11. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Yes, I'm aware it is a traditional clip - but regardless of its origins or purpose, it's a fact that many people simply don't like the look of it :)
  12. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    yes but you said "the fancy show clip" why not state that it was in fact done years and years ago for a working purpose. the clip wasnt invented for the show ring, but for the safety of the animal when working.
  13. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Here's a site you may find interesting.

www.vipoodle.org

there are breeders in Canada and the US who are working to get the "work" back into poodles

I adore the breed, and they come second only to the Irish Terrier for me. I used to live with and train a St. Poodle... she was absolutely amazing! as were the one litter she had. They are a fantastic, versitile and inventive breed.
  14. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I was wondering when you were going to pop up ;) :)
  15. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Ahhh well now that I've "popped up", I'm going to bed! LOL It's 8 am and waaaayyyyyy past my bedtime! LOL

I really do love poodles, not quite as much as the IT, but I do love them nonetheless.
  16. Fernsmum

Fernsmum New Member

Name:
    Ali
    I have a little miniature poodle . She could certainly be trained to be a gundog . She covers the ground like a spaniel when we are on walks . She is the first to alert the others to the presence of any game eg deer . hare etc .
    She is a great little golf ball hunter . I take her to the golf course and she can sniff them out when they are buried deep in the grass . She gets very excited and her tail goes round like a little sniffer dog .
    She is very popular with the golfers in my village :lol:
  17. pinklizzy

pinklizzy New Member

Name:
    N/A
    I think my poodlet is a little confused! She hates the water but likes to stalk birds on land! Her absolute favourite pastime is to chase sparrows and black birds on the playing field where we walk, then bounce up and down on her hind legs like a black fuzzy meerkat when they suddenly take off! :lol:
  18. moetmum

moetmum New Member

Name:
    Gerry
    Poodles are fantastic dogs, very versatile. people don't look beyond the coat! I can never understand why anyone would want to cross breed them.
  19. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Really?? other retriever breeds manage just fine minus the fancy haircut...

I much prefer them when not in a show cut. I think public perception of the breed is the Poodles you see winning at Crufts. I was showing my mum, who is not particularly dog savvy (but not completely clueless), pictures of Standards minus the show cut and she couldn't identify the breed. She was shocked when I told her what they were.
  20. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    No I agree with Clo...

The show coat as it is referred to now... the bobbles on the back were to protect the kidneys I believe, the bobble on the tail - to protect the end, on the feet - to protect the joints and the whole chest bobble over the head was to protect the heart and head and ears - the coat has a purpose and it was what was in fashion when the Germans were developing the poodle. The French took over and the poodles became court yard dogs, then they were developed further to get the 3 sizes..
  21. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    yes the coat was clipped that way for protection, before the dogs ever made it into a show ring.