Boerboels - anyone got one? General Chat

Discussion in 'Boerboel' started by valandra, Jul 18, 2011.

1. valandra

valandra New Member

Name:
    Purdy

Boerboels - anyone got one?

Does anyone own one of these. I think they are such lovely dogs. I would love one but i dont think i have enough room for one :(
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Researched them before My oz was diagnosed with a dodgy hip...
    Was ready to visit a breeder and all...
  4. valandra

valandra New Member

Name:
    Purdy
    There sooo nice. They have such a nice nature as well. Just seen one on Animal Cops in Africa. Really wish i had the room for one
  5. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    They are a big strong dogs ....
    Put a lot of thought in too one and ended up with a shih tzu cross ,,,go figure ..,lol
  6. valandra

valandra New Member

Name:
    Purdy
    ROFL how on earth did you go from wanting one of those to having a shih tzu cross
  7. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Oz the boxer's bad hip...
    And was not far on our oldie shih tzu cross...
    Then coco was seen in rescue and 3 days later we had her..
  8. valandra

valandra New Member

Name:
    Purdy
    Aww bless. At least you got a rescue and im sure you do not regret getting a wee little dog lol. I would love to see one of these dogs in person. The Boerboel that is lol
  9. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
  10. Zuluandnaomi

Zuluandnaomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    I havent owned one, but having lived in SA I have been around a lot and have lots of friends with them.

No doubting they are quite an intimidating looking dog to come across, especially ones with amber eyes lol. They are fiercly loyal and protective and an extremely family orientated dog. Very big and powerful. They are extremely common guard and farm dogs in SA - the sort that let people in but not out again haha. I remember this female being fine with me outside in the garden, I went into the house to the loo and she was very very intimidating at me coming out of the house again! The males can be absolutely enormous. The other dog at that house was male and my hubby could spread his 2 hands over the top of his skull with space.

I imagine you would need a lot of space for these dogs both inside and outside, but in essence they are a mastiff and have that sort of nature. I probably wouldnt recommend them for an inexperienced dog owner just because of their size and that you would have to be very firm and hot on training to make sure their manners were top notch because of the accidents that can happen if something were to go wrong.
  11. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I had the name Zulu in mind for mine ;-)
  12. Zuluandnaomi

Zuluandnaomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    great name :grin: :grin: :grin:
  13. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    My grandfather lived in SA and owned one of these. I remember visiting when I was a littel girl and yes they are very family oriented.

I woudl love one but I'm not a bull breed "person" if that makes sense. Having said that, I'm not a lurcher/longdog person either!!

They will play with any kids until the kids drop out of sheer exhaustion. They will follow a child anywhere and everywhere. Just as my Zane (GSD, not Boerboel) follows Oscar about when we're in the park. Any child associated with one of these dogs is as safe as houses but obviously I wouldn't recommend leaving a young child alone with one - nothing to do with the dog itself, it's children I don't trust.

They are amazing dogs to look at. They don't have the bulk of the Neopolitan or even the French Mastiff but you can see almost every muscle under their coats.

Are there any breeders in the UK? I thought they'd have to be imported but am happy to stand corrected.
  14. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    There are breeders in the UK.
  15. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    There is a breeder close to me here ..
    And if memory serves a breeder in Scotland is a member here ..
  16. Zuluandnaomi

Zuluandnaomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    yep, a few breeders over here. i think its actually quite fortunate that alot of people dont really know about these dogs yet because they are pretty rare here, because I think they would be the idiots next dog of choice for their impressive looks.
  17. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    See a few cross litters so it will not be long ...
  18. Benzmum

Benzmum New Member

Name:
    Lynne
    I am friends with a breeder on a social networking site and I am hoping to visit them and their dogs and hopefully next week. I LOVE them but need to gain a lot more experience and a bigger house before even seriously thinking. But they are absolutely stunning dogs :)
  19. valandra

valandra New Member

Name:
    Purdy
    Fab love the second pic :grin:

I heard they are very good guard dogs. Thats what i want but i think these ones would be too big for me lol. I love mastiffs but im going along the lines of a rottie for my bigger dog. Really wish i had the room for one of thses tho.
  20. valandra

valandra New Member

Name:
    Purdy
    Aww they really do sound like such nice dogs. My Stella loves big breeds as well. She would love it if i got one lol

Well hopefully this will not happen as they do need a lot of space and they need to eat a lot as well. Most status people around here are all unemployed and would defo not be able to afford to feed, flea, worm ect
  21. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Just seen an advert for a cross litter and they were being sold as a breed that is used to keep lions of farms in SA....:roll: