GSD breeders General Chat

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by TabithaJ, Aug 15, 2011.

1. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

GSD breeders

I realise that it is early days as I can't get a second dog for another year, but as the GSD is the top of my list, I'm keen to start looking at breeders.

I'll be looking for a dog to be a pet, so does that mean I should rule out working GSDs?

If we're allowed to recommend breeders, do any of you have any recommendations for me, even if it just means that I'm looking at their websites for the time being?

In terms of what I know I want: I will be doing a lot more reading and research about the breed but I think I'd like a tan and black GSD. I don't mind if it's a short or long coat, though.

Also, any advice re the crucial health tests that reputable breeders of GSDs will always do?

Many thanks for any responses!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear

Hi

Health tests:

Hip scoring - the BMS is 19, therefore breeding stock should have a total hip score (left + right) of much less than this. Also it is better if hips are as even as poss eg 7:7 is better than 2:12

Elbow scoring - the highest total possible is 3, unlike hip scores, elbows are not added together so if the dog has a score of 1:2 the total = 2. You are looking for score of 0 ie 0:0 or 1 at the very most.

Eye Testing - GSD are on Schedule A for HC (Hereditary Cataract) therefore all breeding stock should be screened annually.

Haemophilia - Males must be tested for this, and have a certificate that says they are clear (usually from IDEXX labs).

Temperament

All breeding stock should have a good temperament a sign of this could be:

Gold Good Citizens Test
    Temperament Tested "Excellent"
    BH (in Schutzhund)
    Regularly Shown at championship Shows
    Registered Pat Dog

Conformation

Breed Survey Class 1

Dogs who have been surveyed can be scored as:

Class 1
    Class 1 minus
    Class 2
    Class 3 minus

or unable to be classified.

Class 1 means it meets the breed standard, has all 42 teeth, and has been tested for temperament and gun shyness.

Wins at Championship Show level ie Limit Dog/Bitch or Open, is a v good indicator. I(However the show world is still split between types).

Graded G, SG, V or VA at the British Sieger or abroad In order to achieve this the dog must have been breed surveyed (in adult classes) etc.

A working dog does not have to be ruled out, but I am sure collectively we could steer you away from any kennels that may not, for one reason or another, be suitable.

HTH
  4. kammi_sparky123

kammi_sparky123 New Member

Name:
  5. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Many thanks, that's really helpful info :)

And yes, thank you very much, any feedback from yourself and others on Dogsey will be greatly appreciated :) I've looked already at several breeders' websites - I'm developing an idea of what I like in terms of 'looks' but of course I know there is so much more than that, and temperament and health are THE key things.

At our local park there are two gorgeous GSDs. But I get the feeling they are not from especially good breeders, given the sheer speed with which the owners managed to get them, among other things... No idea if these dogs are good examples of their breed, but they are lovely nevertheless :)

I'm going to be super careful about which breeders I focus on, when it comes to nearer the time. I have a lot of reading to do :)
  6. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
  7. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Depends on the breeder of the"working"GSD, here in the UK most people consider longcoated GSDs from dogs that do Obedience as"working"GSDs, they aren't they are simply GSDs with a non standard coat that do obedience.

Real working GSDs come from either HGH(herding dogs)lines or VPG(previously Schutzhund)lines. They have to have 150% temperaments & raised correctly can make good pets as long as they are trained correctly.

Tan & Black ?? You want a GSD that is mainly tan with black markings ? If so that would be a non standard colour so I doubt if a responsible breeder would be able to supply one.

Health testing someone else has posted, but omitted the Dwarfism & Degenerative Myelopathy DNA tests. both these tests need to be done as dogs carrying either should not really be bred from at all. I would also add that I would not breed from a GSD with an elbow score of more than 0
  8. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Thanks Joedee!!

That's very interesting actually, as I noticed just today that dwarfism was mentioned on one GSD breeder's site, yet not on the others that I looked at?

Re tan & black - I've probably described what I mean badly! :mrgreen: Clearly I need to do more reading up about the various colours that are standard etc.
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Don't worry, it is just Black and Tan in reverse! ;)

Calling a dog the wrong colour was not a hanging offence last time I looked.............. ;)
  10. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

:mrgreen: Thank you SB :)
  11. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Great that you are researching GSDs well before thinking of getting one :)

SB and JoedeeUK have covered the health aspects that you need to be aware of already. Equally as important as health is temperament imo. Depending on the type of dog you want, it is a good idea to visit dog shows where GSDs have classes, as well as obedience shows, WT comps and Schutzhund clubs so you can get an idea of the type of dog you like from various breeders, as well as check out their temperaments and find out whether they have a temp you could live with.

I started out with a rescue GSD of sorts (she was a rejected police dog), and I have since had an English line obedience bred longcoat and a West German show line longcoat. I do love the longcoats and would happily go back to Yogi's breeder for another pup if I wanted another longcoat pup (www.kazetigsds.co.uk) as he is a brilliant companion dog - healthy, gorgeous to look at and with a great temperament. He can be a little bit sensitive at times, but is not fearful at all and has enough drive for me to do obedience, agility and tracking with. However, for my next GSD pup (which I plan to get in 1-2 years time) I am aiming to get a working line pup.

Good luck in your search.
  12. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Perhaps not :002: however if I were a GSD breeder & someone asked me for a Tan & Black GSD it would show to me a lack of knowledge of the breed, a bit like people who say that Sable is their favourite colour
  13. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear

Oh for heavens sake Dyane we ALL had to start SOMEWHERE! Even YOU did not pop out of the womb knowing all there is to know about GSD!;-)

That is one of the functions of forums to ask, to query, to learn.;-)

And hopefully YOU are still learning.8)

If everyone knew it all there would be no reason for forums like this where knowledge and experience are shared would there?:shock:

TJ is in the process of researching a breed she may want to have in the future, she has not toddled off to the nearest producer to get a pup!

Sable is MY favourite colour! :)
  14. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

I won't be approaching breeders until I have done a lot more research.

Also, even if I did make a mistake in terminology, hopefully a reputable and experienced breeder would be perceptive enough to recognise me as a genuine enquirer.

SMOKEY BEAR - many thanks for your comments :)
  15. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    Tabitha re health tests the KC at one stage were going to stop the eye test but I had a dog with HC early 90s so they continued they are only in certain English lines and those that have tested have only done it as a one off they dont do yearly so pointless
    There is one breeder who has now started to test for A/F
    A workline could be suitable providing your go to a breeder that is able to assess the pups properly as not all the litter will be suitable working prospect
  16. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Sable of course is NOT a colour, it is a colour pattern is all breeds in which it occurs, which is why in Germany the dogs I like are called Grey & not sable :002:

As for Hereditary Cataract depends whether the onset is early or late when it comes to eye testing
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2011
  17. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear

Yes they ARE called Grey (I have one myself);-) but they are commonly called Sable, so what does it matter!:mrgreen:
  18. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    How do you think a modern breeder would react if someone asked for an alsatian pup now??
  19. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Stands back, puts helmet, flack jacket and ear defenders on...............
  20. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  21. Kazz

Kazz New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Have just looked at that site and have to say they are beautiful GSD's and you are tugging my heart strings......but I am not the owner for them I know it.