Hovawart - Does anyone own one? General Chat

Discussion in 'Hovawart' started by TabithaJ, Sep 6, 2011.

1. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Hovawart - Does anyone own one?

I love reading up about different breeds; recently I was reading about the Hovawart and when I saw the pictures, I thought they were simply gorgeous.

Has anyone here owned one? If so, any info on what they are like? Thanks in advance for any info ;)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    I don't have one - or know any - but I have always thought they are beautiful, and the ones I met at Crufts were lovely :)
  4. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Ooh, you've met some?? Were they friendly? How big are they in 'real life'?
  5. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    There are two that come to training, Mother and Daughter.. One was a very naughty girl and led Louie astray! Bad influence :lol: No on the serious side, they seem very friendly and they're no bigger than a Golden I would say.. but other than that I don't really know much about them..
  6. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Yep they were very sweet and friendly - similar in size to a Golden. But then the stands always pick the even tempered ones that are happy to be on show for the day so hard to know if it was a true representation :lol:

I think they are great though :)
  7. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Thanks guys :)

For some reason I had the idea they were bigger than Goldens, so good that you've put me right on this :)

Hopefully I will meet one, one day!
  8. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Some Hovawarts are bigger(way bigger)than Goldens it depends on their breeding

Min Inches is one of the best breeders of Hovawarts in the UK.
  9. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    According to the breed standard they are meant to be a bit bigger than goldens but the ones I saw were not much different...
    Are you thinking as one for your next dog?! :)
  10. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    On Min's behalf I thank you:grin:
    If you contact Min she will be glad to tell you about Hovies warts and all.

I used to travel to shows with Min as well as staying with her quite a lot. They are super dogs but can be quite strong minded:)
  11. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    I looked into Hovawarts a lot before I got Cooper, and I was very tempted and love the black and tans, I've been thinking about them again as a next dog, but the full blacks remind me so much of my boy Sam I don't know if I could do it :-(
  12. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    We had a black and tan one at heelwork to music classes. I thought it was a Collie cross at first!

The young girl who handled it at an award competition was very rough with it when it didn't do what she wanted-I'm surprised Annie Clayton didn't ban her!! I don't thnk it was the easiest dog to train.
  13. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I have judged one or two in Working Trials, they are on the FCI list for Schutzhund breeds on the Continent but we have not seen very impressive results from the very few worked here; not sure if that is down to breed, owner, both etc ;)
  14. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Fab, many thanks for that link :mrgreen: Am off to look at the site right now!

EDITED TO ADD:

Just followed the link kindly given by JOEDEE. Wow, those dogs are handsome.... They have the most beautiful faces....
  15. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    As beautiful as they are, if the 2 who come to class are typical of the breed then they arent for me. Very intelligent but very low energy and seem to lack focus and attention.
  16. Westie_N

Westie_N New Member

Name:
    Nicola
    I've met a few and this is also the impression I get of them.

Oh, and they are fair bit bigger than Golden Retrievers!
  17. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    I'm getting a Hovawart in the next 18 months to 2 years and have my sights set on importing a pup from either Sweden or Hungary.

I attended the breed club show back in October. Males are defintley larger than Golden Retrievers, they're more GSD size with a couple a tad larger than that. The Bitches are considerably smaller and more along Golden Retriever size. They're very trainable but can prove challenging. One lady had been in GSDs for years and said her young Hovawart was far more challenging than training a GSD! The youngsters are VERY bouncy and one pup in particular was very hard to manage on lead. His owners said they was looking forward to the day he matures! He was super friendly with a gorgeous soft coat, but as a breed they're meant to be reserved. That comes with maturity around 3/4years old when they become a much more steady dog. They're guard dogs and have a deep, powerful bark. One male we met was actually working as a guard dog on the farm he lived on and he lived mostly outside. They're generally good around other dogs, although males can be "dominant" with others and i saw two males during the show that got barky with each other during showing! Fellow owners said they're sometimes "fiery". They have excellent working abilities and this has ( so far, and hopefully will be ) been preserved in the breed. They need to be doing something and are certainly not couch potatoes. Many excel at tracking as they have great noses. I plan on working my Hovvie in working trials and possibly schutzhund or SAR work. For a large breed they're pretty long lived with the average life span of 12 years. Although many have lived past 13.

I'm in love with them and know they're the breed for me :)
  18. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Good luck, I hope you have more success in WT than anybody else has had thus far, they have not excelled in this sport to date.

I have not seen any Hovies in Schutzhund bar one which got a BH last year.

So I will look forward to your debut!