Lakeland Terriers

Discussion in 'Lakeland Terrier' started by Sal, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally

Lakeland Terriers

Tell me about them please :)

O/h has decided this is what our next breed will be after Meg,so I need to know all about them,good and bad!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    leadstaffs keeps them ..
  4. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    I think they a brilliant dogs and I have kept both Staffords and Lakeland's together for 6 years.

Bearing in mind all dogs are individual, I find they are a more complicated dog than the Stafford, They love being with you and can walk all day or be a couch potato as you wish.
    You can usually take them anywhere and they are not as heavy when they sit on your lap.
    More grooming needs than a stafford.

Does OH want a show type or a working type.

Working type could have more variables unless from a serious kennel who has been breeding for type for years.

Lakeland's were bred to kill fox not flush them or hold them like some other terriers but to go to earth and kill them.
    Having said that they should not be quarrelsome with other dogs as they ran with the hounds and a quarrelsome dog was usually a dead dog.
    Should be confident and good with well behaved children.
  5. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Pics now please :mrgreen:
  6. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    I am a very bad Mum and don't have a huge amount of photos.

Teddy
    [​IMG]

Teddy and Becky
    [​IMG]

Kirk as a puppy saying hello to the cat
    [​IMG]

Cilla in posh trim

[​IMG]

Cilla doing flirt pole with Sonny

[​IMG]
    At Formby
    [​IMG]
    Getting the big one
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
  7. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    When i was looking at mini bullterrier the breeder i had been looking at breed lakelands too...
    [​IMG]
    They are very cute pup lol
  8. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    They are stunning. I can see how someone might have mistaken cilla for an irish though, looks similair to the untrained eye :blush:

Since meeting ebony I have fallen for the smooth fox terrier too. She was so beautiful.
  9. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Only about 4 or 5 inches in height difference though.

Ebony was no trouble to have at all only thing was the hair casting, which you dont get in the broken haired terriers.
  10. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Wow-she looks gorgeous in the show trim picture.

We got offered a Lakeland needing a new home from a Kerry breeder before we found Izzy but it wasn't dog-friendly so it was a big no-no from Jamie.
  11. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Ps-re my previous post, the same breeder also had a female Kerry we could have had but she also was not dog-friendly sadly. I think breeder's dogs not wonderful temperaments judging by what other Kerry breeder told me.
  12. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Wow,Thanks all :)

Loving those pics :grin:

O/H was thinking working lines,but I don't think he's fussy ;-)
  13. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    If he wants working lines and he wants something proper. When you are ready I do know some who have working Lakies and they are serious breeders who have been breeding working stock for generations.
    Thats human generations, so a long time.
  14. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    That is not really a thing fair to say. I heard an other terrier person say someone elses dogs had bad temperaments. I know for a fact that what they were saying was not true. Just someone slagging off someone more succesful than they were in the show ring.

I know a lot of Kerry breeders and their dogs are all of good temperment.
  15. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Well I am sorry but that is not what the Kerry breeder said recently to me. She warned about taking the bitch we were offered as this breeder's dogs were not of a good temperament and she had one that was "an absolute nutcase".

She also put me off another well-known breeder of a dog we may have taken on.

I cannot name this person for obvious reasons but she has been in the breed for many, many years. Of course it may have been sour grapes but I was not going to be getting a dog from her as she knew we were not looking for a puppy.

I also know people who show at higher levels and they have had problems with Kerry temperament so I am not making it up!
    I would much rather say that they are all wonderful temperaments but I think that would be called burying your head in the sand.
    I do think if you have to tell people that they cannot mix your dog with other dogs normally that it is not a good temperament!
  16. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Well I have heard breeders slagger others off.

Personally I am going off my own first hand experience not hearsay. I have been in people houses and seen their dogs mixing with other dogs.
    I have seen adult dogs brought into homes with other dogs and mixing in fine.

Not saying it is an easy breed to do that with but I have seen a lot that are just fine.
  17. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Thanks for your help Chris,
    Much appreciated :)
  18. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Thanks-you have cheered me up Leadstaffs! I am always getting judges at shows comment on my Kerry's nice temperament and saying how unusual it is. Also have had nasty comments from other exhibitors saying "Keep your Kerry away from my dog-they're not nice temperaments" :-(

I am really glad you have met positive examples of the breed. Jamie and I were seriously thinking of another breed after Parker passes away as we were feeling quite discouraged by what we have been told.

We just need to be careful and visit some dogs shows and see how the dogs behave there I guess.

Lakelands are lovely but they are very uncomon round here. I have seen many more Kerries in the last 8 years than Lakelands and yet I guess the registration figures would be a lot higher for Lakies.
  19. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    I get that alot with my Staffords yet it is not true.

2010 KC registrations Kerry Blue 223 Lakeland Terrier 254
  20. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I think Chris is single handedly bring the Liverpool figure of Lakelands up :lol:

Saying that though there are some cracking breeds at our ring craft that I had never seen before in the flesh, Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, A Newfoundland, A Bloodhound.

I would love a Bloodhound one day, only 55 registered last year though :(
  21. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Well if they relied on me they would be in trouble. I did not have a litter in 2010.

There is a breeder just outside Southport but that all in the area.