Northern Inuit - Crate and Chewing Advise Behaviour

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by jrd1105, Dec 6, 2011.

1. jrd1105

jrd1105 New Member

Name:
    Jason

Northern Inuit - Crate and Chewing Advise

Hi All

I have had Tia for a week now, in that week she is a very shy dog, but is coming out of herself. I was told she would poo and wee in the house. Luckily and with persistance she is doing that in the back garden now. Although never on a walk.

I also bought her a new bed which she has more or less destroyed, in her crate. She does not chew anywhere else what can i do to stop this. I have put biscuits and other treats/toy in her crate when she goes to bed. She is also whining last night was at 2 am, most nights 5-6 am, I literally have to pull her outside to the toilet at this time.

Any advise please any one

Jason
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Foam beds can be very tempting as lots of dogs enjoy picking stuffing.
    Try just using a blanket that you are not bothered about being chewed and maybe leave some safe toys in there that will satisfy her need to chew. My dog is 17months and although she chews nothing else (apart from toys) she loves to destroy beds!!
  4. jrd1105

jrd1105 New Member

Name:
    Jason
    this was not foam but a type of stringy filler from pets are us. She already has a blanket in there and some toys. When i let her out this morning she went and hid behind the xmas tree. Considering I have never shouted or raised my hand at her, i would like to stop to this behaviour as well.
  5. krlyr

krlyr

Name:
    Karly
    You can get beds for chewers, like Tuffies. Otherwise, duvets make cheap, easily-replaced beds.

As for the nervous behaviour, it will take time, she hasn't been with you long. I believe there's also evidence that some dogs are just more wary of raised hands etc, and it doesn't even mean they've been hit in the past, they're just more handshy. Casper has been with me for 2.5 years now and never been shouted at or hit and he still slinks down to the floor when voices are raised or arms waved near him (even though it's just people joking around). A DAP diffuser/spray/collar may help take the edge off her behaviour.
  6. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Would it be possible to have her sleeping with you in the bedroom? Your type of dog frequently suffer from SA and need to be with their human pack at all times. I have 2 "utonagan" types, although they are not registered utes, and there is no way in a million years that they would ever sleep away from us.

I have over 15 years of experience with these types of dogs, and personally I would never try and force them to sleep away from me. In time, you could possibly achieve success, but the stress that you will put Tia through in the meantime to me is unreasonable, unless there is a very good reason why she should not sleep in your bedroom.
  7. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ALL dogs can suffer from s.a,i have a house full of sleddies and an n,i and an n,i cross......none of which suffer s,a....some because i am lucky,but others because i have taught them how to handle it,
    dogs have to learn how to be alone,by all means start of sleeping with the dog in your room (i always do this with pups))(,it is far kinder not to do the 'cold turkey'but the aim is to slowly edge them out so that they learn being alone isnt that bad....

to never equip a dog for being left alone(as u never know what life brings) is not fair on the dog ,no matter how u try to justify it imo
  8. Sundance

Sundance New Member

Name:
    Trish
    Have had trouble with my Northern Inuit destroying bedding when she was a pup. Eventually gave up on nice cosy dog beds and had to put old blankets (from charity shops) in her crate. She now seems to have grown out of this. The one thing that would start her nibbling her bedding was if there was a label attached. Once she nibbled this it seemed she couldn't stop!

To settle your girl into your house it may help to treat her like a pup and sleep near her crate for a few nights. Or move the crate to outside the bedroom and gradually move it down to where you want it to be. Not sure why she is upset through the night but it might not be that she needs to go out for pee.

Hope she settles soon.
  9. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    I have to agree with this. It doesn't sound like separation anxiety to me anyway. She probably just needs to adjust to your routine and will given time.

Jason - don't panic about the bed, just give her a blanket. A dog with a thick coat might not want a bed anyway. I put a sheet of vet bed in Keiko's crate and she just shoves it to the side and sleeps on the crate tray. The vet bed is more for me than her! Dan's never slept on a bed. Hairy dogs often don't.

If she doesn't want the loo at silly o clock you don't need to try to put her outside. Try putting some lavender essential oil on her chest, or try a dap collar (I think I have one at work you can have). Also, try a night light, some dogs don't like the dark.
  10. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    I also have over 15 years experience with this type of dog. I must be a very bad owner as my dogs are not with me at all times. Neither do they always sleep in the same room as us.

After only a week of course everything will be strange for her. I personally would have her in the room with us to start with until she settles and then move her to where you want her to sleep.

My own dogs do generally sleep in our room when at home. They also have snuggly warm kennels at our mobile home, which we spend alot of weekends in and also occasionally sleep in the van whilst at shows. They are perfectly comfortable and happy with all situations.

I would never want to not teach my dogs to never settle whilst away from me.
  11. jrd1105

jrd1105 New Member

Name:
    Jason
    Thank you for all the advise. In the time i have had her, she is definitely coming out of her shell. Tonight she sneaked into my bedroom and laid on my bed.

What i have done is left the curtains opened, there is a street lamp outside my house so it is never really dark. I have also put a teddy in her crate.

Lets see how she gets on.

I did have a moment this evening where I was at training and just as i pulled up I saw my dog running down the street. My eldests friends was outside the door and somehow one of the kids could not have shut the door properly and she had escaped. As my previous dog was run over and killed I am paranoid to say the least and try to ensure that Tia does not come to the door when we have visitors. I was surprised when i called Tias name, as in good girl, she came straight back to me.

Jason
  12. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    hi jason... id take that teddy out if she is shredding bedding,chewing lets of a feel good chemical (similar to us eating chocolate :lol:)... if she is feeling unsettled she may start on the teddy instead of her bedding... dont want an obstruction....id wait a bit to leave her with soft toys :)
  13. chaospony

chaospony New Member

Name:
    Chaospony

One of the best things you can ever teach her is she can not go out the door without sitting down and being invited, I have always done this with all my dogs, I walk out first and once they relax I invite them to join me, now I can leave the front door wide open and they wont cross the threshold. I have found them sitting in the door way looking back like hey the door is open are you going to come and say we can go some where! lol:lol: :lol:
  14. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    I know that all and any dogs can suffer from SA - it is just IMO "northern breeds", for want of a better expression, are far more prevalent to it. And you know how much I admire you for what you have achieved with yours'.

However, I hold the opinion that if you take on a breed or a type that is prone to a particular type of behaviour, then it is unkind to "put them through the trauma of getting them out of it".

I know that in time, we could achieve Tai and Ben both sleeping downstairs, or better still, outside in kennels. However, to achieve this not only would my house be destroyed, or kennel, but the howling would be such that neither us nor our neighbours would be able to put up with it, even for very short periods to start with.

I know too that we could probably achieve "home alone" for a long period of time, building up to it slowly, but the above still applies. the pain and suffering that the dogs would go through, and us, our property and our neighbours, is just impossible to imagine!!

I take your point about it being unfair to the dogs if our circumstances changed though.
  15. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    I never said you or anyone else was a bad owner, Abbie. All I can state is my own personal experience of what I have gained over some 15 years. and that is that they certainly have to sleep with us, and to leave them home alone - even for just 5 minutes - results in my mahogany front door being more and more scored and scratched by their claws.
  16. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Phew!! That all sounds great news Jason.
  17. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    I am not saying that dogs cannot be destructive. I imagine our list of destroyed thing far exceeds many peoples.

What I am saying that is I do not think it is "unkind" to get your dogs to be used to being without you. What if you had to go into hospital or for some other reason had to leave them?

Of course if I could spend every waking minute with my dogs I would. Unfortunately I can't and neither can many other people. If I did not go to work I would not be able to afford to do all the fun things that me and my dogs live for.

They have a weekend home with 10 acres to play in. They have a van that means they can safely travel. They have a field at home to run in. They go training and playing with other dogs several times a week. They get the best food and all the toys and treats they could want.

If I didn't go to work they would not have any of this and the suggestion that dogs that are left alone for a short time are going through "pain and suffering" I absolutely disagree with.
  18. krlyr

krlyr

Name:
    Karly
    Building it up slowly wouldn't cause your dogs pain and suffering, the whole point is you go slowly enough to not reach the point it distresses them.
    Of course, you have already admitted in the past that you can't be bothered - sorry, "don't have time" to train your dogs so it's no real surprise.

To the OP, please do not believe that it is normal to just accept your dog's bad traits as a breed trait. Yes, certain breeds can be more prone to seperation anxiety but this doesn't make it uncurable, nor does the cure have to be stressful to your dog. Far more stressful, as pointed out, to not deal with this behaviour and it become a huge issue if you were to be hospitalised, stuck away from home because of a flood, and so on. Tackle your issues with kind, patient methods and your dog will learn to be left alone, the effort is worth it for the mental health of your dog should your situation ever change suddenly.