Few queries about working Golden Retrievers? Questions

Discussion in 'Golden Retriever' started by TabithaJ, Dec 8, 2011.

1. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Few queries about working Golden Retrievers?

Just wondering if any folk with knowledge of this breed might be able to help answer my queries - many thanks!

1 - Are 'working' Goldens very different, energy-wise, from 'show' Goldens...?

2 - Would a 'working' Golden pup be happy and fulfilled as a pet, assuming the dog got plenty of stimulation and exercise once fully grown?

3 - Also, I read with interest on another site that working Goldens tend to be darker in colour than many show Goldens - does anyone know if this is true? Certainly all the ones I see *seem* to be the show type and they are white or cream and never anything else, but maybe that's just in my local area....!

Many thanks :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    There's a guy who walks at our local park who has a working type Golden and does nothing but moan that she's not as laid back as his previous Goldies (show type). He's no idea that she's working lines though, she's much more energetic than a show type. She actually reminds me of a working springer in temperament. Lovely dog, smaller and lighter boned than show type. Shame she doesn't have an owner who understands her needs.

Cream seems to have come into fashion with Goldies in recent years. I am biased because I grew up with a Golden and he really was golden in colour, so the creams don't do it for me. Working lines will just be selected for their ability in the field so are more likely to be standard colours I should think.
  4. tink

tink New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    Cazzy on here has Goldens (she lives in sweden though but is from the UK) She's show's both of hers but i'm sure her male is from working & show lines and i think theyre doing more with him on the working side of things.Might be worth PM'ing her :grin:
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Yes most Goldies tend to be darker than the show ones but not always, Ann Wright who breeds Carishill dogs which do very well in Field and Working Trials, are not particularly dark.
  6. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I know a breeder of working Goldies who lives near me, and consequently we have a lot of their offspring living nearby too.

1. Yes and no. They are not dissimilar to working type Labs in this respect -- you get the high energy, always on the move ones but equally you get the more laid back ones. One of the male working Goldies I know is quite possibly one of the laziest dogs I know, however, his litter sister gives my mad dog Bo a run for her money when out and about.

2. Absolutely. I find them to be more sensitive and laid back than Labs generally. Two people I know with working type Goldies are first-time dog owners and have had no trouble with the dogs whatsover.

3. The working ones I know range from the 'traditional' mid Gold colour to a deep rich red. I have not seen a working type in the light, almost white colour that is popular with show type Goldies.
  7. talassie

talassie New Member

Name:
    Irena
    This is Maisie

[​IMG]

One year old from working lines.

She has lots of energy and loves to run but she's not ott and settles well at home. If she can't get out for a run occasionally for any reason she accepts that. She enjoys her training and she's a cuddle bug.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
  8. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Thanks so much guys!

Very helpful, and interesting to confirm that a pup from working lines can be fulfilled as a pet and won't necessarily be totally frenetic.

Although I'm hoping to get a GSD in a year, I'm starting now to look at breeders of working Goldens also, as this is a breed I really like and one that I think would be a great fit with Dexter.

TALASSIE - thanks so much for the pic, your girl is gorgeous!
  9. marianne38

marianne38 New Member

Name:
    marianne morris
    My friend has a very dark golden retriever but she calls it an american golden retriever.

She is the same age as my golden retriever about the same energy levels, but very clever, she knows all her commands in 2 languages as my friend is Spanish.

I meet all sorts of goldies some dash around- like mine , others plod around.

They are generally laid back, my puppy bites my Goldie all day long but the Goldie doesn,t tell her off, unless the puppy bits his tail.The puppy even goes up and takes toys out of his mouth. He just lets her.

Maisie you are gorgeous
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
  10. kammi_sparky123

kammi_sparky123 New Member

Name:
    *stalks this thread*

:lol:
  11. big paul

big paul New Member

Name:
    PAUL
    heres willow she is from working lines.
    [​IMG]
    sorry im a bit late with this thread
  12. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Wow, what a stunner. Definitely on my want list!

Helen
  13. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Beautiful Goldens!

I have a friend with a working Golden and he is gorgeous. She is training him for working trials, but I think he could equally make a great active pet.

Here are a couple of pics ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]