Have Cavies ever worked? Discussions

Discussion in 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' started by Toby.mai, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Toby.mai

Toby.mai

Name:
    Mai

Have Cavies ever worked?

Hi guys,

Haven't posted on here since my Toby was tiiiiny my internets been stupid lol.

Just a quicky, have cavalier king Charles spaniels ever 'worked'?

My boy is very athletic looking and tall compaired to any other cavs I have seen.

Just wondering if there's any reason really.

Thanks xx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I thought you were referring to guinea pigs! :blush:
  4. Toby.mai

Toby.mai

Name:
    Mai
    Haha no, maybe I should have just said cavs lol. X
  5. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    I thought piggies too :)

I believe they were bred as Royal companions - I guess that's a job!!!
  6. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    From what i've just read, a long time ago the Bleinhems were used for hunting but I think todays dogs would be far removed from those.
  7. Toby.mai

Toby.mai

Name:
    Mai
    Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid. - Blenheim is a colour yes? How can colour dictate if they hunt?

Toby has a 'hunting' instinct and a huge drive to chase!
    X
  8. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    From what I can gather, the Bleinhems (red and white) were the dogs used for hunting by John Churchill and named after his estate. Some of the them were crossed with toy spaniels and other colours were created. At the time, there were lots of spaniel types about but most were just companions and then in the 1920's the breed standard was drawn up for Cavs.

So I would say no, as a breed they were never worked but i'm only going off info i've read, I know nothing about the breed generally.
  9. kobi

kobi New Member

Name:
    Dave
    I think used for woodcock in USA
  10. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Depends what you mean by worked, they are competed with successfully in Working Trials, Obedience, HWTM and Agility etc.
  11. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    There is a shoot in Northern England that still uses Cavaliers on Woodcock-a friend of mine when on one of their shoots & was amazed-the owner of the shoot had a"pack"of all the colours.

John Churchill had very close links to the Royal family & on his Blenheim Estate they bred small Red & White spaniels-they worked outdoors & also indoors killing mice etc in the bedchambers.

He gave some spaniels to the Royal family & they were bred with the "Royal"spaniels which were black/tan or "ruby"-from which crossbreeding the 4 colours emerged.

Sadly during the Victorian era the fashion amongst the Royals & the court was for small dogs that looked more human with shorter muzzles & this is when the King Charles Spaniels(as they were then known)became short muzzled.

All the paintings of King Charles Spaniels before the 19th Century portrayed them as have a muzzle the same length as some of the modern Cavaliers.

My Joedee was a hunter & could often be found mousing with the cats as well as "setting"at the wild birds in the garden
  12. Toby.mai

Toby.mai

Name:
    Mai
    Thanks, that's really interesting :)
  13. Toby.mai

Toby.mai

Name:
    Mai
    Ooh I just found this online....

'Fact 2 - Origin of the breed: Cavalier King Charles Spaniels originated in England during the 1600's and were originally bred for startling, or flushing, birds from their cover'

That's exactly what he does lol
  14. twilightwolf

twilightwolf New Member

Name:
    Lone Wolf

That's really interesting! I never knew that.
  15. Hanlou

Hanlou New Member

Name:
    Han
    "Uh, no, I'm not really built for work!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist! :lol:

Found the information interesting though. My sister used to have one - he was of the very small, very noisy and not-particularly-intelligent variety though.
  16. Lesley334

Lesley334 New Member

Name:
    LESLEY
    Azz likes this.
    We have had three Cavaliers over the years.

People used to say that they weren't very intelligent, but I know this is so untrue. Our first one competed in Agiltiy. She was second in the National YKC Triathlon competition at Crufts (Obedience, Showing @ Agility) representing the South East Region, the biggest in the country. She took part in "terrier" racing for fun as she loved the chase, as well as tracking and retrieving items. If we were out and she heard something she would "point". So I would think there is something in their past that would suggest that they have been working dogs.

Our second, competed in obedience and agility.

Our third is only eight months old so is yet to find her forte.

These dogs are very special. They have such lovely natures and are great companions, but at the same time are game for anything you ask of them.
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Ann Trodd's Billy qualified CD Ex in Working Trials this winter. There have been others in the past but it's been a while...............