Calling all fellow Lab owners! Controversial

Discussion in 'Labrador Retriever' started by TabithaJ, Jan 3, 2012.

1. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Calling all fellow Lab owners!

Lately I've heard what seem to me rather disparaging comments about Labs, both in 'real life' and also on some forums.

Maybe I'm being slightly over sensitive??? in which case I know you'll tell me :mrgreen:

Several people who already have dogs (not Labs) have been telling me they plan to get second dogs. When I asked which breed, three of them (independently of each other) told me they 'loved' Labs but won't get one "because everyone has Labs" and "they are boring, as the whole world and his brother have one" . One woman at a local park told me that "Labs are plain, just not interesting" - this, as my own lovely Lab is stood there right beside us :009:

Guess I just went away from these encounters musing that Labs are so popular because they are - if typical - lovely natured and such good fun :mrgreen:

Also:

I've noticed when looking at sites belonging to breeders of other dogs, not Labs, that there are remarks made such as 'If you want an easy dog - get a Lab!', the implication almost being that Labs can be, I don't know, simplistic, compared to 'more complicated' breeds.......?

I've seen remarks like these on websites belonging to at least three breeders.

Just wondered what you think? It's interesting that - correct me if I'm wrong please - GSDs are more popular worldwide than Labs, yet I've never heard anyone remark that this breed is 'too common' etc!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I don't think GSD's are more popular than Labs worldwide?

I suppose the people you are talking about are right in a way. They are common and it does seem that everyone has them. There is something nice about having a more unique and less common breed as it is bit different -- you don't really get that with Labs.

As for being plain, well, I suppose in comparison to a lot of other breeds they are quite plain to look at. However, that 'no frills attached' look is one reason that many ARE attracted to them. I also think the average person has a poor perception of what a well bred Lab SHOULD look like. There are so many poorly bred Labs that your generic pet bred Lab is pretty unremarkable looking. I hate to say it but I do see a lot of Labs that I think are unattractive, but then I am quite biased as mine is well bred with a nice head, correct coat, size, etc., something many pet bred dogs lack.

Personality wise they should never be "boring". But again, it depends on what you define as "boring". Is "boring" always a bad thing? I suppose if you compared my Lab to my Slovak, my Lab is a bit boring in comparison. My Slovak is always full of energy, is a real clown, uses all sorts of vocalizations which are amusing, is always up for anything and is generally what I would call a 'fun' dog. My Lab, by comparison, takes life at a slower pace and is much more easy going and laid back. In your average household for your average family pet, the more "boring" laid back dog is probably a much better fit than the hyper more "fun" one.

The average dog owner probably doesn't want a dog that always on the go like my "fun" dog, which is why laid back Labs are so popular. That doesn't mean to say they aren't "fun" in other ways though -- obviously they are all different. :)

Also, I think they are easy dogs when they properly bred. There is a reason they are so popular and the more demanding breeds are not. They have (or should have) a combination of traits that make them 'easier' as a breed than many others -- biddable, steady, intelligent, adaptable, easy going & laid back, fearless, non-aggressive, responsive, gentle. There are not many breeds that possess all the traits that a properly bred Lab should have and for that reason they owe their popularity.
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Not sure what you are getting het up about?

The reason why labradors are so popular is because they are so versatile and biddable.

If they were not, then they would not be used in so many fields.

The are used for aniffer dogs in any capacity you care to choose including not just drugs, money, phones, firearms, but seals and medical alert dogs.

They many many WT Champions, FT Champions, Sh Ch Champions and Champions.

And of course a wide range of assistance dogs.

What is the problem?

I could understand it if you had a dog which was on the vulnerable breeds list and you thought it was the best breed since sliced bread, but that is not the case is it?

You have to accept that people always want to be "different", are attracted to the novel (hence the reason for all the designer breeds).

What do you care what other people think anyway?

Labs are easy going (you cannot put all breeds in the back of a landrover on a shoot without issues), biddable, full of energy and a great companion.

What more could you want from a dog?

They are not MY cup of tea but so what!? :017:

Not sure where you got the info that says GSDs are the most common dog (I am sure you mean popular) ;) in the world?
  5. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    I wouldn't get upset about the comments. I'd think they were great because it would confirm that my choice of breed was not only popular but one that's so nice that people can't quite believe how much fun they can be to own

Take all the comments as a positive - I would :)
  6. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I could say the same thing about people who say they love border collies but could never own one because they havent got the time/commitment/energy/experience etc for such a high drive, energetic dog. Try telling my 2 they should be high drive and energetic...

It's all down to personal choice isnt it? Not everybody needs or desires the same thing. Labs are a breed I would never own (I knew somebody who called them Labrabores and on many levels I agree with her) because IMO, they are pretty unremarkable to look at and yes, i'm afraid, too common but I make no bones about the fact a dogs look are important to me.

It's horses for courses - as long as you are happy owning a Lab then what does it matter?
  7. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    I own a dog from one of, if not the most popular of the hpr breeds (GSP) but like others have said what I've found is popular / common often means the breed is very versatile and/or there are many different types within the same breed so they suit many different people / jobs :)

Sophie
  8. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I for one, have made the comments you have said.

To me labs are gorgeous dogs, biddable and loveable and of course versatile, but they don't have the appeal for me; as everyone has had one, has one, knows someone with one, seen one.. etc.

And I own 2 dogs with either part or half lab (Benjie and Louie)

But then my favourite breeds are probably boring to others. Personal preference really I suppose.

You just have to adopt the attitude "Well thats your opinion" ;)
  9. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Just to clarify, I don't remember you ever saying anything negative and my post was in no way aimed at you :)

Thanks for all your comments guys - I fully accept that I was being over sensitive! I think it was just that all the comments I heard came within a very short space of time!

LOL - not sure my own Lab is 'typical' of the breed then, since he's extremely vocal and not remotely laid back :mrgreen:
  10. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    If I thought it was aimed at me, my response would have been different ;) :)

Everyone gets a bit sensitive sometimes - we're only human afterall ;)
  11. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I think it is just because they are so popular-you do see a lot of them about! Then they are popular for a reason-they are trainable and very good-natured (well, most of them!).

I read about terriers being feisty and stubborn and my 2 aren't at all! Both Parker and Izzy are very good with other dogs and trainable. If I believed what the literature said about my breed they would both be stuck on leads the rest of their life and I would not bother training them to do anything as I would think it was a waste of time and effort!
  12. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

:grin: :grin: :grin:
  13. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    I have said all of the key remarks you've said in you OP. And then I took it all back after getting Woody! :lol:

Black Labs were the dog of choice when I lived in the country. They all seemed to be very much fresh out of the jelly mould and didn't appear to have any personality. Turns out they were just very well trained and therefore well mannered gundogs!

I love Labs and until you own one I don't think you truly know what a fabulous breed they are. My parents have just got their second yellow Lab and he's a smasher, just like their first one! :mrgreen:
  14. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    I hate to say it but I think working bred Labs are easier as pups than many show/pet bred Labs, just by going on how people post after getting their pup, but then that could also be down to the level of their experience in owning a pup/dog.

I hate the colourism that's appearing, chocolate Labs have been looked down on for a long time by anyone except those wanting the most popular colour pet ones, and so they've been puppy farmed to death. Now fox reds are the next best things (read the KC registration and it will say 'yellow') they're already being churned out. I can't count the amount of times I've been told my two are untrainable, boisterous, stupid and have no ability!

I mean, just look at my unruly girl during steadiness training......

[​IMG]

Having said that, I think this joint recall shows a little bit of their true nature possibly shining through .......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:lol:
  15. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    :lol: fab pic Tarimoor!!

I have said to people, on many occasions, that I don't particularly like spaniels. I even say it in front of the two spaniels!!! :shock:
  16. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    TARIMOOR, those pics are really gorgeous :) Lovely girls :)
  17. sarah1983

sarah1983 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    Well I can live with the "fact" that my dog is unremarkable, common and boring :lol: I have to admit, Labrador wasn't my first choice but when Spencer came up I sat there thinking about it and generally the breed meets all my requirements. They don't require much in the way of grooming, are generally friendly, intelligent and work well with people. When I think of a Lab though I think of a big fat footstool of a dog waddling along :blush: A Flabrador my friend calls them.

Oddly enough, I've had a few people comment that Labs are stupid :017:
  18. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I didn't want a Springer or a lab - now I have them both rolled into one :lol: And I wouldn't mind another either.. :lol:
  19. samson13

samson13 New Member

Name:
    Colin
    It's their popularity that leads people to think that they are boring etc.

We know the truth don't we ?
  20. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    There arent that many Labs near me, about 3 yellow ones & 1 chocolate within half mile, a few blacks a bit further away, out of them all the one I prefer is Majik the chocolate one not for his colour but his personality - hes so silly at times and to get my GSD to play with him he bites his front legs - the pair of them together are realy silly, the blacks near me appear to be windy along with 1 of the yellow ones
  21. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    I agree with Smokey Bear, I have a lab and I know that they are 'common' (I'd like to think 'popular') but I really don't care. They are everything I want in a dog. Energetic, eager to learn, they do have an off switch, friendly but not too demanding etc etc. I intend to get a working lab as my next dog, regardless of how many other people have them. I got a HWV because I wanted a dog that was different from a Lab and as much as I love her, it's a Lab again for me next time! Who cares what others think, life's too short :)