Give me the dirty on Cavalier ownership! General Chat

Discussion in 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' started by fiwen30, Jan 6, 2012.

1. fiwen30

fiwen30 New Member

Name:
    Kendal

Give me the dirty on Cavalier ownership!

So after a great deal of thought and research, I've decided I'd like my first dog to be a CKCS!

However, there's a big difference between fact sheets or breed profiles and real life, so to make sure, I'd love to hear from the owners of these gorgeous dogs - what's it really like living with a Cavalier? No need to sugar-coat, I want to know what I'm in for!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    They are lovely dogs but the hard work starts here finding a breeder who FULLY health tests.

You are probably best with a show breeder as they are more likely to fully health test - MRI, eyes, heart, hips etc etc

Some do like to be smelly .... I know one who doesn't consider a walk worthwhile unless he has eaten cow poo and rolled in fox poo!!!

I like them very much (when clean LOL)
  4. Nikki

Nikki New Member

Name:
    nikki
    I have a ckcs :grin:

Mine is extremely cheeky, fun, very affectinate, he is awesome :) Loves getting extremely muddy:lol: Goes out white comes back black :rolleyes: He loves other dogs and hasn't the ounce of nastiness in him.

I would definalty recommend finding a breeder who does all the health checks possible though as they prone to certain problems. I was worried when I took on Max as i'm his fourth home as i didn't know what his health would be like so I had him vet checked and all clear for now :)

Nearly every other ckcs we've met has been overweight so they are prone as they love food. As long as the food controlled then is should be a problem. Though I have the opposite problem keeping weight on max as hes on the go all the time.

I would recommend the breed to anyone though as long as the research is done.
  5. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    My dad had one - a smashing little dog - friendly, always up for a game, loved squirrel-chasing. She was dreadfully indulged and kept getting too fat ( then I`d look after her for a while to sort it). Her heart gave out, sadly, so make sure your pup is health-tested.

[​IMG]
  6. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    Health testing does not garantee a dog wont get age related problems that can cost a fortune but it does mean you will have a healthy dog for as long as possible if you buy from a good pedigree breeder who does all the health tests.

A good dog can be expensive but worth every penny you don't want to go down the route of byb or pet stores.

Never get a cheap pup in this day and age you get what you pay for, if a pedigree is too pricey try a rescue but without knowing its background their will be no garantee of temperment and health checks.
  7. kobi

kobi New Member

Name:
    Dave
    Took a rescue last time.
    Only had him for a year as he had an enlarged heart.
    He was also a biter.
    Do anything with him outside, groom etc.
    Indoors he was a food guarder and very hand shy , snap biting if you touched the wrong area.
    A really funny mix of issues.

2 earlier dogs from breeders lived to 12 years.
  8. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    I would say that snappiness is very unusual in the breed. They tend to have wonderful temperaments, although they can be noisy, but training can sort that.
  9. Nikki

Nikki New Member

Name:
    nikki
    My max did his first ever bark last night at his first training class so they can be quiet ;-) Though he does cry quite a but if he gets excited :grin:
  10. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    The ones I have met have been lovely little dogs. One of my favourite breeds if I could have a moulting sort of dog (asthmatic). You do have to watch the weight though as someone has already commented. The one we used to meet regularly was obese and very upsetting to see.
  11. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    cr*p handling from his previous owners was probably to blame for the snappyness thats the problem with rescues you can never garantee temperment or health because you don't know their past. Caverliers have wonderfull temperments as well as the king charles.
  12. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    I <3 my boy.

He's 13 and still holds his own on walks!
    He is a bit food possessive, but he'd never bite, he's just a very food oriented dog.
    He prefers people to dogs, loves attention and all people. SAINT with children. He's had toddlers using him as a walking aid and never batted an eyelid.
    Happy to go on long walks or for a 20 min stroll, never gets stressy.
    SO easy to train.
    Never shredded furtature/post or chewed shoes.
    Only thing is the layer of white fur he leaves everywhere! That's honesty their only downside. LOVELY little dogs.
  13. Irene B

Irene B New Member

Name:
    Irene
    Hi I am writing this one handed cos my little bundle of joy is fast asleep on my arm lol as long as you find a reputable breeder who has all the health checks you cant go wrong with a cav they are I think one of the friendliest breeds around and they seem to recognise each other mine is as soft as anything.
  14. EllesBelles

EllesBelles New Member

Name:
    Elle
    Just keep the health conditions in mind.

I've had two of my own, who both got heart failure, and lived to 12 years old. They were from separate breeders who both health-checked.

I've also fostered six, all who have had stringomyelia or heart conditions, because the owners couldn't cope with seeing their dog in that condition, or couldn't afford the treatments.

They are darling dogs, and I love them dearly, but I wouldn't get another because of the health problems. If you didn't watch the Pedigree show a few days ago, they were covered in that due to the huge amount of health issues in the breed.
  15. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    My favourite breed of dog. I would not get another though because I'd dread the day the heart problems set in. I've seen a few who could hardly breathe as they walked.

I know now I was lucky that mine did not get it at all until she was eight yrs old and did not require any medication or show symptoms until she was 10. She then went downhill very quickly and died a few weeks later.

It is HIGHLY unusual to come across an aggressive one. The breed is said to have no agression at all, doesn't even defend itself. That dog must have had some big problems.

If I was advising someone about them, apart from the health issues, I would say they are NOT suitable pets for someone who will be away from home for too long at a time. They are often called the 'happy both ends' dogs, tail never stops wagging the whole time they are awake and they look 'smiley' too. But they can soon become whiney and a bit neurotic if left alone too much.

They are companion dogs and I wouldn't have chosen one if I was not going to be home with it. I got to the stage (by gradually increasing the time away) that I could happily leave her for say 4 hrs or so if I'd just walked her (especially as she got older and slept more). But she was never happy to be left and always behaved as if you'd left her for six months when you returned!
  16. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Just to entice you - a few of Charlie Girl when a puppy and a bit older

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last one taken just weeks before she died. She was the right size for a cavvy. The breed seems to be getting bigger. And she was never overweight.
  17. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    I've never met one that had a bad bone in it's body. Lovely little dogs that are idea for pet ownership. Easy going and fun to have around.

However, health issue abound in this breed so, as others have advised, be careful where you buy from
  18. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    In my experience, they are a wondeful little breed and all I have met have had fabulous temperaments. It's just the potential health issues that make me very sad :cry:
  19. theo&milly

theo&milly

Name:
    Theo&Milly
    I have a 9 week old ckcs puppy and this is my first dog too. He's a tricolour male and the sweetest little thing. He's hard work the way every puppy is regardless of breed but he's adorable friendly and playful. His mum had a fantastic temperament and even allowed me to pick him up in front of her with no problems. I got mine from an approved breeder who only breeds when he needs a new show dog. All health checked etc on both parents and grandparents etc. This doesn't mean that there wont be health issues later but at least I have the dog I want from a reputable man who first and foremost loves his dogs and who wasny in it for the money. I had to apply for a puppy and sat an interview first. I love my dog and don't know why I didnt get a ckcs sooner! But bear in mind if u get a puppy you have to train it and thus is time consuming and extremely hard work but it will be definitelu worth it when you see how much your dog loves interacting with you and hoe happy they are to just be with you.
  20. Alfie's Mum

Alfie's Mum New Member

Name:
    Alfie's Mum
    I have a CKCS Alfie who was 5 in June, he is an absolute joy, he follows me everywhere, he loves walks, barking at big dogs was a problem, he did try to hump my Grandaughter so we had to have him castrted and had him chipped at the same time. He loves lounging around and snores like a trooper. He doesnt like his ears messed with but the groomer knows this and is really good with him. One thing (and not sure if it a common with Cavvies) he is greedy and follows the Grandchildren round because he knows the drop food, I remove him from the room if he tries to jump up. He is a good traveller and loves the car.
    He is a beautiful companion and I would not be without him, I wanted a dog for so many years but whilst working I decided it wouldnt be right so as soon as I became a stay at home Grandmother(my 6 year old Grandighter lives with us for the time being) I knew I could devote more time to a dog, Emily is 6 and she loves her furry friend, they share the chair, bed,cuddles and play football together. I would recommend this breed to anyone.
    :grin: Alfie's Mum x