CKCS nose pigment Questions

Discussion in 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' started by SLB, Jan 22, 2012.

1. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee

CKCS nose pigment

[​IMG]

I met this 12 week old CKC today and asked about her nose - well it was what drew me in actually. The owner said that the vet said it would stay like that, yet her breeder said it would turn black as she grew.

I've never met a pedigree with a freckled nose..
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. twix

twix New Member

Name:
    twix
    I had a litter of GSDs born all black with pink noses and nails, they looked like aliens! It should go black in time.
  4. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Its referred to as by some as 'butterfly nose' and is a lack of pigment. It will not go black.
  5. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I've seen it in crosses, but never pedigrees.. it just made me wonder - tbh I'd not have any problems with it, made her pretty special :D
  6. twix

twix New Member

Name:
    twix
    It might depend on the breed but I had a pup with 3 black stripes on a pink nose which finally went black when he was 10 months old. He was a late developer in other ways, one testicle didnt drop until he was 10 months either.
  7. Moli

Moli New Member

Name:
    pat
    Maggies nose was speckled like that when I got her...It has turned all black now...
  8. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie

In most puppies the nose will slowly colour in, unless it is a pigment issue or a breed known for such noses - I'd expect it to colour up in that pup
  9. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    My mum's collie had a pinky speckled nose as a young pup. It's black now but inside his nostrils you can see pink if you look closely.
  10. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    Jake had a very pink nose when he was a pup, but now it is black with just random specks of pink :lol: I would think most likely it will go black as the dog gets older, but I do think it is a wait and see kind of thing.
  11. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I know - I saw her nose and thought about Jake :lol:
  12. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    :lol: :lol: :lol: I just loved his big black spot smack in the middle of his nose :mrgreen:

When I picked him out of the litter, the SSPCA woman told another SSPCA woman which one to go get, and she said 'the one with the pink nose, and big black spot'... It must have been a toss up between him being the only one with a pink nose, and the only one with a curly piggy tail :lol: :lol: I really thought the tail would win :mrgreen:
  13. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    My only experience of this is in Northern Inuits and from my experience it tends not to correct itself. Maybe its just the mix.
  14. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie

Must be - which is bizarre in itself as the creator breeds tend to be the other way :)

The weirdness of dogs :)
  15. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Well depends on what you consider the creator breeds to be I suppose! ;-)
  16. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    My Boxer's nose was like that as a pup totally coloured by the time he was shown:)
  17. mac82

mac82 New Member

Name:
    mac82
    no happens loads with ckc's mallys huskies, have heard it called 'snow nose' before now. two boxers at training had pink spots and collies have them as well, see it quite a bit in merles, just a lack of pigment, in some dogs it turns black in others it stays very pink and in others the pink bits shrink and black bits grow. hope thats helped? :)
  18. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Someone correct me if I am wrong but my understanding of 'snow nose' is a fading of colour only during the cold winter months and is something completely different to what is shown here which is either a permanent lack of pigment or a slow developing pigment.

A lot of people in the NI use the term 'snow nose' to describe the pink streaks many have but imo more often than not it is just poor/lack of pigmentation as many of them have it all year round.
  19. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    That's my understanding of snow nose too:)
  20. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    should go black in time eventually. ive seen a couple of cresteds with speckly noses when they are babies.
  21. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Most of my pups have at least a pink bit if nto more but it colours in as they grow.