Buying a blue staffy pup Discussions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by elaine cook, Jan 31, 2012.

1. elaine cook

elaine cook New Member

Name:
    elaine

Buying a blue staffy pup

I am looking to get a new staffy pup and would like a blue kc registered. But in my reasurch I have seen that you shouldn't breed to dilutes (blue being a dilute of black) as this can lead to skin problems in the pups. But talking to some of the breeders they don't seem to have heard this before? And there seem to be loads of pups bread from two blues so am I worrieing about nothing??
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Really sorry if you're fed up of being asked this but: have you thought of getting a rescue?

There are so many gorgeous Staffies crying out for caring owners :)

Just wondered :)
  4. EllesBelles

EllesBelles New Member

Name:
    Elle
    Are you buying your puppy to breed from again, or as a pet?

(Just so it's easier to advise!)
  5. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Blues are a result of a dilute gene,it is recessive and can cause problems,skin and coat problems, CDA, and auto immune issues.

I personally would like to see a ban on blue to blue matings as it increases the chance of issues because you are doubling up on the gene that is responsible.
  6. elaine cook

elaine cook New Member

Name:
    elaine
    Sal, that is what I have heard but no one I talk to seems to think its a problem? Just looking for a pet but I am interested in showing so that is something I am considering, I know blues don't do as well in shows as it is impossible for them to have a black nose ect, but it would just be for fun so that doesn't bother me. As for rescuing I have a rescue rottie who I love more than anything, but have no end of problems with due to her old life, so want a pup this time, thanks x
  7. Brundog

Brundog New Member

Name:
    Dani
    if the breeders you are speaking to are saying its not an issue I would avoid them as breeders.
    Your main concerns should be health testing and to ensure if you are adamant on a pup that its well bred, so L2 HGA/HC clear and from well tempered parents.

Blue dogs whilst lovely looking are still a staffie through and through and you get the same personality with a blue as you will with a brindle/white/tan/red/ or any other coloured !!!

BUt yes have you considered a rescue ? Staffies are being put to sleep in their hundreds every week through lack of good homes. There are lots of pup staffies coming in to rescue all the time cos the breeders cant get rid of them too...
  8. elaine cook

elaine cook New Member

Name:
    elaine
    Yes I know I don't need to hear about rescues as I said I have a rescue rotty and I have a rescue red staffy, so think its alright for me just Toby a pup this time! And yes Iv only spoken to breeders who do all the health checks and are on websites like champ dogs. I know all about the breed slandered of staffys as befor we rescued sonny I reasurched the breed. I was just a bit confused when I had read about the problems caused by breeding dilutes but then there are loads of breeders doing it that don't seem to think it a problem?
  9. elaine cook

elaine cook New Member

Name:
    elaine
    *buy a pup! Not Toby stupid predictive txt! Lol
  10. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    everyone knows about the breed slandered of staffys :lol:
  11. elaine cook

elaine cook New Member

Name:
    elaine
    Haha, iPads are a nightmare! Lol :)
  12. Brundog

Brundog New Member

Name:
    Dani
    and what my point is that if they are saying that then regardless of whether they are KC reg or on champ dogs or whatever they should be avoided.

Not saying you shouldn't buy a pup by the way just whether you had considered a rescue thats all. You have now answered.
  13. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Agree with Dani :)

Breeders that will not acknowledge problems are breeders to be avoided.
    Also just to add to the health testing along with been tested for L2/HC,they should also be screened for PHPV.
  14. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    There are lots of Staffie pups in rescues at the mo Elaine - I'd definitely keep a eye out if I were you, I've seen some really cute pups lately :)

Look at this stunner:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

video
    [​IMG]

Panton Kennels - Tel: 01673 858622
  15. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    i have 4 month old white and black staffy pup for rehoming, im fostering for bullies SOS
  16. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Surely, if the OP wants a puppy from well bred parents, she shouldnt be bullied into having a rescue dog of any age she doesnt want. Not going into the "blue" thing, but its really gets on your wick when you are told what to buy!
  17. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    With regard to "the blue thing", as said before it is a recessive gene meaning any Blue Staff has two Dilution genes, one from each parent.

This is the same whether or not both its parents were Blue, or normal-coloured carriers of Blue.

Breeding blue to blue doesn't increase the amount of blue gene they have - it is still one gene from each parent - but it does increase the number of Blue puppies born! (Blue to Blue equals a whole litter of Blues).

However, as many Staffies that are bred this way are produced by less than conscientious breeders, they may well have additional health issues to boot.

Staffy breeders who have the interests of the breed at heart actively avoid breeding Blues if they can. If as sometimes happens, one pops up, they would sell it as a pet with breeding restrictions.

While I think the colour is very attractive, if I wanted a healthy well-bred Staffy I would actively avoid buying a Blue, simply because most of them are not born for the right reasons. A rescue Blue I might take, but I'd be prepared for health issues to crop up in the future.

Colour Dilution Alopecia [CDA] affects a lot of dilute coloured dogs with the Blue gene, including blue and fawn Dobermanns, and Staffies as well. Although it just means the dog will have bald patches throughout its life, personally I'd rather have a dog of another colour that looked a lot healthier and better with the full coat it was meant to have... and would not willingly line the pockets of a breeder who was intent on breeding them regardless.
  18. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    Telling or suggesting? When you are promoting your boarding kennels is that telling or suggesting?
  19. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Considering I have never ever 'promoted' the kennels in any way shape or form, your post is irelevant. They are not 'mine' either and ee dont need to promote. ;)

People get sick of being told they should consider a rescue dog when they dont want one. If they did they wouldnt be asking about a well bred health tested pup.
  20. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    First paragraph: missed the point, twas an analogy.
    However, for appropriateness, edit my last post in your head to read "when the owner of the boarding kennels you are related to promotes their kennels thru the means by which they usually do (by which i dont mean dogsey)......."

Or choose promotional analogy of your choice.

Second paragraph: when you say "people" is that the royal we :mrgreen:

Azz and others have politely suggested some rescue dogs.
    And we are free to do so at any time in a respectful manner.
    People only have to say yes or no, im sure most adults can cope with all this Dawn:grin: .

And these dogs deserve just as many chances as any others.
    Therefore I will gladly do it again and again, no apologies from where I am sitting.
  21. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Its not just this thread though is it, its almost every one where somebody wants a pedigree puppy. This used to be a "bullbreed" site, its drifting towards a "rescue" site now. The more you push it the more you will drive people away.

Oh and we dont suggest anyone comes to us, we also do not encourage anyone to come. You are wrong, very wrong.