Buying a blue staffy pup Discussions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by elaine cook, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Zuluandnaomi

Zuluandnaomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    Spot on.....
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Lucys mum

Lucys mum New Member

Name:
    Diane
    PLEASE PLEASE get a rescue!!!!!
  4. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Well the KC breed record suppliment dropped through my door today.

It is official Blue is no longer rare infact if any colour is rare it is Black brindle.
  5. Luke

Luke New Member

And the above post reinforces the point Dawn was making which may I add is a view shared by many of us on Dogsey. I fail to see what is wrong with sourcing a well bred pup from a good breeder. Yes you have the argument of the breed being a high in rescue numerically, so are border collies, labs, german shepherds, rotties, many toy breeds lately, I don't see it as a valid argument point personally. If someone wishes to go down a puppy from a good breeder route, they shouldn't be made to feel guilty about it, I find it absolutely repuslive that it continues to happen tbf.
  6. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Do you have any figures for the amount of Blues registered compared to the other colour's.
  7. Brundog

Brundog New Member

Name:
    Dani
    and whilst i take your point Luke that there are high numbers of other dogs in rescues, staffies are the first dogs to be PTS before shepherds, collies and everything else. They will be first into that euthanasia room as they are the least rehomeable as no one wants them, so its a valid reason for us to push rescue when someone wants a staffie.

I don't find anything "repulsive" in that, I actually find it quite insulting that you think its unfair of us to suggest rescue when
    as a stafford owner we know exactly right this minute another staffie is being killed because it has no one that wants it.

The whole blue thing is even more disturbing because ultimately the breeders who breed for BLUE only are the absolutely wrong type of breeder that anyone should be buying from, yet you only have to google blue staffie and you will get loads of so called "breeders" with them available.

I dont understand why people get so flipping offended when rescue is mentioned. Its not like its being forced on them - just suggested especially when it comes to staffords and as long as I am on here I will continue to do the same and not feel bad for doing it. Quite honestly if it saves one more dog from death row then its worth it, IMO

There was a thread just a few days ago which although posted with the best of intentions high;lighting 2 collies who were in council pound kennels and only had 7 days before PTS, the OP also mentioned the 90% of the other dogs in the kennels being bull breeds. Now those collies were saved and not least probably down to a little bit of dogsey intervention but what of the 90% bull breeds left in there to die - who is fighting for them? Or are they more disposable? They certainly appear to be and whilst I am not having a go at the OP in any way I just feel very sad that they are barely mentioned, and that to try and push rescue at every opportunity for these dogs is seen as "repulsive"
  8. Luke

Luke New Member

But as has been pointed out, it isn't just this isolated occasion. If someone wanted a rescue I'm sure they would go down the route. I agree with you on the points raised about colour, but really find it hard to understand why posters are seemingly almost made to feel guilty or indirectly responsible for the problem, by not rescuing. Maybe that's just how I take it, but I would find it quite invasive personally.
  9. Brundog

Brundog New Member

Name:
    Dani
    BUT who is responsible for the problem?? NOt the dogs doing, if everyone CONSIDERED a rescue then at least there might be less in rescue, thats all thats being asked to consider it.

To be fair anyone reading the first post only would not know that this OP has already got two rescues so its not as simple as just stop suggesting rescue....

And if not then go the right way about a breeder but being specifically stuck on the colour blue is not the right way of finding the right breeder. You should be looking at the best, healthy optimal puppy from a respected breeder who does not OVErbreed not the colour first...
  10. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Just posted in breed chat. 786 blue or blue and white out of 1633 so that is 847 other colours

SBT now down to 8th over taken by Border terriers.
  11. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Wow so that's nearly 50% of Blue,good to see the reg numbers dropping,not so good to see the blue figures rising and the amount of unreg litters been advertised :-(
  12. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Well the KC says it can not fill the requests for well bred Black Brindle SBTs so puppy buyers go to the papers and get one there from Back street breeders and many not even KC reg no health tests and very little back up if any from the breeder.

If it carrys on like this the breed will be in serious trouble and a well bred Stafford will be like like the Dodo.

48% blues
  13. Luke

Luke New Member

I'm really not disputing a lot of what you've said, I'm also not disagreeing with a lot of it, I do agree the plight of the rescue bull breeds and in particular staffords is a very grim one with a very slim positive outcome. I do still feel though that some posters could just approach things in regards to rescue better, I think Dawn had a valid point that it is often the case that posters seem to feel guilty for wanting to go down the route of a good breeder. One that breeds specifically for colour not being that may I add. I do not disagree in any way that the rescue stafford situation is dire, nor that public awareness of this and the overall rescue situation is a bad thing, I just think it is often not exercised in the best areas.
    As a side note in summer the Coventry RSPCA branch had an entire litter of staffords in, no idea of their story but they were lovely. Whilst we were there (just looking) a family were turned down point blank as had a child that was very polite and apparently 6 years old. Many rescue policys seem to fall into a questionable status when they make it so difficult to rehome. I had a friend who went for a lurcher type from the Kenilworth dogs trust, and was turned down due to the fact they lived in a detached house in the centre of about half an acre of land, all with well fenced boundaries. Under the heading of "no actual back garden". Madness.
  14. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Totally agree,I am so glad I managed to point my friend in the right direction,trouble is you can only advise...

As the saying goes you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

It's so frustrating watching this wonderful breed been ruined and in so much trouble regarding rescue.

We sold a pup many yrs ago and they wanted to rehome him,we brought him back,yes we paid them to get him back.He lived with us while we sorted his issues and then rehomed to a close family friend where he spent the rest of his life.I offered the family his ped and registration docs but they refused,as he was only a pet,I still have them here.
  15. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Totally agree.

So dogs bred by you don't end up in resue and dogs bred by myself don't end up in rescue.
    Many people I know their dogs don't end up in rescue.
  16. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Completely agree , if I was looking for a puppy and someone said to me... Please, please get a rescue , there are so many in rescue, I am afraid they would get a short sharp response.

I f I want to rescues I will , if i want a puppy from a breeder I don't need to be made to feel guilty.......Because I don't!!
  17. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    I dont find that outlook to be a very evolved one, if i am honest.
    Calling it "repulsive" is way out of perspective.

As long as the person whom makes the suggestion does so in a respectful and considerate way, (the "post above" was inoffensive)then i see no issue nor cause for complaint just because one suggests rescue?"
    I will do this at any opportunity i come across, and cannot see why I should reproach myself for this?
    I have the right to ask, and the other person has the right to not follow my suggestion.

I will make this suggestion *because* i know their are hundreds and thousands of good suitable dogs wasting away in kennels, oftentimes (but not always) due to the neglect of man.
    Therefore, this man will gladly promote them because
    a) to do my bit to reverse the above
    b) they are deserving of being mentioned and considered and thus given a chance just like any other dogs

(In fact, at this time i would even go as far as saying there should be a complete moratorium on breeding staffies at all for a couple of years, so we can get back to a level where there isnt this massive surplus and poor breeding. But thats another thread)

I dont see this as any different, for example, if their were threads about food and people often suggesting people try fairtrade or organic or suchlike, based upon the ethics and social welfare of such an idea.

I feel if people cannot cope with others suggesting a rescue or fairtrade food or any other similar example, then surely that is any issue of their own, not mine?
    To me, it feels like if they do not wish such things to be mentioned in the first place, it must be due to 'out of sight out of mind'.
    I would never make what i regard as ethical suggestions just to make people 'feel guilty' (that is an immature way of looking at it), I would make what i regard as ethical suggestions to raise awareness of an issue.
    If they experience a wellpsring of "guilt" as a result of that, i would regard that as a healthy and mature expression of their own humanity.
    And one for them to process as part of character building.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2012
  18. MHADogs-UK

MHADogs-UK New Member

Name:
    MHADogsUK
    I personally would not a blue pup that came from 2 blue parents.

I have had many staffies over the years who have had blues in their lines but have not been blue pups.

I have owned pied, brindles and solid coloured staffies and never had a poorly dog.
    My friend has had blues and has big vet bills realting to eyes, nose/ ear infections, chest problems, joints, poorly guts etc and she wishes she hadnt bought from a 2 blue parent litter, now that she is wiser and knows more about dilutes.

We have both shown our dogs at fun and competative levels and it has always been my solids/brindles or pied dogs that do better.

My friend would only ever consider a blue again if it was one in a litter from coloured parents and professional licensed/registered breeders who do all the health checks and have them certified by vets etc.

Breeds who say it isnt an issue are wrong as they continue to wash out the good genes and will end up with a dud litter of ill dogs.

A lot of SBT rescues will not take solid blues in due to on going health bills for the people who rehome them and dont want o burden them with a potentially poorly dog.
  19. elaine cook

elaine cook New Member

Name:
    elaine
    After looking asking and learning we have decided a blue pup would not be best so are now looking for a red and white pied. And I have to say, after searching through adverts for puppy the last month or so there is n unbelievable amount of people breeding staffs that don't have a clue!!!!! So far Iv seen : "rare" red nosed staffys, champagne staffys, a tri coloured dog for stud, log legged, short legged, and Irish staffys!! And talking to them shocked me even more, one lady didn't even know what the health tests she had done on her dog where for. Another didn't even know they should be done! And nearly all of them didn't k ow what the COI of there litter was going to be, I worked it out or one man and it worked out at 30%!!! Im guessing I'm in the minority of Byers who do real resurch before buying so it saddens me to think these idiots are being paid for there stupidity.
  20. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Agree totally,these people have no right breeding.
  21. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Well done for doing your research I really wish more puppy buyers were like you.