Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Info Please General Chat

Discussion in 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' started by JamieWilson, Feb 14, 2012.

1. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson

Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Info Please

My Mum is looking at getting a small dog after having my cousin's Pug stay the week with her.
    She has been thinking about it for a while but this little visit has left her convinced it is what she wants.

Anyway she is looking at Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, I don't really know anything about the breed so can't say much to her.
    Anyone offer some insight to them?
    Also recommend any breeders? We are in the North West, she is currently looking at a breeder in Blackpool.

Cheers
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Gosh where to begin.

1. -both parents must be MRI scanned normal for SM(Sygringomyelia), have current clear heart & eye certificates(ie dated less than 12 months from the date of birth)
    2. -both parents must be over 2 1/2 years old & preferably the sire should be over 5 years of age
    3. -both parents must come from at least 5 generations of dogs with clear hearts & eyes over the age of 5 years
    4. -preferably both parents should have parents & G parents MRI scanned normal for SM
    5. -both parents & puppies must be KC registered(only way to check health checks like eyes & hearts)
    6. -see the mother with the puppies(sire usually will not be owned by breeder)
    7. Do not believe any breeder who tells you that their dogs are perfectly healthy because they are not KC registered-ALL breeding animals should be fully health tested-if you do not test you do not know, even unregistered dogs can be health tested
    8. -if the breeder doesn't ask you lots of indepth questions run 100 miles away from them
  4. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson
    Thanks for that, now as a breed what are they like?
  5. Nikki

Nikki New Member

Name:
    nikki
    They are fab little dogs, are just perfect in most homes.

My boy is a dream to own, he's will do anything for me, loves everyone and not one bit hard work. They are great with other dogs and love to play with humans and dogs alike!

They can cope with long walks or short walks, mainly happy to curl up on someones lap. They can be prone to getting overweight though my boys the opposite!

I highly recommend them but please make sure you research the breeder and they had all the health tests needed.
  6. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    I remember my mums friends CKC lovely little dog but hated being left on her own and would barkk

the groomer who grooms my dog has a CKC and she is just so sweet very much loves people, they are great characters but you really have to choose your breeder well as with any breed.

one of the breeds im possibly considering when I have a job and save up the money, cant make up my mind yet.
  7. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    They are very much a "people"dog & just love everyone they meet, they are also very gregarious with other dogs & can get a bit "in your face" for some dogs, but on the whole they are brilliant.
  8. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I grew up with one (little Buster) he was a fabulous family dog, very gentle around us kids and very tolerant of everything we must have annoyed him with. The ears took a lot of grooming, I remember that. We used to get stopped everywhere we went because of his looks. Would love another one becuase they are fantastic easy going dogs but the health issues are a concern. Our boy died aged 7 I think. I was very young when we owned him.
  9. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    Sweep is the paradigm of virtue.

They are really easy dogs to have around, very bidable, never seen sweep snap or growl in 14 years. We've never had any major health problems either, he's gone a bit blind, but hey he's 14!

He does prefer people to other dogs, though they seem to have some bizarre obsession with one from the same breed! I've never seen him be nasty with other dogs, just really disinterested, says hello, and wanders off.
  10. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Fabulous dogs, but you do need to ensure that you buy from an ethical breeder who has performed all the necessary health tests as there are many conditions that can affect the breed.

They are the ideal companion dog - very easy-going and delightful to have around
  11. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    LOLOLOL except when they snore !!!!!!
  12. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    That I have not forgotten. Sharing a caravan with Buster and my Dad was a nightmare!!!
  13. Nikki

Nikki New Member

Name:
    nikki
    Ah it's not just my cavalier that snores his head off then!
  14. Irene B

Irene B New Member

Name:
    Irene
    Mine is asleep on the sofa and is gently snoring not as loud as he used to. I do agree they are really lovely gorgeous dogs, they are not always small though Alfie is quite tall for a cav and they do seem recognise there own breed which can be really funny. As long as you go to reputable breeder who has done all the health checks they are the most easygoing of dogs. Mines tail only stops moving when he's asleep
  15. Nikki

Nikki New Member

Name:
    nikki

My boys the same he's really long legged for a cav :) he also recognises his own breed! Funny things aren't they :lol:
  16. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    haha another one who notices the same breed! Sweep ignores all other dogs, then sees another cav and just goes :007: haha!
  17. theo&milly

theo&milly

Name:
    Theo&Milly
    They are lovely dogs but be aware that you'll go through the usual puppy stage unless you adopt an adult. This means you're looking at months of toilet training, bite inhibition and a lot of training to get the well behaved dog at the end. I love my cav to bits but I'd never get another puppy as this was the most time consuming, frustrating and stressful time ever. It was worth it as I now have a beautiful boy but I would not go through it again. I'd adopt/rescue an adult or young dog instead.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  18. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka and Helidale like this.
    Reported
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Reported.