Border Terriers! New dog owner General Chat

Discussion in 'Border Terrier' started by Roofs, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Roofs

Roofs New Member

Name:
    Lots

Border Terriers! New dog owner

Hi,
    I’m new to the forum and new to dog ownership! We bought our first ever dog a week and a half ago, Rufus is (now) a 9 week old Border Terrier puppy, both OH and I are utterly smitten! As much as I love having a puppy I’m even more excited about having a ‘proper adult dog’ as we are yet to find a middle ground between manic and fast asleep!

I’m finding Border Terrier’s are very much a marmite type of dog, people either love them or think they’re mad but I have a fairly active life style being a horse owner so although we do work full time he will also be spending a lot of time out of the house exercising, although at the moment he seems to be quite cold outside in the mornings and not too happy about being out!

Anyway, this is my gorgeous puppy:
    [​IMG]

Would love to hear from other Border owners :D

Finally, I really like the idea of doing agility, he’s a very clever little dog and I think we’d both enjoy it, I know he’s too young to really start doing any ‘proper’ training but I just wondered if anyone else did agility with their Border’s and ideas of fun games we could play (that won’t stress young joints!). I’m going to try and get him on the waiting list for our local group as I think they are usually fully booked!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    What a sweetheart! I have 2 (mother Tarn and son Jim) nearly 4 years and 10 months.

They are such great little dogs with sooo much about them. I don't do agility but judging by my 2, I'm sure they could do it.

There are quite a few border owners on here.

Welcome to the board :D

Helen
  4. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    I have a 6 month old Border Terrier (Rosie)

Fantastic little madam with plenty of character, but still happy to cuddle up.

She certainly keeps us smiling :)
  5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Hello,
    I've just joined too and have yet to pick up our little Border - he will be 9.5 weeks on Saturday when we get him.
    Maybe we can be 'net puppy buddies? :lol:
  6. jenstina

jenstina New Member

Name:
    Tina
    Hello Roofs :)
    I've a nearly 5 year old blue and tan Border Terrier, Jennie.
    My OH used to do agility with her and they both had great fun, she was pretty good too.
    Your pup looks gorgeous, by the way, and I love the name Rufus.
  7. Pysces

Pysces New Member

Name:
    Emma
    :007: Aww, Rufus is a such a gorgeous boy!

(don't have a Border Terrier, but I do have a soft spot for them)
  8. Roofs

Roofs New Member

Name:
    Lots
    I have to admit to being utterly smitten with the breed, they are clever, athletic and very very clever!

Dragonfly, that is soooo exciting! What date was your born? Mine was the 15th January :D we must compare sizes because I'm convinced mines a short ar$e! :D

For those of you that have commented on the name, that was my OH's choice, he's named after the chap from 'Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure'! :D
  9. zoeyvonne

zoeyvonne New Member

Name:
    zoe
    For those of you that have commented on the name, that was my OH's choice, he's named after the chap from 'Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure'! :D[/QUOTE]

most excellent film but i thought it was after rufus hound :) very cute little pup :grin:
  10. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Don't know if it's any help, but at 9 weeks, Rosie weighed 3lb 3 oz.

They are all different, but I think the weight shows they are very, very tiny puppies (and a problem to see as you try to walk around the house without standing on 'em :) )
  11. Roofs

Roofs New Member

Name:
    Lots
    Especially if you have a visually impared OH!:mrgreen:

When he was weighed last monday he was 2.1... I can't remember if the vet weighed him in lbs or kg! He's back again next Monday so I'll write down what he weighs, we need to buy some scales at home I think!
  12. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Hi.
    I have 5 Borders. aged Almost 13, almost 10, 5, 2 and 5 and a half months.
  13. Roofs

Roofs New Member

Name:
    Lots
    Borderdawn I am VERY jealous! I simply must have some pictures please! :D
  14. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    You may regret saying that, but since you asked. ;-)

Tarn. Almost 13.
    [​IMG]

Breeze, almost 10.
    [​IMG]

Orey. (5)
    [​IMG]

Livvy. (2)
    [​IMG]

Aaron. (5mths)
    [​IMG]
  15. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I think Rufus is an excellent name too :grin: Have you taken any more photos yet? we'd love to see them.

I wanted to call ours Bertie or Otto but in a house with 4 children I was woefully out voted. So ours will be Teddy as it was the only one we could all agree on. His birthday was 17th January. The breeder says he was the smallest of the 5 when born, but is now the biggest! as he really loves his food apparently :lol: . I am hoping this means he'll be easily motivated by food when we get down to training :023:

Borderdawn, your dogs are adorable :007:
  16. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Thank you Dragonfly.
  17. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Really gorgeous Dawn! Put my scruffy two to shame! lol

Helen
  18. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Dawn, what colour is Breeze? she is very unusual, I don't think I've seen such a pale coat before. Teddy is quite pale but I think he's going to be a red grizzle
  19. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Breeze is a normal grizzle and tan like any other grizzle and tan. A lighter one thats all. We only have 4 colours in Borders.
    Red
    Grizzle and tan
    Blue and tan
    Wheaten.
    There has not been a true wheaten in around 30/40yrs. That colour is considered none existent in Borders now.

[​IMG]
    Breeze is NOT wheaten. She has black in her coat which makes her grizzle and tan.

Thanks for the nice comments Helen. Im sure yours are gorgeous too.
  20. Roofs

Roofs New Member

Name:
    Lots
    Borderdawn they're stunning! :D What lovely pictures, I can't get Rufus to stay still long enough for shots anywhere near as nice as that! I can't wait for his adult coat to come though it's getting rougher from his tail up and he's starting to sprout facial hair too! :D

Dragonfly, Rufus was born on the 15th! They're only two days apart :D
  21. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Stunning photos BorderDawn :grin: