Anyone have any experience with Otterhounds? General Chat

Discussion in 'Otterhound' started by tallulah0710, May 31, 2012.

1. tallulah0710

tallulah0710 New Member

Name:
    Clare

Anyone have any experience with Otterhounds?

Hi

We're thinking of adding a new dog to the clan in a year or so. OH wants an Otterhound. After researching the breed I think one would be fit our lifestyle and home. I've contacted a breeder who was going to get me in touch with an owner who is local but she didn't get back to me.

Just wondered if anyone owned an Otterhound and could give me personal experiences of living with the breed. I know there aren't many about just hoping maybe someone on here has one. :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    They smell something rotten, wet or dry. They are a life support system for their noses and they have ghastly hips.

They can find filthy, smelly water in the Sahara and are generally not safe off the lead.

Other than that, lovely............... :lol:
  4. tallulah0710

tallulah0710 New Member

Name:
    Clare
    the smell wouldn't matter too much! Can't be as bad as the rolled in fox poo smell :grin: .

So I should look into discovering tracking to put that nose to good use?

My only concern with them being a hound is our garden, we only have 4ft fencing...would this keep an Otterhound in? I'm guessing not likely! Garden is nearly a couple of acres all in, we sectioned off half of it for the dogs. I think this could be the real sticking point.
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    4ft fencing would not make me feel particularly secure with most breeds of dogs let alone an Otterhound. Tracking would be GREAT with an Otterhound.
  6. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    There is a bloke with two of them who lives near me. Gorgeous dogs, absolutely beautiful to look at.

I do not find they smell any more than a normal dog?

The two I know of are never let off lead. According to the owner they would be in the next county chasing a scent if he were to let them off as they have no recall whatsoever.

Lovely dogs but not one to have if you are interested in an off lead lifestyle or an obedience pro. ;)
  7. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass
    Otterhounds are large dogs, I wouldn't rely on 4 foot fencing, particularly not if an intriguing smell arose on the other side, and yes, they can be very smelly being quite dribbly and having lots of hair around their mouths.

Obedience is not generally their strong suit and they can sometimes be over keen on catching and despatching small(ish) furries.
  8. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    My favourite description of Otterhounds is:

They are a hard-work dog; some heavily coated breeds stay remarkably tidy - if they were people they could wear a white t-shirt all day and it would remain spotless. The Otterhound would be the person who spills coffee and marmalade over it almost at once, and then doesn't bother to pick the toast up from the floor. Their scenting instincts remain very strong so a secure garden is essential; exercise off the lead should be away from roads and livestock. If they do get a scent they will go and there will be little that can be done to stop them.
  9. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    Have to admit I dont like the smell either...sorry :grin:
  10. tallulah0710

tallulah0710 New Member

Name:
    Clare
    cheers for all the advice. as it wouldn't be for a couple of years that gives OH time to build a secure fenced off part of the garden. 4ft fencing is ok for my current dogs, 12 year old heinz 57, deaf and blind collie and a follow me everywhere cocker!

have to admit they wouldn't be my first choice (i'd love a gsd) but other half gets to pick our next dog, however as i do everything for the dogs i do get final say. :p. i've got used to having a dog that is easy to train and picks things up pretty quick, so again another sticking point.

lots to think about thanks
  11. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I think sometimes our vulnerable breeds are vulnerable for a reason.

Why not visit some shows / DD/CRUFTS , if its not for a few years and get some views from people who live with them.

It might put your OH off, but at least he will hear it from the horses mouth , so to speak, on the reality of living with one.
  12. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Good idea, and inhale deeply................ :)
  13. betsybrownstein

betsybrownstein New Member

Name:
    Fran
    I own an Otterhound and know several, they do not smell! i don't know where this has come from but if you groom and wash them they are fine. They don't malt and are very laid back. They are strong and can be hard work as puppies but all worth it in the end. They will follow their nose but that is what they are bred for. They were never bred to please man but to do a job. I know of some that happily walk off lead and some that you can't. They are GREAT fun and will make you laugh and I would never be without one.
  14. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    I know someone who owned two Otterhounds and they were both intensely friendly, literally to the point they were draped over me - which I don't mind!;-) :lol: :lol: They didn't whiff much either, but have heard they can.
    I also wanted one, they are a vulnerable breed, like my beloved English Setters, but unlike the ES, they have a small gene pool and usually have high hipscores.
    Good luck with your search, personally I think they are gorgeous!!:grin:
  15. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Well all the otterhounds I have ever met have ponged. :)

And I have met a fair few over the years......
  16. tallulah0710

tallulah0710 New Member

Name:
    Clare
    The breeder I spoke to holds open days to meet the breed and ask questions, but she's lives 4 hours away :-( Think it will be worth going though.

English Setters :007: yummy!!

I can't imagine an Otterhound will smell too bad, besides our next addition is going to be a pair of goats :lol: and they must be stinkier!!
  17. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    The males are. I used to take a male goat (entire) for walks and when I got on the bus, everyone moved away............... :)

Nothing can beat the aroma of a herd of 300+ goats (long hair) in the Middle East.

When I used to ride my Arab Stallion, he used to arch his neck and snap his nostrils and squeal when he smelled them (long before I saw them).

I used to try and hold my breath when we trotted past.

In the ME nothing is neutered!
  18. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass

I used to breed ferrets as a young teenager, that could have a similar effect on the bus. Soap didn't really seems to shift it.:lol:

Is that just males or females too?
  19. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    I do agree about the English setters, but they aren't always easy to get hold of nowadays...
    I am also jealous of you getting goats, as I would love a pair of pygmy ones!!:grin:
  20. Kanie

Kanie New Member

Name:
    Margaret
    I went mink hunting with a pack that included otterhounds many years ago and it was an amazing experience.

Have you spoken to the Breed Rescue people? They might be able to give you a few hints as to who the decent breeders are. From what I can gather there are 1 or 2 that ought to be avoided at all costs!

Not my choice as a pet, but if I had the chance to see a pack of them hunting.....
  21. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear

males and females.