Do you DM test??? Health

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Cheyenne, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie

Do you DM test???

I was just wondering how many NI breeders, or break away groups DM test BEFORE breeding?? Do they even know it IS a problem within the "breeds"??
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Hi, yes I have DM tested, but haven't heard it is a problem within our type. I do know it is showing up in the Czech crosses some are carriers (but i personally know of at least one that is being bred from, or was) some are clear and some have got it.
    I have got 2 clears so far, whew!!!
  4. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    I was hoping there were more people DM testing :cry:

Good for you tw!

Because it takes 2 carriers or a carrier and an affected to produce an affected, I havent got a problem with breeding from carriers when just starting out testing, so long as they are put to clears ONLY and only clear pups are bred from in the future, that way DM can be bred out and a breeder can still keep their line going, but i dont think carriers should be bred from on a ongoing basis.

If DM wasnt a problem in NI's then there shouldn't be any carriers, both of my NI's are/were carriers (I say were bacause my boy is sadly no longer with us)
  5. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    A few if not most of the Tamaskan breeders (at least the ones I've come across) have/are testing, don't think any are members on here though. It seems there might be a specific type of DM in GSDs, that the test won't identify, which would explain the apparent odd result, e.g a clear dog becoming symptomatic.
  6. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    That's interesting because I have never yet come across a Utonagan with DM, nor have I ever heard of one, and yet they are from the same beginnings. I do know some NI are being crossed with Czech, so would that be the case with the NI's that are coming up with DM?
    I co-own a blue GSD and a Shepalute, neither of the breeders of these dogs tested for DM, although the GSD breeder did at least hip score. All parents of both dogs are KC reg dogs so their history is at least traceable healthwise, but we thought it wise to start DM testing any new dogs being brought in to widen the gene pool and also to voluntarily DM test any dogs that were earmarked for the breeding programme in the future, as well as the mandatory hip/elbow, eyes and VWD tests. I find it incredible that lots of breeders of KC recognised breeds still do not hip score or health test.
    I do have issues with breeding from dogs that are DM carriers, because even if bred to a clear dog, half that litter is going to be carriers,and it only needs some numpty to breed from them and some poor puppy owners are going to be on the road to heartbreak because it will be highly unlikely they will be warned. Plus the dogs themselves will suffer needlessly when it could have been avoided by not breeding from the dog carrying DM
    The DM tests that we did were breed specific and GSD was included in that.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012
  7. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Some breeds don't have enough diversity, or it is prevalent enough, that removing carriers would be more deleterious than using them.
  8. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    My 2 NI's havent got cezh in them at all so no thats not the case.

We DM test the whole litter so we know if any of them are carriers and ensure they go to pet homes only, and yes we inform the puppy buyers too as, like you say, we dont want them to be bred from and producing affected pups and therefore causing suffering to both the pup/dog and its owners.
  9. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Yes, that is very true which is one reason we are using carriers at the moment as the gene pool is very shallow and inbred and it's just not possible to remove ALL the carriers of DM just yet.
  10. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    So you don't think anyone else should breed from a carrier, but you will yourself or have I got this wrong?
  11. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Read my 2nd post Abbie :grin:
  12. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    I did. Just seems the posts I quoted contradicted each other :shock:
  13. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    I dont see how?

We're trying to breed OUT DM so pups that are carriers are going into pet homes only, and only clears are being considered for the breeding program.
  14. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    Because you also said this:

Yes, that is very true which is one reason we are using carriers at the moment as the gene pool is very shallow and inbred and it's just not possible to remove ALL the carriers of DM just yet.
  15. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    I was talking about our older dogs in the program that are carriers from when we first started testing, who are being put to clear stud dogs, and then their pups are being tested and therefore breeding OUT DM although we will still carry on testing to be sure it doesn't crep back in.
  16. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Breeding out health problems doesnt happen over night, it takes several generations over a number of years, and lots of careful planning.
  17. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    I really hope it works Cheyenne. It was supposed to be there nearly 7 years ago as I was told at the time. Wonder how long it will really take!!!
  18. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Sorry tazer I missed this post.

I've not heard of this happening, I'll have a read up on it, thanks for letting me know :grin:
  19. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    A lot of things have changed since then, and some breeders are doing everything they can to breed out health problems, it's a shame not ALL breeders are doing the same :-(
  20. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Let us know if you find a reliable source for the claim, I'm struggling too. Still thought I'd mention it encase anyone knew any more about it..
    Apparently one GSD was found upon death to have DM but tested normal.
  21. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    How are you going to stop people breeding from carriers, you know yourself that they may well sign a contract and pay lip service to what you say to them, but there is always that one numpty, once they have that puppy, and 2 years down the line someone has a nice dog up the road that is the same breed, there will be no stopping them!!!! I am sick of seeing advs for 'Wolf x studs' that a) haven't got any wolf in them and b)when asked about health tests they say oh they are very healthy, and no they have no intention of laying out money for mandatory tests as they are family pets really - er well why are you wanting to breed them then.....:evil: