Border Terriers.... Colours and size? Questions

Discussion in 'Border Terrier' started by MarchHound, Sep 10, 2012.

1. MarchHound

MarchHound New Member

Name:
    Jeanna

Border Terriers.... Colours and size?

What colours do they come in and what size do they grow to?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Grizzle and tan, blue and tan, red and wheaten. No true wheatens exist though now.
    No size guide its weight. More important to size is being able to be spanned.
  4. MarchHound

MarchHound New Member

Name:
    Jeanna
    Oooh, do you have photos of those colours and what does spanned mean?
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Aaron.
    Darkish grizzle and tan.
    http://www.emblehope.co.uk/border-terriers/aaron/

Tarn.
    Darkish grizzle and tan.
    http://www.emblehope.co.uk/border-terriers/tarn/

Orey.
    Red grizzle and tan.
    http://www.emblehope.co.uk/border-terriers/orey/

Breeze.
    Light grizzle and tan.

http://www.emblehope.co.uk/border-terriers/breeze/
    Some very experienced exhibitors and breeders have said she is a wheaten, she is NOT a wheaten she has black in her body coat making her grizzle.

Livvy.
    Blue and tan.
    http://www.emblehope.co.uk/border-terriers/livvy/

The dark/light is just a guide for you. The standard colour is just grizzle and tan. I do not own a true red, but here is a picture of one for you.
    http://www.irton.net/_wp_generated/pp70f9f7d7.png

A Border has a flat ribcage. They shouldnt be "sprung" as they are designed to go to ground. A barrel rib cage would make it impossible for them to move easily below ground. Spanning is a measure of the rib and brisket if you like. You must be able to get your hands round them. This is considered to be the way you tell if a terrier can go to ground. Its supposedly the guide for a vixen. Its imperative to a working terrier.
  6. MarchHound

MarchHound New Member

Name:
    Jeanna
    Ah, that makes sense.

How are they temperment wise?

I really like the red one <3 I didnt realise Borders came is such a variety of coat colour.
  7. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    ElaineP likes this.
    They can be very hard work. Very work oriented and highly prey driven. They can also be super in the right hands. Not really suitable for a novice and not the type of dog that will happily run loose and ignore things like squirrels, birds and anything else that moves! ;) They are wonderful if given enough mental and physical stimulation and an absolute nightmare if not!
  8. MarchHound

MarchHound New Member

Name:
    Jeanna
    Sounds a lot like my Jin! She is extreemly prey driven, unless whatever she is chasing stands up to her! (a cat, and a chicken, have done so!!!). They look really nice but I would love to meet some well bred and looked after ones in the flesh. I've only seen the occasional fat one owned by some fool who has no concept of feeding. -.-
  9. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I weighed Ted today and was shocked to find that he weighs 18lbs already...and he is not yet 8months old. So clearly he is going to finish up rather bigger than standard. He is all muscle though and actually looks very lean.
    Our BT is our first foray into living with a terrier and I adore him. However, his independence and self reliance have taken some getting used to after having mostly gun dogs. He is a great house dog and brilliant with the family and very very clever.
    He loves our cat, gets beaten up by a local feral cat but chases all others. He goes deaf if he smells pheasant or rabbit otherwise his recal is fab.
  10. Misty-Pup

Misty-Pup New Member

Name:
    Sarah x
    Dawn, I love your borders! :)

How do you think they compare to other working type terriers, patterdales etc?
  11. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha
    Got to be the most spotted terrier around maidenhead. Rarely saw one before moving out this way - seems to be a Lab/Springer/Border Terrier county!

Also managed to meet another Irish Terrier while out walking with an Irish Terrier - another breed I've not seen in donkey's only to have two come along at once.
  12. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Thank you. :grin:

They are not as fiery as Patts or Lakies.. They are very adaptable and will fit in with most lifestyles if given the correct stimulation.
  13. Roofs

Roofs New Member

Name:
    Lots
    I bought one for my first dog, I’ve had him just over six months and he is fantastic.

I can honestly say I wouldn’t swap him for the world, my family are cat people but even they have a soft spot for him. He’s very clever (especially if there is food involved!). Recall does need some work but I’ve yet to lose him (famous last words) I do though tend to pop him on lead if we are around livestock or traffic. He’s a bright little dog and he wants to meet, greet and lick everyone. I’ve never known him get cross or angry. He also seems to ‘know’ who he is playing with, with my OH he ‘gums’ his arms and they rough and tumble but with my sister (who was attacked by a dog as a child) he is gentle as a lamb and snuggles and licks her, he’s fantastic with children and never gets wound up by them. He’s good around horses and last month my other half bought him out whilst I rode my horse and we had dog off lead with the horse in the woods, both were very well behaved and kept out of each others way. He does suffer from selective hearing as if he is going to be off lead I always make sure I have a few treats with me and we do a few recalls where he gets a treat. (The only time recall really goes to pot is if he finds a friend to play with out walking and he’ll totally ignore me!)

My OH is living away for a year and I can honestly say I have no idea how I would have got though it without my border terrier.

He is an active dog but I really enjoy dog walking so this isn’t an issue, I try to give him at least 20 mins a day with a few big off lead walks thrown in for good measure.
  14. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    I would honestly say the 'easiest' of the terriers.

Loves walks, loves cuddles, loves chilling out. Goes along with whatever the day throws.

Early habituation to wildlife is a must (as with all terriers), but they are quick, clever and mischievous (in the nicest possible way) little dogs with big hearts and big characters :)