Utonagan General Chat

Discussion in 'Utonagan' started by Timber-, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Timber-

Timber- New Member

Name:
    Timber

Utonagan

Seeing all the photos of Loki has peeked my interest in the Utonagan. I've read up about the breed, but you can read forever about something but still not know or understand completely.

The first hand experiences from those that live with the breed is an invaluable form of research.

So, I was hoping whoever lives with a (or more than one) Utonagan, can you tell me what they're like. Even those that have met one your input will be much appreciated.

Ready..set...go!! :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    I've got 4 - will I qualify:twisted: :mrgreen:
  4. Timber-

Timber- New Member

Name:
    Timber
    Hmmmm, let me think about that for a second...........you're damned right you are!! :)

I know you live with them too but I can't remember their names, sorry. Please don't get offended. :blush:
  5. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Brandykins likes this.
    This is Maelona (Lona for short)

[​IMG]

This is Cariad

[​IMG]

This is Mabs - Lona's daughter - she is now 14 months

[​IMG]

This is Keshini (Keshi for short) - Cariad's daughter - aged 4 months

[​IMG]
  6. Timber-

Timber- New Member

Name:
    Timber
    All are stunning but Cariad has captured my heart. :007:
  7. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Everybody goes for Cariad because of her looks:lol:
  8. Timber-

Timber- New Member

Name:
    Timber
    She has such a soft look. I love them all.
  9. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    She is the hardest work of them all, what a drama queen:evil:
  10. Happy Harry

Happy Harry New Member

Name:
    Harry
    I have been looking into these dogs found a good site on facebook under the name of T.U.B.R'S UTONAGAN.
    lots on there with them and lots of people with 2 or more and someone called lyn barraclough been putting up some fantastic pictures.
  11. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    I am a founder member of TUBR and Lyn is the lady who bred my Cariad and Lona
  12. Happy Harry

Happy Harry New Member

Name:
    Harry
    so who runs it then ? is there just you and her as never seen a website
  13. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    The Utonagan Breed Registry is a co-operative formed by 4 Utonagan breeders, including myself. We breed Utonagan from the original lines developed over 30 years ago, we are also in the midst of bringing fresh health checked bloodlines in from the original breeds used to develop the dogs.
    There is a website under development at present, however all of us work independently of each other, whilst at the same time we maintain a certain standard and level of commitment to the breed.
    All puppies are bred from health checked, registered parents. Before leaving the breeder puppies are eye screened, vet checked,microchipped, have their first vaccination and are registered with us.
  14. Happy Harry

Happy Harry New Member

Name:
    Harry
    sounds good,
    will look into it more,
    Im one who searches things through with a fine tooth comb.
    was thinking if there is any pups around.
  15. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    I will be having Lona scanned in 2 weeks and then I will know if I am having any Little Visitors. If so they will be due May 7th
  16. Happy Harry

Happy Harry New Member

Name:
    Harry
    very nice congratulations
    seems to be few differences between this breed in looks,
    Im looking at the different types seen one or two who's right up my alley
  17. Lynne

Lynne New Member

Name:
    Lynne
    May 7th would have been my Mums birthday. :grin:
  18. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    There are 2 different types of Utonagan, the rough coat (like Cariad and Keshi) and the double coat (like Lona and Mabs) you can get both types in the one litter.
    May 7th is also the day that my horse Isis was born TaffsMum.:lol:
    Yesterday when I was doing the kennels I was in the sleeping compartment in the Puppy Palace and I found a massive load of wet, now they never ever do anything ever in the sleeping compartment, and even in the main bit it is unusual for me to find anything, sometimes the odd damp patch. Today it is all bone dry in there, (was thinking it may have been Keshi but it was a very big wet patch) and am wondering if she has lost the babies to be honest. She was showing all the normal signs of being preggers up till then and I was as sure as I could be that she was, so will get her scanned at 5 weeks anyway then I will know. If there is nothing there, then I will make an appointment for her to be spayed, it is a shame, but just one of those things.
  19. Lynne

Lynne New Member

Name:
    Lynne
    Aww no.i hope she's not lost them. You've not had much luck lately.:-(
  20. Balas mum

Balas mum New Member

Name:
    natalie
    Fingers crossed for you.Its so nice to hear of a breeder who is doing things properly.please keep us up dated with any news.
  21. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Well I was very iffy as you know about this litter, what made me do it was that it was my last chance for Lona to go with this dog me and my friend had bought specifically for the breeding programme and for her to go with, so we have basically wasted 2 years if we hadn't have done the mating. I won't be mating her again now, she has more than earned the time to put her feet up with the 2 litters she has given me. If she has lost them then it wasn't meant to be and something was wrong possibly. Will see how I am in myself if Mabs's health tests come back good in around 2 years time. I will have had time to rest up myself after the the last 2 years as they have been very hectic and tiring, not to say expensive!!! Plus will get more time to spend with all my girlies and just have fun with them and enjoy them. Animals aren't machines and you have to take the good with the bad, part of life really.
    Anyway see what happens, she is 5 weeks a week this coming Saturday, so will make an appointment for Monday 22 April and then we will know for sure as they will show up by then