Looking for as much information as possible on border terriers Questions

Discussion in 'Border Terrier' started by kayjo1983, Jul 2, 2013.

1. kayjo1983

kayjo1983 New Member

Name:
    Kay

Looking for as much information as possible on border terriers

hi all,

i'm now to the forum and looking to find out some first hand information on border terriers from people who may have or had one . ive been reading up lots of factsheets online and find a lot of them contradict one another. so if anyone could help.
    what are their temperaments like? I have 8 and 6 year old children so would this breed be suitable around children. Also do they shed a lot, one website I read said they don't shed at all whilst another said they were heavy shedders.

Thanks
    Kay x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    I can't help you Kay but we have a member here called Borderdawn. If you see her on line, she is the one to help you.
    Hope you get some answers soon.
  4. kayjo1983

kayjo1983 New Member

Name:
    Kay
    thanks nippy, hopefully borderdawn will see my message.

Kay
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Sorry only just seen this.

They are an active, outgoing terrier. They are great family dogs in the right hands. They need mental and physical stimulation. They retain all of the working instincts. They do not "moult" but they do lose hair. They require hand stripping at least twice a year.

I would suggest you meet some in their home environment. You are welcome to see mine, but I do not know where you live, it may be too far.

Ask anything you like.
  6. lkile

lkile New Member

Name:
    Lowell
    All dogs are wonderful but if you speak to lots of BT owners you will find an extraordinarily enthusiastic group of people. Borders are incredible little characters. Bright, affectionate, athletic ..... and oh how they love their "families".

They can be quite independent. They can have very "selective" hearing. They need lots of exercise. Their brains need challenging. That takes time. If you don't have the time then get a dog that doesn't require so much effort. If your kids are civilized a Border would have no problem with them. They like people!!

A terrific book is available - "Border Terrier", edited by Betty Judge. Published by The Pet Book Publishing Company Limited ISBN 978-1-906305-13-0
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
  7. lkile

lkile New Member

Name:
    Lowell
    Shedding? Forgot about that. Before I got Barney I had read that Borders don't shed. Also read that they do shed. The answer? The do shed. Burt not masses.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
  8. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Hang on a mo! Anyone going to see Dawn's dogs will get to see the PUPPIES TOO!
  9. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    We should organise a bus trip:lol:
  10. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    8)

Dawn is probably sorry she spoke now!
  11. Borderdawn