Welcome to Breedia! Announcements

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Azz, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz

Welcome to Breedia!

Hey Everyone!

Welcome to the brand new Breedia website - which now also includes this forum :)

Breedia is Dogsey's first 'puppy'! A spin-off site from the Dogsey Breed Profiles ...we thought they did such a great job promoting breeds, that they deserved their own site!

But why stop there? Breedia is the perfect venue for lots, and lots of breed-specific forums, but interlinked, so having shared areas for everyone, as well as group type forums (such as a Gundogs, or Working Dogs Forums) as well.

We think having shared areas like this will help tackle the boredom people often complain about on single-breed forums, that can sometimes be small and slow.

As this is a spin-off site, we have also moved the threads from the Dog Breeds sections in Dogsey over to Breedia. This means that all Dogsey members can log in as well - so if you joined before 15 December 2013 you do not need to sign up here again - simply log in with your usual username or password - if that doesn't work, let me know by using the contact us page. Also, we may delete or archive any accounts that have not logged into Breedia within 6 months - so if you really want to keep your account here, be sure to log in!

A fresh new site raring to take the dog breed space by storm ...I hope you like it here, and choose to make it a regular online hangout :)

There are lots of great new features on this forum - here are a few worth mentioning:

Watched forums

You can watch (or subscribe to) any forum on Breedia - you need never miss a new thread about your breed again! Simply navigate to your breed's forum, then click on 'Watch Forum'. You can then specify whether you would like an email alert, or an on-site alert, or whether you just want to watch it so that it shows up in your watched list - which you can get to from the main nav at the top of this page. For now I suggest getting an email alert - you can always change the setting afterwards :)

Follow Friends!

You can now follow your friends! There are benefits in doing this (see below). Some of you will notice that you are already following people - these are people you added as a 'buddy' on Dogsey, and the people following you, are those that added you as a buddy. Chances are these are old though - because many of us stopped using the buddy system years ago, but still, it's nice that some of us come with ready made 'friends' :D

Friends activity!

You can easily stay up to date with what your friends are up to! This page (link in the main nav above) will show you what they have posted, and what posts or threads they have liked too :) This list shows activity for all members you are following. You can set who can follow you via your control panel.

Upload images!

You can now upload images directly into threads!

Alerts!

You get alerts for all sorts of things, from when you are quoted or @mentioned, to when a thread you are following was replied in. It's pretty neat - check it out!

@mentions

You can now mention your friends (eg, @Azz), and they get alerted ...if they have not turned it off that is :lol:

Plus lots more!

There really is a lot of features here, and some of our regulars on Dogsey helped test the new software last year, they loved it - I hope you will too!

Please help spread the word

If you know anyone who is fanatical about a breed, or dog breeds in general - please let them know about Breedia. We think Breedia just might become the definitive place to discuss (and hopefully, better) dog breeds everywhere - so if you know anyone into a breed, who might like to influence what's going on with their breed internationally as well as locally, please let them know about Breedia!

If you have any suggestions, or feedback - please let me know!

Enjoy!
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Here are a few things to do:

• Upload a new avatar - the old ones copied over are small and pixelated
    • Post some photos of your dogs - you can upload directly to the site!
    • Start some threads about your favourite breeds :D

If the section for your breed isn't up yet, let me know here and I'll add it to the to do list ;)
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    alexajohn likes this.
    Hellllllo world - we are now live :D
  5. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    MollysMum and Azz like this.
    Well done Guys!
    This is so cool:)
  6. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Azz likes this.
    Hi Azz. The forum is looking good and has a great deal of potential for providing a lot of in depth knowledge on different breeds. Might be missing it though, but where is the behaviour forum you mentioned there would be?
  7. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Hi Louise - glad you like it :)

Right ok... there are still a few things left to do, and one of them is adding a drop down menu when you are inside a forum - the drop down will show the categories for each forum (including the behaviour one).

You can still post threads into the behaviour category, and you can currently either find them by clicking on the behaviour category when you see it next to a thread (look halfway down this page for an example), or, by going to a forum and using the 'Thread Display Options' menu which is right at the bottom.

We hope to get the proper drop down nav sorted at some point - but the functionality to put your threads into categories is there - lover you avatar btw :)
  8. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Cool - I am sure we will get there... eventually :lol:

Take a look at this forum to see what I mean http://www.forum.breedia.com/dogs/akita/ I think most of the forums will have a good variety of categories showing on the first page or two, making it easier to find those kind of topics.

But yeah, it is definitely on the cards to have a drop down at the top of each forum to make it easier :D

(PS I will move our posts to the announcement, so others can see it as well)
  9. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Yep, I think the sub categories should be ok, and will be something I should get used to eventually. Just wondering if all new members would know that's how they have to search for behaviour related questions. Still think we need a puppy forum though! :D

Oh and the animated emoticons are not animating for me and struggling to load properly.
  10. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Which ones... these kinds >> :lol: :026::041:

Or do you mean when you click on them while writing a post? I think it might be your browser settings, as I remember someone else mentioning it once and it was one of their settings.

Re puppy forum, do you mean a puppy category in each breed forum? Or one in the general chat section or a dedicated puppy section? I just worry that there might be a crossover - as a puppy thread could also be a photo, or health or behaviour thread (and I think the health and behaviour ones are important as people will probably keep an eye out for them) see what I mean?
  11. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks Eileen, glad you like it :D
  12. Bamb

Bamb New Member

Name:
    Alethea
    Azz likes this.
    Hi everyone the new forum looks cool well done
  13. Dr.D

Dr.D New Member

Name:
    Dr. D
    Good morning Azz. This new site is fantastic and it is an excellent place to research dog breeds. I own, or rather, they own me, a four year old Bernese Mountain Dog and a 9 month old Loughlander. A breed that is probably unknown to you at this point in time. My Loughlander is a cross between a Bernese Mountain Dog and a Newfoundland. This was not an accidental breeding but a continuation that they breeder has been doing for a number of years. The breeder is a registered KC breeder of Bernese Mountain Dogs and Newfoundland Dogs, also a Crufts Show Judge and all round pet lover. Unfortunately there is no internet connection where they live right now but will be soon. Although my bitch is not registered at the moment but will be if I decide to breed her. I have enclosed three photographs and as you can see, two are of my Bernese and one is my Loughlander. Unfortunately my Berner has just had to have two major operations as both her Cruciate Ligaments ruptured, (not uncommon for the breed) She has now fully recovered with no impairments to her legs. DSCN0337.jpg 100_0089.JPG IMG_0001_2.jpg
  14. elainetodd52

elainetodd52 New Member

Name:
    elaine
    huncoater and Azz like this.
    Brilliant new site. Well done guys loving it!
  15. bulbie

bulbie New Member

Name:
    Tina
    Azz likes this.
    This is very cool, guys!
  16. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Other animated emoticons work for me on other sites, so not sure it's my settings.

Regarding the puppy forum, I just meant a dedicated puppy forum. It would be nice for people to show off their pups and ask puppy related questions and it all to be kept in one forum. I'm on another site that has a "choosing the right dog" forum, then a "puppy one" and they tie in nicely with each other.

I know when I end up getting my pup it would be nice to show it off and not have it lost under it's breed category. Some breeds aren't as popular as others so posting in the breed forums might not get noticed.
  17. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I see what you mean now - a bit like our 'Which breed for me' category in the General Chat Section: http://www.forum.breedia.com/dogs/general-dog-chat/?prefix_id=17 - do you think that covers it, or do we need something like a step after that? (or maybe even rename it to 'choosing the right dog' ?)

Re puppy section... I think a dedicated section might have the opposite affect :lol: wherein people go to a breed section looking for puppy photos but they are in a separate section. Or did you mean a category in the breed specific forums? Something like Puppy Power! (For photos/chat etc) but with normal health and behaviour/training topics etc go into those categories.

Re animated icons, do you mean them showing in posts, or when you go to add them?
  18. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Ok second batch of the mailer has gone out - I was going to wait until tomorrow but couldn't resist :lol:
  19. Floppyears

Floppyears New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Azz likes this.
    Brilliant site I can spend hours looking at information about different breeds so I'm sure I'll be a very frequent visitor.
    Thanks Azz.
  20. Shaz464

Shaz464 New Member

Name:
    Sharron
    Azz likes this.
    Great site I will be a frequent visitor
  21. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks guys - glad you like it :D