Anyone on Breedia with an Irish Water Spaniel? General Chat

Discussion in 'Irish Water Spaniel' started by Janet, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Azz likes this.

Anyone on Breedia with an Irish Water Spaniel?

Seeing Irish Water Spaniels on the Vulnerable Breeds list on another thread, made me wonder if anyone here has one?

I love them. Years ago I mentioned to the vet I had at the time that I hoped to get one, and he begged me not to! Apparently he had one as a patient, and in his words it was 'an absolute swine' and told me to stick to Standard Poodles.

Despite what he said, I'd love to have one one day!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    I love them too, Janet. Had them on my shortlist at one point.
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I don't think I have ever seen one either. Stunning breed.
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I first liked the sound of them from what I read as a child (and I read a lot about dogs - I could quote the Observer's Book of Dogs off by heart I think). When I first when to Crufts, back in the sixties, I searched them out, and when I saw about six of them on the benches I said a delighted 'Hello!' And all six started wagging their tails and looking at me with such intelligent expressions. Beautiful eyes! It would be very sad if dogs of such character were ever to die out.
  6. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Don't have one, but they were on my short list when looking for a new dog, I see them at shows, the not think that put me off was when speaking to breeders I was told they can be iffy with other dogs, and once made an enemy will never forget.

That put me off, but still love the look of them
  7. Floppyears

Floppyears New Member

Name:
    Karen
    I knew somebody who used to breed them and she said the same. She re homed two at different times because they were causing so much trouble at home with her other dogs.
  8. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    What a pity - perhaps that's what my vet was talking about when he described the one he knew as 'an absolute swine.'

It surprises me because the impression they give (the very few I've met) is of being good natured dogs.
  9. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I think it's like anything you have to research your breeder.... The lasting feeling I got about the breed was, they can be wilful ( not unlike PWD) but if they make enemies they never forget, but as with all dogs. Individuality will be at the forefront.

I do love this breed and to be honest most I see at shows are lovely dogs.
  10. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Yes - research is vital. I doubt that I'll ever get one - though googling has just shown me that there is an Irish Water Spaniel Rescue based about twelve miles from me! So not far to go for advice - and it would be interesting to know whether it's their headstrong nature and tendency to hold a grudge that makes people give up on them.
  11. Floppyears

Floppyears New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Janet likes this.
    I must confess the breeder I knew wasn't known for her patience! I think if it was to be an only dog they would definitely still be on my shortlist:)
  12. DannyG

DannyG New Member

Name:
    Greggy
    If i can shed some light on the mather. Here is my take on IWS. I have had many dogs in my life from Labs, GSP, Goldens, Blue Healers, and i can say that the IWS is by far the best dogs ive ever had. It's not a dog for beginners as it is very intelligent and energetic. This is what makes this dog a great working dog but not so good at a family pet. It will not put up with neglect meaning don't leave him/her at home all day and not take them out for a good run after work or they will find something to do when you are not around. As a hunting partner they are the best, no other dogs comes closes. Unfortunately they don't perform well in the hunt test as they are very intelligent and will not entertain being your slave. They are your partner and they see it that way meaning if they are hunting that means find birds. They will find everything that is in your gun range on the way to the retrieve. Unlike other dogs that will only go were you tell them to and ignore all birds on the way. Sounds crazy to want a dog like that but trust me when you are out hunting in a group and your dog is always finding the birds that is when it counts not at a hunt test in an arena. You also get a bonus of an upland bird dog they will hunt on land like a Spaniel find rabbit, deer anything you ask of him. If you are going to work the dog you don't have to hunt it can be just swimming or running any activity you will be very happy with an IWS. But the wait will be long if you want one as there is only a hand full of breeders in North America.
  13. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    That was an interesting read, thank you! They are very unusual here in the UK and I think that most people wouldn't recognise one (they'd probably assume it was a poodle cross).
  14. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    If you go on YouTube and type in “ naturally happy dogs “ there is a video on the Irish Water spanial, it’s a UK Chanel and it’s an insight in to some breeds the IWS being one of them the PWD is another along with a number of others.