Brushes/Combs Grooming

Discussion in 'Newfoundland' started by TeenageCanineLover, Nov 24, 2014.

1. TeenageCanineLover

TeenageCanineLover New Member

Name:
    Emma

Brushes/Combs

Hey everyone.
    Would be grateful if anyone could recommend or share with me the tools that they use when brushing their Newfs?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Never own one but am guessing you need under coat brush as well as over coat brush, plus will need at least 2 hours each day to groom a Newfoundland
  4. TeenageCanineLover

Name:
    Emma
    That's not necessarily true.
    When they're blowing their coats they will need thorough daily brushing but other than that short daily sessions with one long session a week should suffice.
    What about a Furminator?
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    The Furminator website gives a list of breeds which it says (though of course they would say that wouldn't they!) are suitable for a Furminator, and the Newfoundland is listed. They also have a much shorter list of breeds which aren't suitable.
  6. TeenageCanineLover

Name:
    Emma
    Thanks
  7. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    If you key in "How to groom a Newfoundland" you'll find videos and information such as what combs, brushes etc you need. It's what I did when I first had my Miniature Schnauzer who needs daily grooming. Although he's tiny compared to a Newfie - only weighs about 9kgs, it still takes me a good half hour every evening brushing and combing his coat. He's taken to a professional groomer every three months which is something you'll also have to into consideration.
  8. TeenageCanineLover

Name:
    Emma
    Thanks will do
  9. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Just been on phone to a professional dog groomer & he said it takes him around 3 hours to bath/groom a Newfoundland, here is what he uses :
    Sticker brush ?
    Metal come
    Thinning shears
    Matt rake
    Smoothing brush.

He said legs/feet around the bottom & ears need brushing every day to prevent lugs.
    Start from the end of the fur working upwards to body, as this will stop fur from being ripped out.
  10. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Neighbor behind me has 2 full grown males and spends at least 1hr a day grooming each. And with that they still shed a lot.
  11. TeenageCanineLover

Name:
    Emma
    I have a yorkie and brush her legs and underneath everyday anyway so I understand the need for this.
    You're not brushing to stop shedding though, you're brushing to take care of the coat and to keep the skin healthy and the dog comfortable. If it does reduce shedding that's just a "bone-us" (sorry for pun couldn't resist)

Also it's a slicker brush I think you mean :)
  12. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Why I love my brush once a week for a hour to cut down on shedding pooch.
    But then he does make up for the hair with drool.
  13. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    No its called a sticker brush/comb that's what they are advertised as, in my friends grooming catalogue where he buys all of his brushes/combs from.
    imagesZSSBZIRN.jpg imagesKF4ANN1N.jpg imagesBQBJ789T.jpg
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @6JRT's - Tina, the top one is known as a shedding blade. The dog trainer who helped me with Pereg when she went through the Kevin stage told me about them as he used one on his Golden Retrievers.

So I bought one for Pereg and she is far happier with that than the Furminator.

I am not sure it would be much good on a long coated dog like a Newfie or a Leo though.

I have never seen one like the bottom picture.
  15. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    @Malka Not sure I just asked a friend who's a professional groomer & the brushes/combs above are advertises as Sticker combs/brushes in his catalogue the round one says idea for undercoats x
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It can depend on whether you are trying to get rid of all dead hair - or preserving the appearance for the show ring. I always liked to use a T shaped (blunt) grooming rake for the body area of long coated dogs. I still use one on Tweed's legs, but a comb and stripping knife for her wiry body coat. For Eddie its just a greyhound comb and a polish with a smooth bristle brush, or a rubber block if he's casting.
  17. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Ah, I can remember the dilemma of which brushes and combs to get when I got Pepe the Poodle and also for Bogie the cocker spaniel.
    A smooth coated Chihuahua like Chico is MUCH easier!
  18. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I use a baby's brush on the puppies at The Rescue Home, so they are use to being brushed.
    I use an grooming cloth on my JRT's as they don't need brushing.