is a pug good idea ? General Chat

Discussion in 'Pug' started by Flaningo, Dec 17, 2014.

?

would a pug be a good idea ?

1. yes

100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flaningo

Flaningo New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    I
    I am thinking of other breeds as well now
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I hope you are not angry with me for trying to explain how I feel. Sometimes I do not explain myself very well - but I am thinking of your son and a puppy and what I would do in the circumstances.
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    If you are willing to consider something larger than a Pug, a Staffie can be a wonderful dog for children.
  5. Flaningo

Flaningo New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    No way not a staffie too many horror stories
  6. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I think it depends on you needs and wants really as to what kind of dog you get. You have pretty much laid those out. As with any dog, different dogs in that breed will have different personalities. Generally speaking, a purebred dog is easier to judge what their temperament will be rather than a mutt. Not saying you shouldn't get a Pug but am glad you are looking at other breeds. I have a Lab mix and he is wonderful not only with my daughter but with the cat and rabbit as well. Adding a dog to a family is a lot to think about. Glad you are thinking and researching before doing!
  7. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    The poor old staffie gets too much flak, mine is a total babe and 100% trustworthy, like every other dog on the planet it all depends on how they're raised.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Flaningo

Flaningo New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
  9. Flaningo

Flaningo New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Looking at spaniels now. They seem merry easy to train and good wìth children....
  10. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I had a cocker spaniel that bit my young son on several occasions, I certainly wouldn't have trusted him with a special needs child. You can't really just pick a breed and assume they will be either good or bad tbh.
  11. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Trouble, Malka and Janet like this.
    I think a Staffy would be brilliant dog to get as they are known as nanny dogs.
  12. Flaningo

Flaningo New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Thats why people do Research duh !!! I am not just picking breeds I am researching them too .
  13. Flaningo

Flaningo New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    If your cocker spaniel kept biting your son why did you not get the animal put down ??
  14. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Malka likes this.
    Because animals are not disposable, I made a lifetime commitment to him when I bought him as a pup, yeah after doing extensive research doh! I also had the dog first. All your research will tell you is general characteristics of the breed, what if you end up with one that's not typical? Will you pts? because I wouldn't, I adapted my life for the next 10 years to accommodate him.
    If your research is that great you really shouldn't be so dismissive of someone who's actually lived with one for 10 years.
  15. Flaningo

Flaningo New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    I think I would be protecting my son first
  16. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    So you'd pts without trying to resolve the situation. Hmmmm best you don't get a dog.
  17. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Was it a case of Cocker rage do you think? I knew one years ago - a red - which showed all the signs. Bogie is my second Cocker, and I've been lucky each time.

Glad you stuck by him.
  18. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    It was but it couldn't be foreseen, which is my point. Spaniels also need a great deal of mental and physical exercise. Personally I think a spaniel would be a disaster in this situation. The original idea of a Pug was probably the best bet, a well bred kc Staffie would be equally good.
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's, Janet and Trouble like this.
    If I was ever to have another dog it would be a Staffie. Unfortunately they are not permitted to be imported here, but if they were I would have no hesitation in welcoming one into my home.

Trouble's Diesel is my idea of a really special dog. Well he would be if he had indoor and not outdoor plumbing!

[Sorry Diesel :oops:]
  20. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Dogs to avoid in my opinion are as followed :
    Collies
    Corgies
    Dachshunds
    JRT's
    Springer Spaniels
    Designer breeds
    Toy breeds
    Pekingese

If your really interested in having a dog, then contact service dogs organizations, they will have more advice on what would be your ideal dog, they might even have some dogs in waiting for a new home, they they could offer to you.
  21. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Malka and Janet like this.
    There's no need for that type of language Flaningo, what Trouble said is true, one don't put dogs to sleep just because they have issues, you find a way to work round the issues not just get rid of dog.
    Dogs are not toys they are an living creature, they have feeling, they need to be loved & cared for every day every week every month every year.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.