Malinois Pitbull mix - very rare dog breed! Anyone else with similar? Photos

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by mrmueller, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Honey5

Honey5 New Member

Name:
    Honey
    Trace0 likes this.
    The cancer was hemangiosarcoma. Boxers are just one of several breeds prone to it, but we suspected she was mixed with boxer all along, so when the vet mentioned he had seen a lot of boxers get it, I sorta kicked myself. Knowing wouldn't have prevented the outcome in her case, but it got me thinking about the usefulness of knowing the dog's genetic history (something you obviously miss out on with a shelter dog, or dishonest breeder).

For example, in the new dog's case, I've read that Belgian malinois may be more sensitive to anesthesia than other breeds, so I would bring up this concern with the vet in the event he needed surgery. He's a big sturdy guy, but they might be more conservative or watchful with his dosing when they otherwise would just go by his weight. And I'm extra diligent about brushing his teeth to avoid the need for future dental procedures requiring anesthesia (I should do this anyway as a responsible dog owner but it was an extra incentive).
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    There are far too many of those types of breeders. If the bybs & mills stopped we'd see a big dog population reduction in probably only a few short years. I think it'does even be so with oops litters but obviously without those too there would be so much less dogs. We wouldn't have an over population issue.

It's hard to say with a mix, I wasn't even thinking about that. So he could be a mixture of colors but still sounds and looks to have some Seal coloring. I've had and seen Seal dogs that look grayish also but they are black nose & not dilutes. The color usually is reddish or brownish but it can be lighter as well. It can also be lightened at times by the sun or before blowing coat you have the thicker hair that's tan. In some dogs they are light enough you can see brindle coat if they should happen to also be brindle.

[​IMG]
    Here is a seal Pit Bull. Fairly similar, there is usually some variance.

Yes that's true of Boxers but it's also one of the more common cancers in Pit Bulls. I lost a Pitterstaff to it about 8yrs ago. If you go to the American Pit Bull Terrier forum on here I made a post about health concerns in the APBT. Hemangiosarcoma is a type of mastocytoma. I always worry when my dogs have any little skin anomaly since it could be this devil. It is even worse when it forms internally and you don't know until it's too late really.

I've one getting a dental today, among other things. I hate when dogs go under.
  4. Honey5

Honey5 New Member

Name:
    Honey
    His color in the outdoor pics looks a lot like the seal pit, you could be right! Is that a solid color? I always thought of seal as a solid, brownish-black sort of thing, but as you see, I know nothing of dog colors! I attached an extreme close up, indoor lighting. His coloring is kind of a blend.

I hope your dog's dental went OK! I know how agonizing that can be.

Sorry to hear about your Pitterstaff, I had no idea it was a type of mastocytoma. Her hemangiosarcoma was around the liver. There were no outward signs until she became extremely tired one day, then within hours she had difficulty walking, her gums became pale, so we rushed her to the vet and found out she had an inoperable tumor that had burst! She had little skin growths here and there that we always had checked, but the vet always ruled them benign. I'll try to find your post. I hope we didn't miss a skin version of it and it made its way to the liver :(

Attached Files:

5. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    It is black with the red/brown under tones, but they can be lighter. The red hairs could be bleed through, whether it's just incomplete dominance of Black or another gene that weakens it who knows. Though in the close up pic of your dog it does look more like he has the banded hairs of Sable Shepherds. I can see clearly the interspersing of brown & black hairs.

The dental went okay, but one of the things the other things she had was an impromptu tumor removal. She was already under getting a polishing so I figured get it done. I had recently noticed what looked like a mole & black skin tag. Small growths can be benign as your vet told you but the color was concern and fairly sudden appearance. They removed everything but must send to University to find out if it is malignant.

I'm sorry to hear that. That's the worse. That's what is so scary having a dog seem fine until it is too late. There probably isn't anything you could have done. My dog had a small skin growth that was benign but then became malignant. The cancer ended up going to lymph system & liver, then to lungs.
  6. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Legbefore.jpg
    Few days ago

Legafter.jpg
    Today. They took everything so hopefully even if it is cancer she will be fine.
  7. Honey5

Honey5 New Member

Name:
    Honey
    It's strange how his coat looks so different just a few feet away! Honestly, I thought he was black until we gave him a good bath n'brush (like 5 lbs of hair came out and he looked a lot lighter, & thinner!) when we first adopted him.

Fingers crossed those moles/tags on your dog are benign! That is a great idea to take pics, easy to notice changes that way. I am going to make a point to do that if the new dog ever gets a weird skin thing! That's a good point, something that is initially benign can always change.

Anyway, hope your dog is not bothering her stitches! That's great they were able to get in there while she was knocked out, it looks like they were very thorough!
  8. Desertelf USA

Desertelf USA New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Azz likes this.
    I believe my mix is malinios/pit bull too! My male pup is 7 months old and he is the fastest learning dog I have ever owned. Our son brought him home with that sad little boy face and the "please can we keep him" echoed through our house. Our puppy is gentle and loving with young children. He is playful and energetic with the older children. He quickly adapted to our pack and is very protective. He is aggressive around strange dogs. At 7 months knows at least 20 words. Jumps about 4', and runs very fast in figure eights around the kids.
    At first everyone asked if he was part Shepard but the only parent breed we are sure of is pit bull.
    Recently a gentleman exclaimed, "oh you have a Belgian Malinios mix!" My husband and I quickly went to Google to find out more about the breed. We never heard of the breed before so imagine our surprise when we saw your picture.
    Is there a way to have a dog tested to find out?

Attached Files:

9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Have to say GSD came to my mind first too :lol:

Lovely looking dog :)
  10. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    He's a beauty! Hope you can sort out the aggression round strange dogs - he sounds perfect in every other way.

Unfortunately for me, the 'please can we keep him' never worked for me when I was little!

There are various DNA kits you can buy, but I don't know how accurate they really are.
  11. Btsbarton

Btsbarton New Member

Name:
    Bee
    Azz and CaroleC like this.
    Seems my dog Fritz looks a lot like the other malinois pitbull mixes in this thread. I just adopted him last week, he was listed as GSD mix, but the coloring seems more Mali. GSD pitbull mixes all seem to have floppy ears, though the coloring is similar. He weighs about 75#, could still serve to gain a few more. Very strong, extreme Prey drive. But also seems to be very smart, but does have some learning to do. He's super affectionate, friendly, and gentle. Loves attention. 20151108_102558.jpg 20151108_102556.jpg 20151101_154316.jpg
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    What a smart looking dog he is!
    What were the bandages for?
  13. Btsbarton

Btsbarton New Member

Name:
    Bee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Long story short he chased a heard of elk, while running full throttle they the woods, he got a couple cuts on his ankles.

I tried to keep up and catch him but he was too fast. I lost sight of him, went back to the house and he was there waiting for me. Thankfully. I thought I might have lost him.
  14. MandyMouse

MandyMouse New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    I have a 4yr old one, only difference is he is all black :)

Attached Files:

15. IzzyMarie96

IzzyMarie96 New Member

Name:
    Izzy
    Sorry to bump this thread again... I'm from the United States and I found this forum when doing some research. Myself and the person who pulled my Belgian Malinois mix from the shelter (for her working potential) are almost certain her other half is Pitbull. Her coat FB_IMG_1472385636344.jpg IMG_3009-1.jpg
    is super thin like that of a pits and her body structure is not really mal at all. The closest thing I can relate it to is pit. A lot of the dogs on this thread seem to be very similar if not identical to her, temperament and structure wise.
    She is an excellent dog. Very well rounded, super smart, good with other dogs and people, highly observant, and very intense. She has proven to be an excellent companion and competition partner, and I wouldn't trade her for the world! 20160803_195658.jpg
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    A great looking dog, I'm glad she found someone who could realise her potential.
  17. Ghostie

Ghostie New Member

Name:
    Whitleigh
    I have a 3 year old tan brendle Belgian pit bull mix she incredibly smart.
  18. eslr72

eslr72 New Member

Name:
    Erin Roberts
    I am so happy to find this thread and sorry for being so late to the game. I have an almost 3 year old pit/mal mix (pic attached) and he is the sweetest, most eager to please, smartest dog ever, but soooo needy and extremely aggressive with new dogs. We cannot get close to other dogs on walks. He even gets a little squirrely around little kids. He comes from a litter of 5 -- the 2 males were his blond/brown color and all of the females were a dark brindle. He was the chillest of the litter![​IMG]
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome to the forum Erin. What do you call your boy? He certainly is a good looking dog.
  20. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Have any good pics?
  21. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Which parent was the Mali?