Presa canario behavior modification General Chat

Discussion in 'Presa Canario' started by Bruce7604, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Bruce7604

Bruce7604 New Member

Name:
    Bruce

Presa canario behavior modification

I am in the process of adopting 2 year old Presa female, she is not good with cats I have two cats any advice on introduction/training/behavior modification, please advice.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    LMost likes this.
    Hi Bruce, welcome.

It's possible that the dog may or may not ever be ok with cats, it depends on the dogs history and how the dog has matured to that date - did the rescue see how she is with them? Are they advising a no-other (or small) pet household?
  4. Bruce7604

Bruce7604 New Member

Name:
    Bruce
  5. Bruce7604

Bruce7604 New Member

Name:
    Bruce
    Azz likes this.
    Hi Azz,
    They said that maybe with behavior modification she will be ok, I am not sure but I think it's no agression but pray drive. Thank you.
  6. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Azz likes this.
    Yes it most likely is prey drive and not aggression. If there not raised around them from a pup in the home, it will be a pretty rough road.
    Presa's and Dogo's people generally raise with other animals and there perfectly fine with them. If the she has not been raised with other animals it may be possible, but I would advice professional help.
  7. Bruce7604

Bruce7604 New Member

Name:
    Bruce
    Yeah, I don't think she was exposed to cats at all as a puppy. She is also dog aggressive. But great with people thought very protective.
  8. Bruce7604

Bruce7604 New Member

Name:
    Bruce
    Azz likes this.
    Anyone have any suggestions or advice how to proceed? I really would like to adopt her.
  9. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Fenrirwolf, Azz and LMost like this.
    I'm a bit confused because reading your profile you say you already own a Fila and a Bull Terrier, and you're now proposing to adopt a Presa, with no knowledge of how she's going to react to cats and who has a history of dog aggression. Much as you would like to adopt her please think carefully about what you might be letting yourself in for!
  10. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Azz likes this.
    Ty for seeing that Pork1epe1.
    Bruce if you have a Fila, I would advise against this. You can try a intro on neutral ground with first the fila then the terrier, and then maybe both.

Real problem is a Fila of real temper is going to be out to protect any person or animal it accepts and while a Presa is a quick powerful dog it is in NO way a match for a Fila, and if a fila wants to get to a dog in the household they will figure out a way, there fantastic problem solvers.
  11. Bruce7604

Bruce7604 New Member

Name:
    Bruce
    Ok, let me clarify a bit... I currently have no dogs just two cats, I used own Fila about 8 years ago and my Bull Terrier passed away last year. Sorry for the confusion. I appreciate all the answers and looking forward for any suggestions and ideas.
    Thank you guys.
  12. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    I'd go with a trainer as far as the cats. Future plans for dogs may be another issue.